With the availability of smartphones, people are not only able to easily process calls and texts but also manage emails while on the go. All it needs is an active Internet connection along with a working email application in order to get started. But just like calling and texting, email services in mobile devices can also experience errors and downtimes thus become unavailable at times. Having said that, don’t get surprise if one day you just couldn’t get to send or receive an email on your smartphone. Problems on sending and receiving emails can occur to any device, high-end or mid-range, Android or iOS.
As a matter of fact, email problems have manifested among the most prevalent issues encountered by iPhone users. And worse, it is inexorable. Tackled in this post is a relevant issue transpiring on the new Apple iPhone 8 Plus, in which the device is unable to send emails through the stock email app. What could have caused an iPhone to stop sending emails and what should users do on their end to fix the problem? If ever you’re here because you have similar questions in mind that need answers with, read on and get help.
Drop by our iPhone 8 Plus troubleshooting page if you have other issues with your phone as we’ve already addressed the most common problems. If you need more help, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
Factors that can trigger problems with sending and receiving emails on your iPhone 8 Plus
In case you’re wondering why email problems in smartphones are deemed inexorable, it’s because most of the culprits are related to the network thus beyond the end-user’s control. Most email problems in mobile devices are usually tied to network outages and other technical issues on the network providers end. Connectivity issues like when your iPhone cannot connect to the Internet either through Wi-Fi or cellular data are likewise among the reasons why you are unable to send or receive emails on your iPhone. In this case, you will need to deal with the Internet problem first for once it’s fixed, you will be most likely to send or receive emails on your iPhone as intended.
Incorrect server settings are also tagged among the possible causes. This is usually the problem if you setup your email manually on your iPhone 8 Plus or have made recent changes to the email settings on the phone.
There are also times when you couldn’t get to send an email message simply because the email address of the recipient is invalid or does not exist. The same thing can happen if your email has file attachment that is corrupted or has exceeded the file attachment size limit. If you are using Gmail for instance, you are only allowed to send up to 25 MB in attachments. So you have more than one attachment they should not add up to over 25 MB. Otherwise, Gmail will automatically add a Google Drive link in the email instead of including the file as an attachment. To access the email attachment you’ve sent, the recipient needs to download the attached file itself from the Google Drive. Outcomes vary between email providers though. Exceeding the file attachment limit can also give you an error on sending email.
Faulty updates can also inflict the same issues to occur on your iPhone. Some updates have some bugs, which could mess up your iPhone settings including your email account setup in any way. So even if you’ve setup the email account automatically, it’s still possible that the email settings for your account particularly server settings are changed. This can be considered the culprit if your iPhone 8 Plus stops sending email through the Mail app after installing new update to certain apps or iOS itself. It can denote a bug that needs to be remedied by some workarounds or official fix patch.
How to fix problems on sending emails on your iPhone 8 Plus?
Determining the underlying cause is the key to obtaining a quick solution to email problems whether with sending or receiving emails on your phone. Usually if the problem occurs all of a sudden, network problems are to blame. But if you just started to have trouble sending emails after making some changes on your iPhone settings, then the recent changes you’ve made are most likely the triggers. As much as possible, try to determine the cause. Otherwise, you will need to go through a trial and error approach in resolving the main issue.
Below is a rundown of possible solutions and workarounds that will help you deal with problems on sending emails on your iPhone 8 Plus. You may refer to these workarounds whenever you’re all set to troubleshoot.
Before you begin, check and ensure that your iPhone can connect to the Internet. To check, open Safari app then try to browse a website. If you can access the website, it means that you’re connected. If it can connect to the Internet but still you are unable to send emails, then try these subsequent solutions.
Note: Don’t forget to create a test email to send after performing each method.
Exit the Mail app then reboot your iPhone
Doing so can help rectify minor glitches on both the email app and the device itself, which in one way or another caused you this trouble. Closing the Mail app will give the app a fresh start. The same thing goes when you restart your iPhone. So give it a try and see what happens afterwards.
