One of the best VPN services out there is ExpressVPN. It’s fast and secure and you don’t have to worry about your IP address when you’re using it. It also has a very clean and straightforward interface across all platforms. But recently after the iOS 13.2 update, some iPhone owners have complained that they are stuck on ‘Disconnecting’ while using ExpressVPN. Apparently, the VPN service no longer works and the IP address of their devices aren’t changed.
At A Glance: Our Favorite VPN Services
It is such an annoying problem but it’s not really that hard to fix. In fact, you only need one or a couple of procedures to get the problem fixed, and that’s the purpose of this post. I will walk you through in troubleshooting your iPhone that not connecting via ExpressVPN anymore.
What to do if the iPhone is stuck on ‘Disconnecting’ with ExpressVPN
When it comes to app-related issues, you don’t have to worry about so much, especially if the app in question is a third-party application. In this case, the problem can be with the app. Here’s what you need to do about it:
First solution: Close ExpressVPN and force restart your iPhone
It is possible that this issue is just pretty minor and you may not need to perform some complicated procedures to get ExpressVPN working again. So, here’s what you need to do first…
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen and stop at the middle. This will show you the app previews.
- Now, swipe up on the ExpressVPN preview to close it. Do the same to other apps.
- To force restart your iPhone, quickly press and release the Volume up button, and then do the same for the Volume down button. The moment you release the volume down button, press and hold the Power key for 15 seconds or until the Apple logo shows.
- Now wait for your iPhone to finish restarting.
Once your iPhone is up and running, try to see if it’s still stuck on ‘Disconnecting’ when using ExpressVPN.
Second solution: Change VPN protocol
This might be a temporary issue with the service so try changing the VPN protocol and see if that fixes the problem. Here’s how:
- Open the Options Menu (≡) in the top left corner of your screen
- Tap VPN Settings and then VPN Protocol
- Change the protocol to IPsec or IKEv2
- Change the protocol back to Automatic or any other protocol
- Return to the main screen and connect to a server location
If this doesn’t help, then move on to the next solution.
Third solution: Uninstall ExpressVPN and reinstall it
It might be a compatibility issue since the problem started after an update. So what you need to do is uninstall ExpressVPN to remove all its associations with other apps and the firmware. After which, reinstall the app to make sure you’re using the latest version. Here’s how you do that:
- Go to the screen where the ExpressVPN icon is located.
- tap and hold on its icon until options show.
- Tap Delete App.
- Tap Delete to confirm the deletion of the app.
- Once the app is successfully uninstalled, launch the App store.
- Search for ExpressVPN, and then tap the Install icon.
- Wait for the app to be successfully installed on your iPhone.
- When the installation is finished, tap Open to launch it.
Most of the time, these are the only things you need to do to fix an app that keeps on crashing. However, if for some reason the problem continues, then you have to do the next solution.
Third solution: Factory reset your iPhone
A reset will be able to fix this problem but make sure to create a backup of your important files and data because they will be deleted and you may not be able to retrieve them. When ready, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Find and tap General.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen, and then touch Reset.
- Tap Erase All Contents and Settings.
- Tap Erase Now.
- If prompted, enter your security lock.
- Tap Erase iPhone at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Erase iPhone again to proceed.
- Now enter your Apple ID password, and then tap Erase to proceed with the reset.
- Wait until your iPhone has finished the reset, and then set it up as a new device.
I hope that this troubleshooting guide has been able to help you. If you want to hide your IP address or watch movies and TV shows from abroad on Netflix, use ExpressVPN to unblock the contents.
Having Issues with your iPhone or iPad? Feel free to contact us using this form. We’ll try to help.
At A Glance: Our Favorite VPN Services