Snapchat is a popular and fun social media network app for Android and iOS devices users, young and adults too. It’s basically a mobile messaging app that is used mainly for sharing of photos, text, videos, and sketches/drawings. This is a free app, hence all you have to do is download it on your phone and then start sending multimedia contents to any of your social media network friends.
Snapchat is designed to be as user-friendly as possible for novice smartphone users. To ensure that the app is always at its optimum performance, Snapchat developers are often pushing updates. Nonetheless, the app still succumbs into random flaws and errors. Tackled in this post is a pertinent issue on the Snapchat app that suddenly stops working or keeps crashing on an iPhone 7 Plus after installing an iOS update. Read on to find out how to deal with this issue.
Before anything else, if you have other issues with your device, try to browse through our troubleshooting page as we’ve already addressed several issues with this device. Odds are that we’ve already published a post that tackles similar problems. Try finding issues that have similar symptoms with what you currently have and feel free to use the solutions we’ve suggested. If they don’t work for you or if you still need our help, then fill up our questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
How to troubleshoot iPhone 7 Plus with Snapchat app that keeps crashing
Before you begin troubleshooting though, verify and ensure that your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi and can access the Internet. You may have to do some test browsing using Safari app to ensure you can connect to the Internet. Snapchat is an online app, which denotes the need for strong and stable Internet connection for it to work as intended. If your iPhone is having some sort of network connectivity issues, then it must be the main reason why Snapchat is acting up and therefore, that has to be resolved beforehand. If the Internet is working fine but the app is still going rogue, then you may go ahead and instigate troubleshooting with these walkthroughs.
First solution: Clear Snapchat and other background apps.
Apps can become rogue when new changes are applied, particularly on the operating system. Apps that are usually affected are the ones in standby mode or background apps. If you haven’t closed your Snapchat app when you update your iPhone software, then there’s a higher chance that the app has crashed or become corrupted. In that case, clearing the app would be necessary. Here’s how to clear app on your iPhone 7 Plus:
- Press the Home button twice quickly to launch the app switcher, containing previews of the apps you’ve recently used but not closed.
- Swipe up on the Snapchat app preview to clear it.
Do the same to the rest of your background apps. Once you’re done clearing running apps, try launching Snapchat again and see if it’s already working properly. If it’s not, then try other solutions.
Second solution: Soft reset/restart your iPhone.
A soft reset or device restart is a simple yet very effective solution when it comes to random software errors and minor system issues in mobile devices. It clears temporary data and cached files from the internal memory including those that might have been corrupted from the update and caused your apps to become suddenly bizarre. To soft reset or restart your iPhone 7 Plus, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds until the Slide to Power Off command appears.
- Then drag the power off slider to the right to shut down your iPhone completely.
- After 30 seconds, press the Power button again until the Apple logo appears.
A soft reset does not affect any data saved on the internal memory, hence won’t result to data loss. Relaunch the Snapchat app when your iPhone is finished rebooting. The problem should be gone by now unless you’re dealing with a more intricate or complex system error.
Third solution: Install pending app updates.
Apps also need updates to keep working properly and remain sturdy. App developers usually pushed updates whenever a new iOS update is up for grabs. This is to ensure that their apps can still keep up with the new platform of your device. If you haven’t configured your iPhone to automatically install updates, then you will need to manually check for and install pending app updates, particularly for Snapchat app. Here’s how to get this done:
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen.
- From the App Store main screen, tap the Updates icon at the bottom right. A list of apps with pending updates then shows up on the screen.
- Find Snapchat from the list then tap the Update button next to it. Doing so will install pending update for Snapchat.
- If you see multiple app updates, then you can update all apps simultaneously instead. Just hit the Update All button on the upper right of the screen.
Wait until all your apps are finished updating. When the update is done, restart or soft reset your iPhone to refresh the memory and operating system. Then try to see if Snapchat is already working properly. Otherwise, consider doing some software resets on your device.
Fourth solution: Reset network settings on your iPhone.
Software updates, particularly major iOS updates may override your current settings automatically. Should that happen, there is a tendency for it to result to some conflicts and/or errors. To make sure this isn’t the reason why your Snapchat app stops working, perform a network settings reset to clear the current network settings on your iPhone 7 Plus and then restore the default network values. Please note that this will disconnect your phone from the Wi-Fi network. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select Reset network settings from the given options.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode to continue.
- Then tap to confirm settings reset.
After the network settings reset, your iPhone will restart automatically. Wait until it has fully rebooted and then set up your Wi-Fi network then reconnect. Once you’ve reconnected, open Snapchat again to see if the problem is gone.
Fifth solution: Delete then reinstall Snapchat on your iPhone.
If you’ve reached this point having the same issue with Snapchat app, then deleting or uninstalling the app would be necessary as it gives way for you to reinstall the application. Here’s how to delete or uninstall Snapchat app on your iPhone 7 Plus:
- Tap and hold on any app icon from the Home screen.
- When the icons start to wiggle, tap the X on the corner of the Snapchat icon to uninstall the app.
- If prompted, confirm action by tapping Delete.
- After deleting the app, restart your iPhone then head over to the App Store to search for, download, and install Snapchat app on your device.
Restart your iPhone 7 Plus when the Snapchat app is successfully deleted. Then download the latest version of the app that’s compatible with the current iOS version of your device. Here’s how:
- Open the App Store.
- While on the App Store main screen, tap the Search icon (magnifying glass).
- Navigate to the Search tab and then type Snapchat app for iPhone or Snapchat in the search bar.
- Find and select the Snapchat app from the search results.
- To download the app, tap Get and Install. You may need to enter your Apple ID password to authorize and confirm app download and installation.
Reboot your iPhone when the app is finished installing. Then open the recently installed Snapchat app on your iPhone 7 Plus to see if it is already working fine and stable.
Seek more help
For further assistance in performing more advanced troubleshooting procedures and other recommended solutions, you can reach out to the Snapchat help center or Snapchat Support. Or you can also report the issue to Apple Support given that it started after installing an iOS update. It could be due to a software bug that needs a fix patch. Be sure to take note of any error code or warning prompt and relay that information to the support team so they can use that as additional hints on what went wrong and how to have it resolved.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone 7 Plus smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 7 Plus. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to read:
- How to fix an iPhone 7 Plus that cannot connect to or pair with other Bluetooth devices? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Network Problems: Cannot Connect, No Service, Searching, other network errors [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix YouTube app that keeps crashing, stops working on iPhone 7 Plus following an iOS update [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix iPhone 7 Plus Wi-Fi that keeps dropping out or not unavailable after iOS update [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Messaging Problems: iMessage not working, cannot send messages, cannot receive messages [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to troubleshoot iPhone 7 Plus with Snapchat app that keeps crashing