Need to maximize your iPhone storage? Offloading unused apps can help. This post shows how to offload unused apps on the iPhone 12. Read on if you need help deleting apps from your new iPhone without wiping the apps’ documents and data.
Offload Unused Apps iOS 14
Offload unused apps is an iOS feature that works by removing an app without deleting the app’s data including login credentials.
Offloading apps on an iPhone can be carried out in two ways. That said, you can offload an app using the command from the settings menu or access the iPhone storage then select individual apps to offload. Both of these methods yield the same results.
By offloading apps, you can free up your iPhone storage that’s used by the app while keeping files and data of the offloaded apps.
Reinstalling the app will restore these data for as long as the offloaded app is still available in the App Store.
Depicted in this quick walkthrough is the process of offloading apps on the iPhone 12 via settings.
Easy Steps to Offload Unused Apps on the iPhone 12
The following steps are likewise applicable when offloading unused apps on other iPhones that are running on the same iOS version with the iPhone 12. Actual screens and menu options may vary between device models.
1. To get started, unlock your phone to access the Home screen. While on the Home screen, tap the Settings icon.
Doing so will launch the main settings menu, highlighting all the iOS features and settings you can manage and activate.
2. Scroll down or up to view more items. Then, tap App Store.
The App Store menu will load up on the next display. Here, you will see all app-related features and settings.
3. Scroll down to the bottom part of the screen and then toggle to turn on the switch next to Offload Unused Apps.
Doing so will prompt the device to automatically delete unused apps without deleting the apps’ documents and data.
Other Ways to Offload Unused Apps
The above steps work by enabling automatic offloading of unused apps. You can also offload apps from the iPhone storage menu.
- To do this, go to Settings-> General and then tap iPhone Storage.
While on the iPhone Storage menu, you can tap Enable next to Offload Unused Apps.
Alternatively, you can offload individual apps from the same menu. Simply tap to select the app that you’d like to offload.
While on the App’s menu, tap the command to Offload App. Then, tap Offload App from the pop-up menu to confirm.
The app will then be offloaded and then the Reinstall App command is displayed. That means that the app has been successfully offloaded.
Just repeat the same steps to execute individual offloading of apps on your device.
Reinstall Offloaded Apps on iPhone 12
If you decide to use any of your offloaded apps again, then you can reinstall it right away. Tapping on the offloaded app’s icon on the Home screen will reinstall the app on your device. After you tap on the icon, you should see the status circle and Loading status. Just wait for the status circle on the app’s icon to finish loading.
Another way to reinstall an offloaded app is through the iPhone storage menu.
- To do this, simply go to Settings-> General-> iPhone Storage menu and then tap select the offloaded app. After tapping the app, the Reinstall App command will enable. Just tap on it to start reinstalling the app.
After the app is reinstalled all its data and documents that are still present on the phone will be restored.
Why Offload Unused Apps?
Apps that you don’t use after a period of inactivity can be offloaded. Doing so not only prevents any random app glitches but also helps freeing up the memory space of your phone. More importantly, the app’s data won’t be deleted in the process. That said, consider offloading unused apps if you want to maximize your iPhone storage.
Hope this helps!
More Video Tutorials
To view more comprehensive tutorials and troubleshooting clips on different mobile phones and tablets, feel free to visit The Droid Guy channel on YouTube anytime.
You might also want to read:
- How to manage storage on your Apple iPhone XR and offload unused apps
- How to Offload Apps on Apple iPhone SE 2021 | Delete Apps without Erasing App Data
- How to fix Apple iPhone XS apps that disappeared from Home screen
- How to Disable Automatic App Updates on Apple iPhone 12
- How to delete apps on iPhone XR