Is your new iPhone XS Max battery draining so quickly? It may sound odd but possible to occur. To find out what triggers early battery draining problem to occur on your new iOS device and how to deal with, scroll down and read further.
Seldom will you hear of new smartphones showing symptoms of rapid battery draining especially the high-end models and those that sports higher battery capacity. But there are many factors that can trigger such problem to occur regardless of the device classification and platform it runs on. Battery draining problems occurring on new devices are most likely attributed to software errors like bad apps, update bugs and malware, to name some.
Now, before anything else, if you have other issues with your phone, make sure you drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already provided solutions to hundreds of problems reported by our readers. Odds are that we may have already provided a solution to the problem you currently have so try to find issues that are similar with yours on that page and feel free to use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work or if you need further assistance, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
First solution: Force close background apps then soft reset your iPhone XS Max.
While background apps are on standby mode, they’re still running and consuming your iPhone’s power. Thus it’s also recommended to close background apps especially the ones that aren’t useful. Here’s how it works:
- Go to the Home screen, swipe your finger up and then pause.
- Swipe right or left to navigate through the apps preview.
- Swipe up on an app preview to close individual background app. Do the same to force close other background apps on your iPhone XS Max.
After closing out background apps, force restart your iPhone XS Max to dump junk files from the phone memory for smoother and better performance. A force restart is another way to force close background apps and iOS. This is often used when your iPhone gets stuck or frozen. To force restart your iPhone XS Max, simply follow these steps:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Then, press and hold the Power button on the side of the phone for a few seconds and then release when the phone restarts.
Minor software glitches that contribute to rapid power consumption are likewise cleared in the process.
Second solution: Manage your iPhone XS Max display settings.
If your iPhone XS Max battery drains so fast with automatic brightness enabled, disable auto-brightness and adjust screen brightness manually instead. While enabling auto-brightness feature saves you time and effort in making necessary adjustments to your iPhone display based on the ambience, this can also drain the battery.
To turn off Auto-Brightness setting on your iPhone XS Max, follow these steps:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Select General.
- Tap Accessibility.
- Select Display Accommodations.
- Then tap the switch next to Auto-brightness to turn the feature off.
By then you can manually adjust brightness level through the Control Center. Simply swipe down from the upper-right side of your iPhone screen and then drag the screen brightness slider to the left or right.
To reduce screen brightness or dim your iPhone display, drag the slider to the right. To increase or brighten the screen, drag the slider to the right.
Third solution: Update apps and phone software to the latest version available.
Updates may also contain the required fixes if software bugs are the main triggers. That said, update your apps and phone software to the latest version, to get rid of bugs and optimize phone performance. To check for pending app updates on your iPhone XS Max, follow these steps:
- Open the App Store from your Home screen.
- Go to then tap the Updates section at the bottom right. Doing so will show up a list of apps with pending updates.
- To update individual app, tap the Update button next to the name of the app.
- If multiple app updates are available, tap the Update All button to update all apps simultaneously.
Restart your iPhone XS Max when all apps are finished updating. This is recommended to ensure that all new app changes are properly implemented and thereby prevents any other app from acting up.
Aside from installing app updates, updating the phone software to the latest version available is also recommended. New updates to iOS also offer security enhancements or fix patches to address existing problems caused by random bugs and system errors. If the battery draining symptom on your iPhone is attributed to any of these factors, then updating to the latest iOS version will fix it.
- To manually check for new iOS update on your iPhone Xs Max, go to Settings-> General-> Software update menu.
If a new iOS version is available, you will be prompted with a notification containing the update details and system requirements. Before downloading the new update, back up your data to iCloud or iTunes to prevent unexpected data loss in the process. Then follow the onscreen prompts to Download and Install update via over-the-air (OTA).
A stable Wi-Fi Internet connection, ample of memory space and sufficient power (at least 50% battery) on your iPhone are needed.
When your iPhone is finished updating iOS, perform a soft reset to apply the new system changes and to refresh both the phone’s memory and operating system.
Fourth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone XS Max.
Invalid settings configuration can also result to rapid battery draining. If the symptom started only after customizing your iPhone settings, then reverting the prior settings will likely fix the problem. To do so, reset all settings on your iPhone XS Max with these steps:
- Tap on Settings from the Home screen.
- Select General.
- Scroll down to and tap on Reset.
- Select Reset all settings.
- Enter the passcode to continue.
- Tap the option to confirm settings reset.
When the reset is finished, your iPhone should restart automatically. By then you can enable necessary features to use them again on your phone.
Fifth solution: Reset and restore factory default settings on your iPhone XS Max.
A factory reset can be regarded among the last options if your iPhone XS Max battery is still draining rapidly even after exhausting all prior workarounds. The underlying cause could be more complex that it requires more advanced solutions including a full system reset as remedy. Should you wish to continue, back up all your important files from the iPhone storage to iCloud or iTunes. Then follow these steps when you’re all set to start resetting and restoring your iPhone to factory defaults.
- Navigate to Settings-> General-> Reset menu, then select the option to Erase all content and settings. If prompted, enter your device passcode to continue and then confirm factory reset.
You can also reset and restore your iPhone XS Max to its factory default settings through iTunes. With this method, you can back up your files to your computer before performing a master reset.
More battery-saving tips for your iPhone XS Max
- Turn off location services for apps that are not useful. When location services are enabled, your phone is obliged to fetch location information when using certain apps. And this can drain the battery. If you don’t need this information, then just turn off the feature to save power on your iPhone. Managing notification alerts for each app is also recommended.
- Turn off wireless features when not in use. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections are also among the factors that contribute to power draining. Thus disabling these features when not in use can also preserve your battery. If you’re using your iPhone in a place that’s out of your network coverage, you can enable Airplane mode to prevent your device from trying hard to establish network signal and likewise save power.
- Activate Power saving mode. The amount of power used by your iPhone when the battery is low can be reduced by activating Low Power Mode. To do this, go to Settings-> Battery menu then turn the feature on.
For repair options and other recommendations, contact your device carrier or Apple Support. And since this is a new iPhone, availing for service or unit replacement warranty can also be considered among the last options. If your iPhone XS Max is already showing rapid battery draining symptom since day one, then that could be deemed a factory defect and should therefore be replaced. Talk to your carrier for vivid instructions on how to get battery or unit replacement, if needed. Alternatively, you can take a trip to the nearest Apple service center to have your iPhone thoroughly scrutinized by an authorized technician for hardware damage.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XS Max smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XS Max. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.