This post highlights some effective solutions to a problem with the iPhone 8 Messenger app that keeps crashing. Keep reading and get help.
Many people particularly Facebook users are using Messenger for their online conversations. This messaging tool can be accessed either through the Facebook website or through the stand-alone Messenger application. Just like Facebook app, the Messenger app is also maintained regularly in order to keep it working efficiently and flawlessly. Even so, there are still some instances when the app just couldn’t get to work properly on your device. That is usually when the app is experiencing downtimes or system errors. Among the widespread issues associated with the Messenger app on the new iPhone 8 handset would include but not limited to app crashes, server errors, freezes, and lags. Generally, these symptoms are software-related and are therefore, rectifiable. If ever you need more inputs on how to troubleshoot these problems with your iPhone 8 Messenger app, I have compiled some helpful workarounds and walkthroughs for you to refer to below.
But before anything else, if you have other concerns with your iPhone 8, make sure you drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most commonly reported issues with this new iPhone. If you need further assistance or if you can’t find what you’re looking for in that page, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit. Don’t worry, it’s a free consultation service so you don’t have to worry about anything. Just give us more information about the problem and we’ll do our best to help you fix it.
Troubleshooting Messenger that keeps crashing, not working properly on your iPhone 8
The following procedures are potential solutions to software-related or in-app errors on the iPhone 8 Messenger application. Don’t forget to test the app after performing each method to determine whether or not the problem is fixed.
First solution: Restart the app.
Restarting the app can help things go back to normal especially if minor app glitches are the main culprit. It helps clearing the app from random flaws and likewise refreshes the app’s memory. Here’s what you should do then:
- Swipe up from the bottom to the middle of your screen and hold until the App Switcher opens.
- Swipe left or right to locate and quit Messenger app.
- Firmly touch and hold the app, then tap the Minus (-) icon.
- Alternatively, you can swipe up to close the app as soon as the Minus icon appears.
- Do the same to the rest of your background apps to close them all.
Second solution: Reboot your iPhone.
If the previous method failed to fix the problem and your Messenger app is still not working as expected, then you can proceed to a system restart or soft reset on your iPhone 8. There might be some software bugs and glitches that triggered the Messenger app to malfunction or become unstable. And this is when a device reboot is needed. For starters, follow these steps to perform a soft reset or reboot your iPhone 8:
- Press the Side/Power button for a few seconds until the Slide to Power Off prompt appears.
- Drag the slider to turn your iPhone off completely.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Side/Power button again until you see the Apple logo.
This does not affect your data or personal information stored on the internal memory of your device so nothing will be deleted in the process. In the case where the phone becomes unresponsive as the Messenger app gets stuck or frozen, a force restart would be necessary. It works the same as the soft reset but done through the hardware keys. Here’s how:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side/Power button until you see the Apple logo.
This won’t affect any of your iPhone data as well so no need to create backups.
Third solution: Install pending updates to fix Messenger app that keeps crashing.
Updates are pushed periodically as part of apps maintenance. Unless you have enabled auto-update option on your device, manual app update installation would be necessary. Usually you will be notified if an app update is available but there are also times when you won’t get any notification. This means the need for you to manually check for available apps updates. Here’s how:
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen.
- From the App Store main screen, locate and tap the Updates icon at the bottom right.
- Then tap the Update button next to Messenger.
- If you see multiple app updates, you can tap Update All to install all updates at once.
Aside from updating apps, installing the latest iOS update on your iPhone may also be able to help especially if the problem is attributed to some system bugs and glitches. New updates typically integrate fix patches for security enhancements.
- To check for available iOS update, go to Settings-> General-> Software update.
Software updates also integrates security enhancements or fix patches to clear any existing bugs that might have caused problems to occur on certain devices. While post-update issues are possible, it is but still recommended to keep your device software up-to-date so as to keep the system optimized.
Fourth solution: Reset all settings and on your iPhone.
Apps can also become erratic or unstable when pertinent settings are incorrectly configured or invalid options are set or assigned. If the problem started after modifying certain settings on your iPhone, then you can try reverting the changes you’ve made back to their previous configuration. However it may not be that easy for you to determine which settings or options to work on especially if the problem instigated after installing new updates. As possible solution, you can reset all settings on your iPhone instead. This does not affect any of your critical data so you won’t lose anything from doing so. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset all settings. This will reset all your current including network configurations and restore the default values. If prompted, enter your device passcode.
- Then tap the option to confirm network settings reset.
Wait until the reset is complete and your iPhone reboots. You may need to reconnect to your Wi-Fi network or Bluetooth devices afterwards.
Fifth solution: Delete or uninstall the app from your iPhone.
Uninstalling the app can be regarded as the ultimate solution if none of the previous workarounds is able to fix the problem. This is often needed especially if corrupted cache files are to blame. Just follow these steps:
- Tap and hold on the Messenger app icon or any icon from the Home screen for a few seconds.
- When the icons begin to jiggle, tap the X on the corner of the Messenger app icon. Doing so will delete or uninstall the app from your device.
- Tap Delete to confirm action.
- To stop the icons from wiggling, tap on an empty spot from the Home screen.
- Then restart your phone.
- Wait until your iPhone has booted up completely then open the App Store and search for the latest version of Messenger app to download and install on your device.
Seek more help
You may reach out to the Facebook Help Center to report the issue and request further assistance or other options to fix the problem. There might be a complex terminal error or virus affecting the application and that usually requires more advanced solutions. Or if possible, you can just use other online messaging apps as temporary solution instead.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 7 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 7. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to read:
- How to fix an iPhone 8 that is overheating after installing new software update? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- What to do when your Apple iPhone 8 is not recognized by a Windows computer or iTunes? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix iPhone 8 Facebook app that keeps lagging, freezing, or crashing after updating iOS (easy steps)
- Why does my iPhone 8 won’t connect to Wi-Fi, cannot access Wi-Fi internet, and how to fix it (easy steps)
- How to fix iPhone 8 that is showing no service, searching, or no signal error? [Troubleshooting Guide]