Resets are part of the regular system management process in mobile devices. They are also used to deal with various software errors inflicting minor and major symptoms among smartphones. System resets are carried out in different ways. There’s a reset to clear and restore specific functions and there’s also a reset to wipe everything from the device.
iPhone System Reset Guide ?
Simply follow these 3 steps to fix your iPhone with ReiBoot, No data loss, FREE
- Click to download ReiBoot to your PC or MAC
- Connect your device
- Run ReiBoot to resolve the issue
Work for iPhone 13/12/11/XS/XR/S/8/7/6/5s/5
The system resets elaborated in this post are specifically applied to the recently released iPhone XS Max handset from Apple, generally for iOS management. If you’re new to the iOS platform, then these are among the first important things you ought to familiarize as you will soon be applying any of them to fix minor and major software problems and get your new iPhone going. Read further for more information.
If you’ve found this post while trying to find a solution to a different problem, then visit our iPhone XS Max troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. We may have already published articles that provide solution to your problem. If not, then feel free to contact us by completing our iPhone issues questionnaire.
How to Soft reset an iPhone XS Max?
A soft reset simply means turning the phone off for a few seconds and then on again. In short, it’s a device restart or reboot. The importance of a soft reset is often realized when dealing with random software issues from rogue apps or minor data corruption on the phone. It also helps dump cache and temporary files from the phone’s internal memory for faster and smoother performance. And here’s how a soft reset is done on your iPhone XS Max:
- Press and hold both the Power button and the Volume Up button for a few seconds.
- Release both the buttons when the Slide to Power Off icon appears. Doing so will turn off the phone.
- After about 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button on the side of your phone until it restarts.
- When asked, enter your device PIN or passcode then tap OK to access the Home screen and start using your phone again.
How to Force restart an iPhone XS Max?
An alternative method to a soft reset is a force restart. As the name implies, it works by forcing the phone to shut down and then restart. This is usually needed when your phone suddenly gets stuck or becomes unresponsive. It works the same as a soft reset does when it comes to clearing errant files and memory cache but carried out in a different way. Here’s how it’s done:
- Quick press then release the Volume Up button.
- Quick press then release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Power button on the side of the phone and then release it when the Apple logo appears.
Both soft reset and force restart don’t affect internal data.
How to Reset all settings on iPhone XS Max?
This reset is used to wipe customized settings from the phone and then reverts the original or default values and options. It’s often needed when dealing with phone issues attributed to complex settings error that could not be dealt with be reverting individual options. Unlike a factory reset, resetting all settings on the phone does not result to data loss as it won’t affect any saved information on the phone memory. Here’s how to reset all settings on the new iPhone XS Max:
- Tap to open the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and then tap Reset.
- Select Reset all settings from the menu options.
- If prompted, enter the correct passcode for your iPhone.
- Then tap the option to confirm settings reset.
After the reset, your iPhone should automatically reboot and then loads the original or default system options and values. This means the need for you to re-enable features you want to use on your phone.
How to Reset network settings on iPhone XS Max?
Performing a network settings reset is usually needed when dealing with network-related issues on the phone. As the name implies, it works by wiping current network configurations and network settings on the phone and then restores the default network values. APN and VPN settings are likewise restored to their default configurations. This reset effectively resolves Internet connection problems from slow browsing to intermittent or no Internet connection at all. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Next, tap General.
- Scroll down to and then tap on Reset.
- Tap Reset network settings style=”font-weight: 400;”>.
- Enter the passcode for your iPhone to continue.
- Then tap the option to confirm network settings reset.
Allow your iPhone to finish resetting network settings. When the reset is finished, the phone will restart by itself. Wait until reboots completely and then you can start setting up Internet connection to go back online.
How to Factory reset an iPhone XS Max?
A factory reset, otherwise known as master reset is a used to wipe everything from the phone and then restores factory defaults. Compared to the prior reset methods, a factory reset apparently deletes personal information and other saved data on the phone memory. That said, backing up of files is recommended beforehand. This reset is often needed when dealing with major software issues from tough bugs, malware and fatal system errors. Like other iOS devices, a factory reset on the iPhone XS Max can be carried out through settings or using iTunes. The following steps depict a factory reset through your iPhone XS Max settings menu:
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Then tap General.
- Scroll down to then tap on Reset.
- Select the option to Erase all content and settings.
- Enter the correct passcode for your device.
- Then tap the option to confirm factory reset.
The device will then instigate wiping all system data and then the system reboots when the reset is finished.
Performing a factory reset through iTunes is usually needed when the device is stuck or the screen is unresponsive. In that case, the settings menu cannot be accessed. To get started with a factory reset in iTunes, you will need to secure a Windows or Mac computer that runs on a later operating system and has the latest version of iTunes software installed. Once you have the equipment ready, follow these steps to carry out a full system reset:
- Connect your iPhone XS Max to your computer’s USB port using the supplied USB cable or Lightning cable.
- Then open iTunes app on your computer.
- Wait for your iPhone XS Max to be recognized in iTunes, and then click on the iPhone icon on the left side of iTunes menu.
- Click the Restore button. You can choose to Back Up style=”font-weight: 400;”> your important files from the iPhone to your computer drive.
- If prompted with iTunes to Restore the iPhone and wipe all data and settings from the device, click the Restore button to confirm.
- Then wait for iTunes to erase then download and restore the software for your iPhone. To start fresh and load factory settings, choose the option to Set Up as a New iPhone then follow the initial setup wizard to complete the process.
Wait for the reset process to finish before you disconnect your iPhone XS Max from the computer. Doing so will prevent corruption of data from incomplete system reset. When the reset is finished, iTunes will prompt you to either restore your iPhone XS Max from a backup, or set it up as a new.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XS Max smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XS Max. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.