A restart or soft reset is often the key to resolving minor issues with software in mobile devices. When a soft reset fails to fix the problem, it’s when you will resort to performing other types of reset including a hard reset or force restart, and master reset or factory reset. Learn how to carry out each of these reset methods on the new Apple iPhone X device with a step-by-step process highlighted in this post.
how to hard reset iPhone?
Simply follow these 3 steps to fix your iPhone with ReiBoot, No data loss, FREE
- Click to download ReiBoot to your PC or MAC
- Connect your device
- Run ReiBoot to resolve the issue
Work for iPhone 13/12/11/XS/XR/S/8/7/6/5s/5
Before we proceed to the actual steps, please note that Apple has made some slight changes not only with the reset procedure but also to the naming of hardware keys on the new iPhones. The Sleep/Wake button or Power button in prior iPhones is now called the Side button. Thus, we’ll be applying this new term in this content.
How to restart or soft reset your iPhone X?
There are many good things a soft reset or restart can do to your iPhone. Aside from giving your device a fresh start, it can also help eliminate minor glitches affecting an app or iOS functions. For starters, follow these steps to restart or soft reset your iphone x:
- Press and hold the Side button and either the Volume buttons until the slide to power off screen appears.
- Drag the slider to turn your iPhone X completely off.
- After your iPhone turns off, press and hold the Side button again until the Apple logo appears.
Your iPhone then reboots.
Alternative method: Using the iPhone X settings menu
In iOS 11 or later versions, you can now turn off your iOS device through the settings menu. Here’s how:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap the option to Shut Down. Doing so powers off your iPhone X.
- After a few seconds, press the Side button again to turn it back on.
A soft reset will not affect any data stored on your device so there is no need to fear about losing your important contents after the process.
How to force restart your iPhone X (hard reset)?
A hard reset or force restart is another type of restart that is recommended to deal with software malfunctions causing the iPhone to get stuck, frozen, or become unresponsive. In this state, the usual restart procedures could not be done so you’ll have to force your device to restart instead.
Aside from the new name assigned to some controls, Apple also modified that process in carrying out force restart on the new iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X. In fact, double pressing and holding of button combinations will now activate Emergency SOS on the device. This therefore denotes that the reboot had to move to a more complicated button combination.
Here’s how exactly a force restart is done on your iPhone X:
- Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
- Then quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Side button.
Yes, it’s just a three-step pattern but for first timers, getting it done somehow requires a little struggle. Similar to a soft reset, a force restart won’t affect any data stored on your iPhone so it’s definitely safe.
How to factory reset your iPhone X (master reset)?
A factory reset erases all information stored on your iPhone and essentially reverts your device back to the way it was when it first came out of the box. All your contents, customized settings and personal information you saved on your iPhone will be deleted. This is why creating a backup is among the key requisites before performing a factory reset. You can backup and reset your iPhone X to iCloud (via iPhone X settings menu) or to iTunes on a Windows PC or Mac computers. Once the backup has been created, you’re all set to start the wiping process.
Follow these steps to factory reset or master reset your iPhone X through the Settings menu:
- Tap Settings from Home.
- Tap General.
- Tap Reset.
- Select the option to Erase All Content and Settings.
- If prompted, enter your passcode to continue.
- Tap Erase iPhone to confirm action.
It could take several minutes for your iPhone X to complete the factory reset depending on the number of contents to wipe. After the reset, you can setup your iPhone X again using the iOS Setup Assistant/Wizard during startup from which you may opt to restore from a previous iOS or set up your device as new.
How to reset your iPhone X to factory defaults using iTunes?
Another way to reset your iPhone to factory defaults if the prior method (via Settings menu) is not applicable is using iTunes. In this case, you will need to use a computer (Windows or Mac) with the latest version of operating system and iTunes software installed. Once you have everything ready, follow these steps:
- Connect your iPhone X to the computer using the supplied USB or Lightning cable.
- Open iTunes on the computer and wait for it to recognize your iPhone.
- Select your iPhone X from the list of devices in iTunes.
- Click the option to backup your iPhone X to iCloud or to iTunes on this computer, if necessary.
- Then click the Restore button to reset your device.
- If prompted, click Restore again to confirm action.
- Wait until iTunes is finished downloading and installing the new software for your iPhone X then set up your device as new.
A factory reset or master reset is a potential solution to major software issues that could not be rectified by a usual restart or force restart on the device. While you lose your iPhone contents, the chance of getting the problem fixed is higher given that everything including bugs and software glitches will be eradicated in the process.
And that covers everything in this tutorial. If find some troubles in doing any of these methods and need more help in resetting your new iPhone X handset, visit our troubleshooting page for more detailed guides.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.