Popular apps like Facebook’s instant messaging platform the Messenger app seldom encounter troubles unless network connectivity issues are at fault. The fact that millions of people are using these apps makes it a requisite for the app developers to ensure optimum performance. However, this doesn’t mean that these apps will be forever free from flaws. Like any other mobile applications, robust apps like Messenger may still run into some random errors due to many factors. Among the common symptoms to occur when these apps go rogue would include but not limited to loading errors and random app crashes.
To give you some inputs on how to deal with these issues while using Messenger app on your iPhone XR, I’ve mapped out some effective solutions for you to try on. Feel free to refer to this walkthrough whenever you find the need to troubleshoot Messenger that’s suddenly acting up on your new iPhone.
If you have other problems however, visit our troubleshooting page as we’ve already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. Browse through the page to find issues that are similar with yours and feel free to use the solutions we suggested. If you still need our help, fill up our questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
How to troubleshoot iPhone XR with Messenger app that keeps crashing
Before troubleshooting, check your iPhone’s internet connection and make sure that it’s stable. Internet connectivity issues such as slow connection, Wi-Fi drops, and no Internet access are likely to blame if Messenger and other online apps and services aren’t working as intended. In that case, you need to fix your Internet first so that all online services including Messenger back up and working properly on your phone. If the Internet is fine but Messenger isn’t, then try these subsequent methods to rule out application errors and minor system glitches that might have prevented the app from working on your device.
First solution: Force close Messenger app then restart.
Apps that are experiencing random glitches may eventually crash or stop working. If you’ve previously opened Messenger on your phone, then it’s likely still suspended or running in the background. In this case, you need to force close the app and then restart your iPhone. After the phone reboots, launch Messenger again and see how it works. Here’s how you do it:
- From the Home screen, swipe your finger up and then pause.
- Swipe right or left to navigate through apps preview.
- Find the Messenger card/preview.
- Then swipe up on the Messenger preview to end the application.
If you see any other background apps, clear them all using the same method. After clearing all background apps, restart/soft reset your iPhone with these steps:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons when the Slide to Power Off command appears and then drag the power off slider to the right.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power/Side button again until the phone reboots.
Performing a soft reset or system restart is often needed to clear minor software errors that might have caused Messenger to act up. It also clears temporary files including corrupted data that are stored as cache in the internal memory. Corrupted caches are also among the possible triggers and might have affected Messenger app’s usual operation.
Second solution: Update Messenger app on your iPhone.
It’s recommended to keep apps up-to-date to ensure optimum performance and likewise to clear the app from any sort of bugs and malware. If you haven’t set your third-party apps to auto-update, then you might have missed some important app updates. In this case, you need to manually install pending app updates on your iPhone XR. Here’s how:
- Tap to open the App Store then scroll down to Updates section.
- Navigate through the list of apps with pending updates.
- Tap the Update button next to Messenger. Doing so will install pending update for Messenger.
- If multiple app updates are available, you can just tap the Update All button to install all app updates at once.
Your iPhone must be connected to Wi-Fi internet, has sufficient memory storage space, and ample of battery life to install updates completely.
After installing app updates, reboot/soft reset your iPhone to apply all recent app changes.
Third solution: Re-install Messenger app on your iPhone.
The app might have been totally corrupted and no longer able to function unless it’s reinstalled. But before you reinstall the app, you need to delete it from your iPhone first. So here’s what you should do then:
- From the Home screen, tap and hold on the app icon that you want to delete.
- Wait for the app icons to start jiggling.
- Then tap the X on the top-left edge of the Messenger icon to delete the app.
- Tap Delete when asked to confirm deletion of the app from your iPhone XR.
After deleting the application, follow these steps to re-install Messenger from the App Store:
- Open the App Store again.
- From the main screen, search for and select Messenger app from the App Store search results.
- Tap the Cloud icon or Get button to download and reinstall the app.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to finish installing Messenger on your device.
After installing the application, try to load it and see if it’s already working properly.
Fourth solution: Update iPhone software to the latest version.
The above solutions are usually enough to deal with app glitches and errors. If the problem persists after applying all prior methods, then there’s a higher chance that the problem is attributed to system errors and not isolated to the Messenger app. That said, the next possible solution you can try is to update firmware. New iOS updates usually contain fix patches or codes that are designed to address bug-inflicted errors and glitches including adverse symptoms transpiring on apps. If your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi and sufficiently charged, try to check for, download and install new iOS updates via over-the-air. To check for new iOS updates, follow these steps:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Then tap on General.
- Tap on Software Update.
An update notification will appear if a new iOS version is available. Read the update information then follow the given instructions to download and install new update wirelessly.
Don’t forget to reboot your iPhone after updating to prevent apps from acting up after the recent system transition.
Fifth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone.
You may have to resort to system resets if the problem continues and none of the previous methods fixed the problem with Messenger. To clear out incorrect device settings from the possible causes, try to reset all settings on your iPhone XR with these steps:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Then tap on General.
- Scroll down to and then tap on Reset.
- Select the option to Reset all settings.
- Enter your passcode when asked to proceed.
- Finally, tap the option to confirm all settings reset.
All your customized options will then be deleted and original options and values will be restored. When the reset is finished, your device will restart by itself. Wait until it boots up and then enable individual features that you want to use on your phone. Don’t forget to reconnect to your Wi-Fi Internet to get back online and use online apps and services again as you normally do. Once your iPhone is connected, try loading Messenger and see if the problem is gone.
- How to fix Apple iPhone XR Safari Forbidden error 403, browsing problem [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XR that cannot delete apps [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XR that’s stuck on Apple logo, boot-up error [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix iTunes error 53 on Apple iPhone XR, device fails security check when updating [Troubleshooting Guide]
Seek more help
Contact Facebook Messenger support or visit FB-Messenger help center to report the problem and to ask further assistance or other advanced solutions. Let them know exactly about how your Messenger app ended up crashing or stopped working properly on your iPhone XR. There may be some advanced settings or options that need to be modified to make the app become stable and working as intended.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix the problem with your device. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!