Insufficient memory, invalid settings, faulty updates — these are the usual factors that are associated with device problems on apps crashes. For server-based apps, network connectivity issues are likely to blame. Other culprits are corrupted cache files and other errant apps. These are the things that you need to consider looking into when dealing with apps problems on your device. Tackled in this post is a pertinent issue affecting the Messenger app on the iPhone 7 Plus handset. The problem started after installing the latest update to iOS. You too can refer to this walkthrough if necessary. Just read on to find out what to do if the Messenger app keeps crashing or stops working after installing the latest iOS update on your iPhone 7 Plus.
Now, before anything else, if you have other issues with your phone, make sure you drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already provided solutions to hundreds of problems reported by our readers. Odds are that we may have already provided a solution to the problem you currently have so try to find issues that are similar with yours on that page and feel free to use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work or if you need further assistance, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
- How to fix iPhone 7 Plus with Messenger app that keeps crashing
How to fix iPhone 7 Plus with Messenger app that keeps crashing
Before you begin troubleshooting, verify and ensure that your iPhone is connected to the Internet. Messenger is an online app and therefore requires an active and stable Internet connection to work. If you’re experiencing network connectivity issues like Internet drops, then that might be the reason why Messenger app keeps crashing. In that case, you’ll need to deal with network problems first for your Messenger and other online apps to work properly again. Otherwise, troubleshooting software issues on your iPhone 7 Plus with these walkthroughs.
First solution: Force close apps then restart your iPhone (soft reset).
If your iPhone or certain apps are acting up after installing a new iOS update, restarting the app and device system will likely fix the problem. The new changes might have not been properly implemented and therefore caused the Messenger app and other services to crash. In that case, you can force the Messenger app to close and then restart your iPhone 7 Plus with these steps:
- Press the Home button twice quickly. Doing so will show up a list of recently used apps on the screen.
- Swipe up on the Messenger app preview to close it.
- Do the same to close other apps in the background.
After clearing app recent apps, perform a soft reset or reboot your iPhone to refresh the system and internal memory.
- To reboot your iPhone, press and hold the Power button until the Slide to Power off prompt appears on the screen. Drag the slider to power off your device completely. After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button until the Apple logo shows up.
Wait until your device boots up completely and then open Messenger app again to see if it’s already working fine and steady.
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus stuck on ‘Waiting’ when downloading, updating, and restoring [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Facebook that keeps crashing on your iPhone 7 Plus after updating to iOS 11.3.1 (easy steps)
- How to fix Messenger app that keeps crashing on your iPhone 7 Plus (easy steps)
- How to fix Gmail app that keeps crashing on iPhone 7 Plus? [Troubleshooting Guide]
Second solution: Install app updates.
Updating apps is recommended to keep them optimized and work smoothly with the current platform of your phone. Unless you’ve configured your device to auto-install updates, you will need to manually check for any available app updates to install. Here’s how:
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen.
- From the App Store main screen, tap the Updates icon at the bottom right. A list of apps with pending updates will then show up.
- Look for Messenger app, then tap the Update button next to it.
- To the same on the rest of the apps.
- Alternatively, you can update all apps at once by tapping on the Update All button on the upper right side of the screen.
Wait until all apps are finished updating and then restart your iPhone. Performing a soft reset is recommended to ensure all recent changes from the update are properly implemented so as to prevent any issues from occurring.
Third solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone.
The new iOS update might have automatically overridden your current settings, which unfortunately resulted to some conflicts. To rule this out, you can try resetting all settings on your iPhone 7 Plus to restore the default values and then configure necessary options and features individually. Doing so will ensure that only the right options are enabled or disabled for things to work properly again on your device. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap Settings.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset All Settings. This resets system settings without affecting any data stored on the internal memory of your phone, hence does not result to data loss.
- Alternatively, you can select the option to Reset network settings, to rule network connectivity issues out from the probable cause. This will reset your network settings to default. Wi-Fi profiles will be deleted so you will need to set them up again later.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode to continue.
- Tap to confirm system settings reset.
Reboot your iPhone when the reset is finished. Then try to launch Messenger and see how it works.
Fourth solution: Uninstall and reinstall Messenger app.
If nothing else works, then you have no choice but to delete the Messenger app from your iPhone. The app might have been totally corrupted from the update and is no longer able to run anymore. Your only chance to use Messenger again is to reinstall the app on your device. Here’s what you should do then:
- Tap and hold on any app icon from the Home screen.
- When the icon starts to jiggle, tap the X on the corner of Messenger app icon to uninstall it.
- Tap Delete to confirm.
After deleting the Messenger app, restart your iPhone then head over to the App Store. While in the App Store, search for the Messenger app that is compatible with your current iOS version. Download the right app and then follow the onscreen instructions to install the app on your iPhone. To make sure everything works properly after the app installation, reboot your iPhone again.
Other suggestions to consider
Also check your phone’s internal memory and make sure there’s enough space. Apps crashes can also be triggered by insufficient memory on the device. Should this be the case, freeing up some space of the phone’s internal storage will fix the problem.
Aside from memory management, a factory reset can also be the key to fixing the problem if it’s triggered by a more intricate system error. This however, should only be considered as last resort because it results to data loss. If you think, it’s worth a shot then you may go ahead and back up all your data then reset your iPhone 7 Plus to its factory defaults. After the reset, you can set it up as new and reinstall your apps including Messenger.
Seek more help
If none of that works, then you can escalate the problem to your carrier or Apple Support. Reporting post-update issues is imperative for Apple Support to be notified about them so that they can further assess and if necessary, develop a new update containing the required fix patch.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 7 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 7. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to read:
- How to fix an iPhone 7 Plus iOS update error “Unable to Check for Update,” cannot update to iOS 11 [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an Apple iPhone 7 Plus that is unable to update to iOS 11 wirelessly or over the air? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- What to do if prompted with liquid has been detected warning on your iPhone 7 Plus (easy steps)
- How to fix Apple iPhone 7 Plus poor battery life, drains so fast, other battery issues after iOS 11 update [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an iPhone 7 Plus that has no Internet access even if connected to Wi-Fi (easy steps)
- How to fix your iPhone 7 Plus that cannot pair or connect to a Bluetooth device after updating to iOS 11.3 (easy steps)