Just recently, many people are raising concerns regarding an issue with the Siri app particularly about Hey Siri function that stops working after installing the latest update to iOS 11. The problem has by far transpired in a number of iOS devices including the new iPhone 8 variants.
Could this be just another bug that needs an official fix patch from Apple or could it be due to something else? If you are among those who are plagued with this same issue or just found out that Hey Siri is likewise not working on your iPhone 8 handset, then this post is for you. Read on and learn what triggers the error and get help in troubleshooting your iPhone, if necessary.
Before we move any further, if you are looking for a solution to a different problem, them drop by our iPhone 8 troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most common problems with this device. Odds are that there are already existing solutions to your problem. Try to find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work or if you need more help, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and we’ll help you with you problem.
What causes Hey Siri to stop working on your iPhone 8?
Hey Siri is a feature of the Siri app that allows you to speak to Siri without pressing the Home button. All you have to do is say “Hey Siri” when your device connected to power and then the Siri app will launch and work as intended. But when the latest iOS update came out, that’s when things started to go wrong. After implementing the update, many people faced trouble when attempting to use Hey Siri or Siri app itself as the feature suddenly stopped working properly. Apparently in this case, we can say that the update is to blame since the problem occurred after installing it. But for those who still haven’t updated iOS on the iPhone 8 but are already facing issues with Siri, it might be a different story. To help you find out why Siri or Hey Siri is not working properly on your iPhone 8, I have mapped out every possible causes and triggers. You may opt to begin working on these factors if you don’t know exactly what to do or where to start when troubleshooting the problem.
Among the most common reasons as to why Siri doesn’t work (aside from a faulty update to iOS) are as follow:
- Low Power Mode – Make sure Low Power Mode is disabled. The main Siri app and Hey Siri function will not work if low power mode is turned. If necessary, turn off Low Power Mode or charge your iPhone until it has sufficient battery charge then try using Siri and test Hey Siri function by then. To do so, head over to Settings-> Battery-> Low Power Mode then tap the switch to turn it off.
- No Internet connection – If Siri will respond something like “Sorry, I’m having trouble connecting to the network” or “Try again in a little while” then it’s probably a network problem. This means you need to deal with and fix your network first so as to get Siri back to work as intended.
- Software glitches – Random app glitches can occur at any time, thereby causing an app to suddenly malfunction or become erratic. If you have confirmed that your iPhone is not in Low Power Mode and that the Internet is working fine, then the problem is more likely triggered by some random software glitches which are usually rectified by a soft reset or reboot on the app or iPhone itself.
- Incorrect settings – If Siri started to become erratic after making some changes to your iPhone 8 settings, then some of the changes you’ve made might have caused conflict and thus resulted to this problem. You might have disabled certain options which are supposed to be enabled or vice versa. As resolution, you can revert the settings back to their prior configurations then try to see if that makes things good again with Hey Siri or Siri.
- Faulty microphone – Dirt is also considered among the factors that can cause Siri to become not precise or not working at all. Clear diction and pronunciation are necessary for Siri to respond properly to your voice commands. If something is blocking the microphone, then Siri may not be able to understand you clearly. Thus, care to check and test your iPhone 8 microphone too. Aside from dirt, the microphone can likewise acquire damage from accidental drops and liquid exposure. If Siri or Hey Siri started to have issues after any of these incidents, then that could denote a possible damage to the hardware, particularly on the microphone. Unfortunately in this case, your chance of obtaining ultimate fix is too low unless you’ll have your iPhone repaired by a technician. To rule this out from the probable causes, check the microphone by recording an audio or voice memo. if necessary, If the microphone works, try to clean it. You can clean the microphone hole with a soft toothbrush or blow it with compressed air. Also try to remove any iPhone case then retry using Hey Siri again. Some cases tend to block the microphone, thus Siri won’t be able to clearly understand your voice. You can also use a headset then try using Siri with your headset. If Hey Siri works fine when using a headset, then it’s probably the microphone that is to blame.
If you are certain that the problem you have with Hey Siri is not due to a hardware damage, then you may proceed to troubleshoot your iPhone 8 software and see how Siri works after doing some workarounds.
