Battery draining problems can be attributed to software errors or hardware damage like bad battery. However, most cases of battery draining issues among iOS devices are software-related. Among the usual triggers are rogue apps, bad updates, misconfigured settings and sometimes, bugs and malware. Many iPhone owners encounter battery draining problems after updating iOS or installing new apps on their respective devices. And even the new iPhones can give into this same symptom.
Tackled in this post is a relevant issue occurring on the new iPhone XR handset. To give you some inputs on how to deal with this problem, I’ve outlined some of the most recommended procedures and tweaks to rule out software errors that might have triggered your iPhone XR battery to drain so quickly. Feel free to refer to this context whenever you need more inputs on how to resolve this issue.
For those who are looking for a solution to a different problem, drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this phone. Browse through the page to find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work for you or if you still need our help, contact us anytime through our iPhone issues questionnaire.
First solution: Quit/force close running apps then force restart your iPhone XR.
Keeping apps running in the background is beneficial for multitasking purposes like faster reloading of same apps. However, keeping more apps running in the background for long can also cause your trouble especially when any of these apps crashes and goes rogue. When this happens, there is a tendency for certain functions or apps to become adversely affected. So here’s what you should try doing first:
- From the Home screen, swipe your finger up and then pause.
- Swipe right or left to navigate through apps preview.
- Then swipe up on an app preview to end/force close it. Do the same to the rest of the app previews you see on the screen.
Or you can just carry out a force restart on your iPhone XR with these steps:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears.
A force restart works the same as a soft reset in terms of resolving minor software errors and glitches but it’s carried out in a different manner, particularly using hardware keys. This method is actually used to reboot a frozen iPhone. There’s no need to worry of losing any significant files as this won’t affect any saved data on the phone memory.
Second solution: Manage display settings and screen brightness.
Screen brightness, wallpapers, themes and other display features are also among the factors that can cause battery draining if not configured properly. That being said, check and review your display configurations and if necessary, make some adjustments. The following steps will show you how to adjust the screen brightness and auto-lock feature of your iPhone XR:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Select Display & Brightness.
- Adjust or reduce the brightness level by dragging the slider to the left.
- You can also adjust the Auto-Lock settings and set the screen to lock at the shortest time interval.
- Tap the Arrow left on the top-left of the screen to go back to the Settings menu.
- Scroll down to and then tap General.
- Tap Accessibility.
- Tap Display Accommodations.
- Toggle the Auto-Brightness switch to turn the feature on or off. If the battery drains so fast with auto-brightness enabled, then try to disable the feature and see if there’s any improvement, Otherwise, toggle the switch to turn the feature ON.
Reboot your iPhone afterwards to save the recent changes you’ve made on your iPhone’s display settings.
Third solution: Manage your apps.
Aside from display settings, it’s also important to manage your apps. Apps are utilizing the most of your iPhone power and thus they need to be managed properly. You can view more details on your apps battery usage with these steps:
- Tap on Settings.
- Tap Battery.
- Select Recent Usage.
- Then view the Battery Usage by app.
If any of your apps is showing unusual power consumption in a certain period of time, like in the last 24 hours or last 10 days, then you may need to manage that app. You can try updating the app first then see how it works. Otherwise, you may need to delete or uninstall the app from your phone. You can also enable Low Power Mode to temporarily reduce background activity like downloads and mail fetch when your battery is running low.
To check for and install pending updates for your apps, follow these steps:
- Tap to open the App Store from your Home screen.
- Scroll down to and then tap the Updates section.
- To update individual apps, tap the Update button next to the name of the app.
- If multiple app updates are available, tap the Update All button to install all app updates simultaneously.
If the battery draining problem started after installing an app, then that app could be the main culprit. To remove or uninstall bad apps from your iPhone XR, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, tap and hold on an app icon until the icons start jiggling.
- Tap the X on the app you want to uninstall.
- Read the warning prompt, and then select Delete to confirm deletion of the app.
After updating or deleting rogue apps, restart your iPhone to apply the recent changes and refresh the internal memory and iOS.
Fourth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone XR.
To rule out customized settings from the possible triggers, you may opt to resetting all settings on your iPhone XR to erase all customized settings and then restore the original options and values. Here’s how it’s done:
- From the Home screen, tap on Settings.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset all settings.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode.
- Then tap the option to confirm all settings reset.
When the reset is finished, your iPhone will reboot by itself. Wait until it boots up and then enable necessary features such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and other features you want to use on your phone.
Fifth solution: Update your iPhone software to the latest version available.
Installing the latest iOS version for your iPhone is also recommended. This could help solve the battery draining problem on your iPhone XR, if random bugs are the main culprits. Software updates are not only bringing in new features but also offer bug fixes. If your phone still has at least 50 percent battery life and has stable Wi-Fi connection, then follow these steps to check for and download new iOS update via over-the-air:
- Tap Settings from your Home screen.
- Select General.
- Tap Software Update.
If an update is available, you will see an update notification. Read and review the update details and highlighted information then select the option to Download and Install. Follow the rest of the given instructions to complete the update implementation on your phone. Then reboot or soft reset your iPhone XR when the new update is completely installed.
To ensure that the update installation will be completed, plug your iPhone and let it charge while updating.
Seek more help
If your iPhone XR battery is still draining so fast after applying all the above solutions, then you should call your phone provider/carrier for further recommendations. Or you can also take your device to the nearest Apple service center in your area and have it examined by an iPhone technician. The battery or other relevant components might have been damaged and therefore hardware repair/service would be necessary.
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XR touchscreen that’s responding very slowly, delayed touchscreen response issue [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Facebook app that keeps crashing, doesn’t load properly on your Apple iPhone XR [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix intermittent charging issue on your Apple iPhone XR, wireless charging interference [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Apple iPhone XR notifications that are not working [Troubleshooting Guide]
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XR smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XR. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
- First solution: Quit/force close running apps then force restart your iPhone XR.
- Second solution: Manage display settings and screen brightness.
- Third solution: Manage your apps.
- Fourth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone XR.
- Fifth solution: Update your iPhone software to the latest version available.
- Seek more help
- Connect with us