As the name implies, a conference call describes a phone call in which three or more people converse simultaneously. Conference calls are previously used as meeting tool usually in offices, to disseminate information to a large number of listeners at the same time. But with the existence of smart devices, conference calling becomes part of everyone’s daily phone call experience. Starting a conference call may vary depending on the device in use and the platform as well.
The methods and steps demonstrated in this post apply to a conference call or group call using Apple’s latest flagship device, which is the iPhone XS Max. The menu options are particularly based on the iOS 12 platform. Feel free to refer to this walkthrough whenever you need help in starting a conference call conversation on your recently procured iPhone.
Conference calling can be done using different applications. You can start a conference call using the stock Phone app on your iPhone XS, Group FaceTime, or Messages app with FaceTime integration. Read further to figure out how to utilize each of these applications to make your first conference or group call conversation on your new iPhone.
Placing a conference call or group call conversation using the iPhone XS Max Phone app
The following steps explicate the standard process in making a conference call using the stock Phone/dialer application on your iPhone XS Max through the iOS 12 platform.
- Open the Phone app then dial a preferred contact number to call. Wait for the other person to answer the call.
- Then tap the Add Call option from the In-Call menu. Doing so will put the first call on hold while you dial the second number to call.
- Wait for the third person to answer the call and then tap Merge Calls. Doing so will put everyone in a three-way call conversation.
- If you wish to add more people in to the conference call, tap the option to Add Call from the In-Call menu and then tap Merge Calls to connect all calls.
You can call up to five people at a time. Other call participants can use other phones than an iPhone.
If you want to drop or disconnect a call from the conference, simply tap Conference and then tap the End call icon next to the contact then tap End Call to confirm.
Making a conference call or group call through the iPhone XS Max Group FaceTime app
One of the recent add-ons from the latest iOS 12 update is the so-called Group FaceTime. It’s basically the video-calling app, FaceTime that has gained a new ability to hold group video calls, allowing a total of 32 people to be in the same conversation. And here’s how to it works:
- Open the FaceTime app.
- From the FaceTime app screen, tap the Plus (+) symbol on the upper-right side.
- Then enter the name or contact number of the person you want to call via FaceTime.
- After connecting to the first contact, you can add more contacts by entering their names or phone numbers. The maximum number of people to participate in a Group FaceTime conference call is 32, including you and the first person you connect to.
- Once you’re done adding all your desired contacted, you can start the conference call either via FaceTime Video or Audio conversation.
If you want to view other’s video feed up front and center while pushing everyone else back to the background, simply tap on anyone’s thumbnail. Memojis and Animojis can also be utilized during the conference or group conversation. Just tap on your own tile to have access to filters and sticker packs.
Making a conference call or group call using iPhone XS Max Messages app with FaceTime integration
You can also start a conference call or group conversation through Messages. To get started, you’ll need to create a group chat by tapping on the contact’s names and then tapping on FaceTime. All participants must have an iPhone that’s running iOS 12. Here’s how to start hosting a conference call or group conversation through your iPhone XS Max Messages and FaceTime:
- Open the stock Messages app.
- Scroll to and select an existing group conversation or start a new one.
- Tap the Avatars or Profile photos of the people/contacts you want to add in to your group conversation. The avatars can be found on the top-center of the screen.
- After selecting Avatars, tap FaceTime.
Everyone in the conference is now set to begin having a group conversation.
Other ways to make a conference call on your iPhone XS Max
There are also other ways to have a conference call or group call on your iPhone XS Max. This is where the latest instant messaging platforms play their role. Third-party app developers also ensure that their apps are able to keep up with the latest trend in technology. Leading instant messaging tools such as Facebook Messenger, Snapchat, Google Hangouts, and Skype also offer a conference calling feature that blends well with Apple’s recently implemented iOS 12 platform. The entire process mainly involves loading of the application and then choosing contacts you want to include in your group call or conference call. But of course, you have to download and install the application on your iPhone beforehand. Once you got the preferred application, you can start having conference or group call conversation via third-party application. Communication can be done through Video or pure Audio chatting, so you can choose based on what the group agrees to use. And what’s better is the fact that you can add more than the maximum number of FaceTime participants. That said, you can expect more fun and diverse conversation.
For more helpful walkthroughs and guidelines, visit our iPhone XS Max tutorials section under Troubleshooting Pages.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XS Max smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XS Max. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
- Placing a conference call or group call conversation using the iPhone XS Max Phone app
- Making a conference call or group call through the iPhone XS Max Group FaceTime app
- Making a conference call or group call using iPhone XS Max Messages app with FaceTime integration
- Other ways to make a conference call on your iPhone XS Max