Recommended workarounds and generic solutions
The following solutions are also applicable to deal with relevant issues affecting Siri app on your iPhone 8 like if Siri is not available, or doesn’t understand to questions and voice commands, or just doesn’t work as intended. Don’t forget to test the app after performing each method to see if Siri is working properly again. If not, then consider other options.
Note: When talking to Siri, be sure to speak clearly and utter precise voice commands for Siri to easily comprehend and process your voice input commands.
Restart your iPhone (soft reset)
A restart or soft reset often fixes minor problems occurring and causing conflicts to an app. To make sure this isn’t what’s going on in your case, try to quit Siri then restart your iPhone 8 the usual way. If Siri fails to work and causes the display to freeze, then it’s possible that the app has crashed and therefore needs to be restarted. In this case, a forced restart would be necessary.
- To force your iPhone 8 to restart, press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold down the Side button or Power button until you see the Apple logo.
Wait until your device boots up completely then try to use Hey Siri again.
Check your iPhone 8 settings
First, verify and ensure Siri and Hey Siri are enabled on your iPhone 8. They must be turned on in order to work and be used on your device.
- To do so, head over to your iPhone Settings-> General-> Siri-> then tap to enable the Siri switch and Allow Hey Siri switch below it.
Also turn try to turn Dictation off and on.
- To do so, navigate to Settings-> General-> Keyboards-> then tap the Enable Dictation switch to turn the feature off. Tap OK to confirm. Restart your iPhone then go back to Settings-> General-> Keyboards-> then tap the Enable Dictation switch to turn it back on.
Aside from these options, you can also try to toggle the Wi-Fi switch off and on to refresh the Internet connection on your iPhone.
Once you’re done making necessary changes to these options and functions, try and test to see if Siri or Hey Siri is now working as intended.
Reset network settings on your iPhone 8
Again please note that internet connection via Wi-Fi or cellular data is necessary for Siri to work on your device. If you found out that the problem is associated with network connectivity issues, then resetting the network settings on your iPhone will likely be able to fix it.
Resetting network settings will reset all your iPhone’s data connections back to the default or original settings and configurations. So all saved Wi-Fi networks, and other settings will be deleted and network options are restored to defaults. Before you proceed, make sure you take note of all your Wi-Fi networks and passwords as you will need to set them up afterwards. Then follow these steps to proceed with the network settings reset:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Tap Reset.
- Tap Reset Network Settings.
- If prompted, enter the device passcode.
- Confirm selection.
Your iPhone will then reboot once the reset is finished. You then can test Hey Siri afterwards.
Factory Reset your iPhone 8
If all else failed to fix the problem and Hey Siri is still not working on your iPhone 8, then you may continue to troubleshoot the software with a factory reset. It is possible that the problem is caused by more complex software errors that could not be rectified by any of the prior methods. Your next option therefore is a complete wipe out to give your iPhone a clean fresh start. But before you do so, be sure to create a backup of your iPhone data for safekeeping. And when everything is set, follow these steps to reset your iPhone 8 to factory defaults.
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Tap Reset.
- Select the option to Erase all content and settings.
- If prompted, tap the option to confirm factory reset.
After the reset, reboot your iPhone, continue with the initial setup then try to use Hey Siri afterwards.
If Siri is still not working, try to connect your iPhone 8 on a computer then restore or update iOS through iTunes.
Other options to consider if nothing works
- iOS recovery tools. There are a lot of iOS recovery tools for you to try on when needed. These tools can be downloaded online so all you have to do is pick the best and compatible software for your computer and your iPhone 8, then go ahead and give it a shot.
- Contact Apple Support/carrier. Escalate the issue for further assistance and recommendations. If you feel the need to talk to your carrier or Apple Support on this matter, then do so and give them a call. They’ll be able to offer you some other options and recommendations for sure.
- Tech service. Take your iPhone to a service center for hardware assessment. If you suspect that the iPhone microphone is damaged from accidental dropping or liquid exposure, your iPhone 8 requires service. Have it diagnosed by a technician and repair if needed.
- How to fix crackling noise during calls, call failed error, other calling issues on the Apple iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Why is my Apple iPhone 8 unable to access Wi-Fi Internet and how to fix it? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- What to do when your Apple iPhone 8 does not turn on? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- What to do when your Apple iPhone 8 won’t charge? [Troubleshooting Guide]
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.