After getting an official preview of Apple’s newest flagship iPhone device, you’re planning to make a switch, let go of Android and give the latest iOS interface a try but then you are wondering how to keep your Android contents. If so, then this post might be able to help you. Highlighted in this contents are ways on how to move contents from Android device to your new iPhone 8 smartphone. You may consider these options whenever you have finally decided to make a switch to iOS. Keep reading to learn more.
Requirements before making a switch from Android to iOS
Perceiving the possibility about Android users making a switch to iOS at some point, a dedicated application has been developed and offered to assist in moving contents such as photos, messages, and multimedia files from an Android device to an iOS device. The official app is called Move to iOS. You can download the app from Google Play Store, should you wish to switch to iOS without having to worry of losing important contents from your Android device.
Before you begin with the file transfer though, make sure that Wi-Fi is enabled on your Android device and that it is connected to the Internet. After ensuring that your device is connected to an active Wi-Fi network, plug your new iPhone 8 and Android device into a power source to let them charge. The file transfer duration may take longer depending on the size of the Android contents you want to transfer. Connecting both devices to a power source will ensure that the process won’t be interrupted by insufficient charge or no power on either device.
Once you have downloaded and installed the Move to iOS app on your Android device, you may proceed with the iPhone 8 setup. Follow these steps to get started:
- Turn on your new iPhone.
- Swipe on Slide to Set Up.
- Follow the onscreen instructions on the iOS setup wizard including language selection, Wi-Fi setup, etc.
- When you get to the Apps & Data screen, tap the option to Move Data from Android. If you already have finished setting up your new iPhone, you need to erase it and start over. Otherwise, you can transfer your contents manually from your Android device to your new iPhone 8.
- Open the Move to iOS app on your Android device and then tap Continue.
- Read the terms and conditions when prompted. Tap Agree to proceed, then tap Next in the upper-right corner of the Find Your Code screen.
- On your iPhone 8, tap Continue on the Move from Android screen and then wait for a six-digit or ten-digit code to appear.
- Enter the given code on your Android device and then wait for the Transfer Data screen to show up.
- Select the contents you want to transfer from your Android device and tap Next. Give both devices enough time to complete the file transfer process. When you see the loading bar on your iPhone 8 finishes, it means that the file transfer is complete.
- When you see the loading bar finishes on your iPhone 8, tap Done on your Android device then tap Continue on your iPhone.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to finish the setup process for your iPhone 8.
Among the files that get transferred in the process are contacts, message history, camera photos and videos, web bookmarks, mail accounts, and calendars. Some of your free apps will also be transferred if they are available on both Google Play and the App Store. Once the transfer completes, you can download free apps that were matched from the App Store.
How to manually transfer contents from your Android device to your new iPhone 8
If some of the contents are not transferred in the process, you can move these contents manually instead. You may refer to the following steps if ever you need more help in doing so.
Manually transfer contents from the Mail, contacts, and calendars app
Add each of your email accounts to your new iPhone 8 to begin with. Typically, iOS works with email providers including Google, Yahoo, and Exchange thus it is very possible for you to keep the email, contacts, and calendars you have and be able to use them on your new iPhone. To get started, navigate to your iPhone Settings-> Mail. When you’re in the Mail app screen, tap the account and turn on Mail, Contacts, and Calendars. Be sure to enable the Mail, Contacts, and Calendars app for each of your email account. For your social media accounts, you can move any contacts and calendars that are stored in those accounts using these steps:
- Open the App Store app on your iPhone.
- Download and install your social media apps, if necessary.
- Tap Settings on your Home screen.
- Tap the preferred social media app.
- Sign in with your account credentials.
- Turn on Calendars and Contacts in your app settings. Doing so will sync your app contents with your iOS device.
Manually transfer photos and videos from your Android device to your iPhone 8
You will need to use a Windows or Mac computer with the latest version of iTunes, in order to move photos and videos manually from your Android to your new iPhone. Here’s how it’s done:
- Connect your Android device to the computer and locate your photos and videos to transfer. Usually, these files are stored in DCIM-> Camera folder on most devices. If you are using a Mac, you will need to install Android File Transfer, open the app, and then go to DCIM-> Camera folder. Your photos and videos should be stored in that folder.
