This post tackles an issue on the iPhone 8 Plus, in which the device keeps crashing and freezing after installing the latest iOS update. Read on to find out why this happens and what must be done in order to fix the problem on your end.
When your iPhone frequently crashes or keeps freezing, it could be due to some rogue apps or complex system errors. In most cases, these symptoms are associated with memory issues but given the fact that what you have is a new device it is but very unlikely to happen. Nonetheless, it’s not impossible. Aside from memory issues, there are also other factors that cause similar issues to occur on the new iPhone 8 Plus. Just like what many people have encountered, a buggy software update can likewise trigger these same symptoms to occur on your iPhone. Bugs are usually part of every new iOS update releases simply because not all devices are configured in the same way as the actual devices used in prior software tests. And this is why follow-up updates or minor iOS versions are rolled out subsequently. These updates contain the required fix or patch to address certain bugs found in the newly implemented iOS platform. And this is likewise the main reason why it is highly recommended to keep your device software up to date. But then again, you couldn’t just leave your phone in such adverse behaviour until the next update is become available. Having said that, you can try some applicable workarounds as temporary solutions.
Drop by our iPhone 8 Plus troubleshooting page if you have other issues with your phone as we’ve already addressed the most common problems. If you need more help, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
- How to fix your iPhone 8 Plus that keeps crashing and freezing
- First solution: Force your iPhone 8 Plus to restart.
- Second solution: Clear recent apps in the background.
- Third solution: Check and manage internal memory.
- Fourth solution: Remove erratic or unstable apps.
- Fifth solution: Reset all settings on your iphone 8 Plus.
- Other options you may try
How to fix your iPhone 8 Plus that keeps crashing and freezing
Below are among the options you can try on to deal with frequent freezing and crashing issues on the iPhone 8 Plus. This shall serve as free reference for anyone who needs help.
First solution: Force your iPhone 8 Plus to restart.
It’s a simple yet very effective solution to various types of software errors that cause the iPhone to act weird at times. A forced restart does similar to a soft reset or standard reboot on the iPhone without affecting any of your critical information stored on the internal memory. Here’s how to force your new iPhone to restart:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Then press and hold the Side or Power button until the Apple logo appears.
Wait until your device boots up completely then try to see if it’s already performing stable. If the problem continues, then move on to the next possible solution.
Second solution: Clear recent apps in the background.
Background apps can also cause conflict to other apps or system functions of your device itself especially when they crashed or get corrupted. To rule this out from the possible triggers, force all your backgrounds apps to quit with these steps:
- Quickly press the Home button twice. Doing so will show up a list of your recently used apps on the screen.
- Locate and swipe up on the Instagram app to clear it.
After all your recent background apps are cleared, reboot your iPhone 8 Plus. Use it as you normally do and see how it works after clearing recent apps.
Third solution: Check and manage internal memory.
As mentioned earlier, insufficient memory or memory issues can also be the underlying cause. While it’s very unlikely for new devices to bump into this situation, it can happen if some rogue apps trigger similar symptoms to occur. If your iPhone 8 Plus started to crash and freeze after adding new apps, then care to check how much of your phone’s internal memory is consumed by that app. If you find any unusual memory allocation, then you might as well consider removing the suspected app and see how your device performs afterwards. Here’s what you should do then:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Tap Storage & iCloud Usage.
- You will then see the available memory shown on the next screen.
View how much storage apps are using, then tap the option to Manage Storage.
Fourth solution: Remove erratic or unstable apps.
Your iPhone has diagnostics and data logs that contain details of the apps that frequently crashes on your device. This information can help you determine which of your apps is unstable. The more frequent an app crashes, the higher the chance of it causing conflict to the iPhone system. And this could be the root cause of the problem you are dealing with. To check on this matter, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Privacy.
- Select Diagnostics and Usage.
- Tap Diagnostics and Data.
On the next screen, you will see a bunch of apps and data logs. Try to look into each of these data logs and see if which from among your apps is appearing repeatedly more often, like around 10 to 20 times a day. If you see any app with more frequency logs, then that app is more likely at fault. In this case, try to disable or uninstall the app from your device completely.
Fifth solution: Reset all settings on your iphone 8 Plus.
Resetting all settings on your iPhone can help you rule incorrect settings out from the possible triggers. Consider doing so especially if you’ve configured your device and your apps to install updates automatically. There’s a tendency that some updates automatically override your current settings and thereby inflicting these troubles. Here’s how to carry out this settings reset:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset All Settings.
- If prompted, enter the correct passcode for your device.
- Tap Reset All Settings to confirm.
After the settings reset, reboot your iPhone 8 Plus and then see how it works afterwards. If it still crashes or freezes with all the settings reset to defaults or properly re-configured, then most likely you’re dealing with a major system issue. In this case, a system reset might be the key to fixing the problem.
Other options you may try
- Restore to a previous iOS backup (system downgrade). You may opt to downgrade or restore your iPhone 8 Plus to a previous iOS backup if the problem occurred after an iOS update and that it persisted. In order to proceed, you will need to secure a computer that has the latest version of iTunes software installed. When you have everything set, you may proceed with a recovery mode restore or DFU mode restore through iTunes. You can refer to a more detailed walkthrough on how these restores are carried out with a step-by-step guide posted on our Tutorials section in this site. Visit our Troubleshooting page for iPhone 8 Plus for more details.
- Escalate the problem. Alternatively, you can escalate the problem to your carrier or Apple Support so that they can tag it among other post-update issues that require prompt fixes. Just give them a call, tell them what exactly has transpired, then ask further recommendations or other options to deal with post-update crashing and freezing problems on your iPhone 8 Plus.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to read:
- How to fix Apple iPhone 8 Plus that cannot connect to Wi-Fi, having Wi-Fi connectivity problems [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Apple iPhone 8 Plus Charging Issues: What to do if your iPhone 8 Plus won’t charge or charges very slowly? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to deal with quick battery draining issue on your iPhone 8 Plus [Troubleshooting Guide]