- How to fix Apple iPhone 8 Plus that cannot connect to Wi-Fi, having Wi-Fi connectivity problems [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Apple iPhone 8 Plus that won’t connect to a car Bluetooth or other Bluetooth devices? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix crackling noise during calls, call failed error, other calling issues on the Apple iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Apple iPhone 8 Plus Charging Issues: What to do if your iPhone 8 Plus won’t charge or charges very slowly? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Apple iPhone 8 Plus Power Issue: What to do when your iPhone 8 Plus won’t turn on? [Troubleshooting Guide]
Check your Outbox and try send the email again
Emails that are not sent usually go to your Outbox. So if you are prompted with a message saying that your email was not sent, go to your Outbox then try to send the email again. Here’s how:
- Open the Mail app.
- Tap Mailboxes on the upper-left corner.
- Tap Outbox.
- Tap the email in the Outbox folder and make sure that the recipient’s email address is correct. Also, if your email contains file attachment(s), make sure the attachment does not exceed the file size limit.
- Tap Send to resend the email.
If you don’t see an Outbox, then that denotes that your email was sent.
Verify email settings on your iPhone 8 Plus
You can compare your email settings on the Mail app with the settings for your email account. Here’s how it’s done:
- Navigate to Settings.
- Tap Accounts & Passwords.
- Then tap your email account.
- Tap your email address next to Account to view the account details including mail servers for incoming and outgoing servers settings.
Use the Mail Settings Lookup tool from the Apple Support page and check the recommended settings for your email account. Make sure the settings are the same as what you see on your iPhone screen. If not, then contact your email provider or system administrator for further assistance in reconfiguring the server settings for your email account.
Re-enter your email address and password on your iPhone
Check and make sure that the password in the outgoing mail settings (SMTP) for your email account is correct. Try to re-enter your password then see if that will fix the problem. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Accounts & Passwords.
- Tap on the email account you’re having trouble with sending emails.
- Tap on SMTP in the Outgoing Mail Server section.
- Tap on the first field list in the Primary Server section and make sure it is turned ON.
- Make sure that your full email address (email@example.com) is entered in the Username field.
- Re-type your password in the Password field even if you see that a password (in dots) is already entered.
- Tap Done to save your changes.
Restart your iPhone then try to send a test email through your iPhone 8 Plus Mail app. See if it’s now able to send.
Remove and re-add the email account
First, try to send emails on the same email account through webmail. If you can send emails through webmail on the same email account, then the problem is isolated on the Mail app. More likely, the issue is triggered by incorrect configuration on either the email account or device itself. In this case, removing the email account often helps. Should you wish to give it a shot, here’s how to remove your email account and set it up again on your iPhone 8 Plus:
- Sign in to your email provider’s website on your computer. Make sure that all of your email is there and that your email is saved somewhere other than your iPhone.
- On your iPhone 8 Plus, navigate to Settings-> Accounts & Passwords.
- Tap the email account that you want to remove.
- Tap Delete Account.
- Then wait until the email account is completely deleted.
- Restart your iPhone then set up your account again by going to Settings-> Accounts & Passwords menu, then continue with the following steps:
- Tap Add Account then select your email provider. If your email provider is not in the list, then tap Other to add your email account manually instead. Just make sure you have all the required information ready including the correct server settings to use. Contact your email provider if necessary.
- Enter your email address and password then tap Next.
- Wait for the Mail app to verify your account information, select which information from your email account you want to sync then tap Save when done.
After the email account has been setup successfully, try to create a test email to see if you can now send and receive emails on your iPhone without bumping into an error.
Seek more help
If you still cannot send emails through your iPhone 8 Plus Mail app after performing all the above procedures, then contact your email service provider for further assistance. They may be able to reset your email account settings using a more advanced email software on their end. If you suspect that the problem is caused by a faulty update like when it suddenly occurs after installing the latest iOS update for your iPhone, then contact Apple Support for other options. It is possible that the problem you are dealing with is a post-update issue that often requires a fix patch from Apple.
Connect with Us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
- Factors that can trigger problems with sending and receiving emails on your iPhone 8 Plus
- How to fix problems on sending emails on your iPhone 8 Plus?