- Select the photos and videos that you want to transfer and then drag them to a designated folder on your computer.
- Disconnect your Android device from the computer.
- Connect your iPhone 8 to the computer.
- Open iTunes on the computer and then start syncing your Photos to your iPhone. You can find your photos and videos on your iPhone in Photos-> Albums folder.
Manually transfer music/audio files from your Android device to your iPhone 8
Just like moving photos and videos, you will also need a computer to manually transfer music and audio files to your new iPhone using iTunes. Here’s how you move music and audio contents from your Android to iOS device:
- Connect your Android device to the computer and find your music or audio files. Usually, you can find these files in the Music folder. If you are using a Mac computer, you will need to install the Android File Transfer app, open the app and then go to Music.
- Select the audio files or songs you want to transfer and drag them to a designated folder on your computer.
- Disconnect your Android device from the computer.
- Connect your iPhone 8 to the computer using the supplied USB cable.
- Open iTunes on your computer.
- Navigate to iTunes Library and then click Music.
- Open the folder where your songs are stored and drag them to the Music view in iTunes.
- Select your iPhone 8 from the list of iOS device in iTunes and click Music. You can choose to sync your entire library or select only the songs or artists you recently added.
- Click Sync to begin syncing of the selected files.
Once the syncing is finished, your music or audio files will be available in the Music app on your iPhone.
If you use a streaming music application, go to the App Store, download the app, then sign in with your account credentials. If you use Apple Music app, all you need to do is sign in to Apple Music on your new iPhone.
Manually transfer Books and PDFs from Android device to your iPhone 8
Books and PDFs from your Android device can be imported to your new iPhone. They are also accessible through apps like Kindle, Google Play Books, Nook, and the like. To access books from through app, go to the App Store, download and install the app, and then sign in with your account credentials. Otherwise, you can use iTunes to move these files manually from your Android device to your new iPhone. All you need to secure is a computer that runs the latest version of iTunes app. You can use either Windows PC or Mac (later or latest OS). When you’re all set, follow these steps:
- Connect your Android device to a computer and find your books and PDFs. These files are usually stored in Documents folder on most devices. If you’re using a Mac computer in this process, install Android File Transfer app, open it and then go to Documents. The files should be in there.
- Select the books and PDFs you want to move and then drag them to a designated folder on your computer.
- Disconnect your Android device from the computer once you’re done selecting contents.
- Connect your iPhone 8 to the computer.
- Drag the books and PDFs into your library. On a Mac computer, navigate to iBooks-> List, and then drag your books there. On a Windows PC, navigate to iTunes-> Books.
- Launch or open the iTunes app on your computer and start syncing your ePub books and PDFs.
Once it’s done syncing, you can locate these files on your iPhone in Books-> All Books folder.
Manually transfer documents from your Android device to iPhone 8
Many iOS apps can work with various file types like Microsoft Office documents. This means that you can include your document files in the transfer. Among the iOS files that can work with MS Office documents are Pages, Numbers, and Keynote to name a few. Follow these steps to manually transfer documents from your Android device to your new iPhone:
- Go to the App Store on your iPhone 8.
- Download and install Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.
- Connect your Android device to a computer (Windows or Mac)
- Documents are usually stored in Documents folder on most devices. If you are using a Mac computer, install Android File Transfer app, open it, and then go to Documents.
- Select the documents you want to transfer and then drag them to a designated folder on your computer.
You can use iCloud Drive to keep your documents up to date on all your devices. You can set up iCloud Drive on any device you want to access your files including a Windows PC, Mac computer, and iOS devices like your iPhone.
What to do when having trouble moving contents from Android device to your iPhone 8?
If you encounter any issue when moving contents from your Android device to your new iPhone 8, check and ensure that the file transfer is complete on both your Android and iOS device. Also try to turn off apps or settings that might affect your Wi-Fi connection. Restarting both devices can also rectify any minor glitches that prevent the file transfer to complete. If you cellular data connection is enabled on your Android device, try to turn it off and then try the files transfer again.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.