Updating and deleting apps is often needed when dealing with app-related errors in smartphones like when an app is suddenly acting up or not working as intended. Deleting apps also help free up space of the phone’s internal memory. In iOS devices like iPhones, apps can be deleted or uninstalled in different ways.
You can delete apps through the phone settings, from the Home screen, or using iTunes on a computer. If you’re new to iOS with the iPhone XR as your first iOS devices and that you need some help in deleting unwanted apps, then you can refer to any of the steps elaborated below. Read on to learn how to delete apps on the Apple iPhone XR handset.
If you have other problems however, visit our troubleshooting page as we’ve already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. Browse through the page to find issues that are similar with yours and feel free to use the solutions we suggested. If you still need our help, fill up our questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
Steps to delete apps via iPhone XR settings
Most, if not all system management operations on the iPhone are carried out through the settings menu. The same thing goes with app deletion. Below are the steps to delete apps from your iPhone XR settings:
- Tap to open the Settings app from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Tap iPhone Storage.
- Select the app you want to delete.
- Tap the option to Offload App or Delete App.
The Offload App option means that the selected app will be deleted but the data and files for that app will be retained. This allows you to restore your data when you reinstall the app on your phone.
The Delete App option means that the selected app and its related data will be completely deleted permanently.
Steps to delete third-party apps on iPhone XR
Downloaded apps or third-party apps that are no longer used can easily be uninstalled or deleted from your iPhone XR home screen. Here’s how it works:
- Lightly touch and hold the app icon from the Home screen until it jiggles. Please note that if you press too firmly on an app, you might open the app’s Quick Actions menu. In that case, simply tap outside of the Quick Actions list and then lightly touch and hold the app icon to exit and then retry
- Tap the X in the upper-left corner of the app you want to delete/uninstall.
- If prompted, tap Delete to confirm.
- When you’re done deleting apps, tap Done.
Steps to delete pre-installed or built-in apps on iPhone XR
The latest iOS platforms already let users to delete some built-in or pre-installed apps on the iPhone. And that system is already applied on Apple’s new iPhone XR handset. The process is closely similar to that of the prior method. Here’s how:
- From the Home screen, touch and hold the app icon lightly until it jiggles.
- Tap on the app you want to delete or uninstall.
- Then tap DELETE when asked to confirm.
- When you’re done deleting apps, press the Home button to stop the apps from jiggling.
Steps to delete apps on iPhone XR using iTunes on a computer
If your iPhone is stuck or unresponsive due to app problems, deleting the app using the above methods won’t be possible. In this case, you will need to use iTunes so you can access your iPhone from the computer and then uninstall or delete rogue any problematic app that’s inflicting trouble. To get this done, you will need to secure a computer that runs on a compatible operating system with your iPhone XR and has the latest version of iTunes software installed. Once you’ve got all things set, you can move on and start deleting apps on your iPhone XR through iTunes with these steps:
- Plug your iPhone XR into your computer via USB or Lightning cable.
- When connected, open iTunes on your computer.
- Select your iPhone XR when it appears in iTunes.
- Click on Apps under the Settings section located on the left side of iTunes screen. You will then see a list of apps on the right side of iTunes screen, with Home screens next to it.
- Double-click on a Home screen from where you can select the app you want to delete.
- Then click on the app to delete. A delete sign (X) will appear on the upper left corner of the app icon.
- Tap on the delete or X sign to confirm deletion of the app. The app will be deleted quickly.
- When you’re done deleting apps, click on the Apply button from the bottom of the iTunes screen.
Once you’re done deleting apps from your iPhone XR using any of the aforementioned methods, reboot your iPhone to clear cache from its internal memory and likewise to refresh the operating system.
Need to restore accidentally deleted apps on your iPhone XR?
In case you change your mind and would want to use a recently uninstalled/deleted app on your iPhone XR, you can restore that app with these steps:
- Tap the App Store icon from your Home screen. Doing so will launch the App Store application.
- From the App Store main screen, search for the name of the app you want to restore. Just type in the name of the app. Also make sure that you entered the same exact name of the app.
- Find and select the correct name of the built-in app to restore.
- Then tap the Cloud icon or Get button to restore the app.
After a few moments, you should see the app icon showing on the Home screen. That denotes that the app is already installed and ready for use again.
If you will end up having trouble deleting apps from your iPhone XR like when the app won’t be removed or uninstalled, reboot your iPhone the reattempt to delete the application. For other applicable solutions to app-related issues, you can visit this site’s troubleshooting page to view a list of troubleshooting guides for iPhone XR including app update or app deletion error.
- What to do if your new Apple iPhone XR won’t charge, charging very slowly or intermittently [Troubleshooting Guide and Charging Tips]
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XR that won’t connect to App Store
- How to fix email setup errors on Apple iPhone XR, cannot set up/add email account to Mail app [Troubleshooting Guide]
- What to do if iPhone XR screen is slow or unresponsive
I hope that this how-to post has helped you one way or another. Please help us spread the word by sharing this post to your friends or people who may also have similar problems. Thanks for reading!