Welcome to the third part in our series of troubleshooting articles dealing with the iPhone 5S. This is the latest model from Apple that’s quite popular worldwide. Although this device is generally problem free there are instances when a few problems pop up. This is what we will be dealing with in these posts. Ever since we released the first part in this series we have been getting several emails from our readers seeking assistance for the issues they are facing with their device.
If you own an iPhone 5S or any other iPhone model for that matter feel free to contact us regarding your questions or issues at email@example.com. We will be more than happy to assist you. The best part of this all is that this is a free service we are providing to our readers so it’s best if you take advantage of it.
iPhone 5S Calls Get Dropped Using Bluetooth
Problem: My IPhone 5S (IOS 7.1.2) is constantly dropping bluetooth calls – but it stay sort of connected. I then have to hang up with my client, try and reconnect and then start over only to have this happen again. I’ve tried rebooting, reconnecting, repairing, – I’ve discussed with my phone company and of course, they say to contact Apple. I need to get fixed – it’s affecting my business calls and is frustrating.
Solution: Have you tried using another Bluetooth device and see if the issue still exists? In most cases it’s usually the Bluetooth device that is at fault. If the problem still exists with another Bluetooth device then follow the troubleshooting steps below.
- Make sure your phone and the Bluetooth device are in range (usually within 30 feet of each other).
- On your iPhone tap Settings > Bluetooth and find your device in the list. If your device says Not Connected, tap the name of your accessory to attempt to connect it.
- Tap Settings > Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth off and then on again.
- Make sure that your Bluetooth accessory is turned on and fully charged or connected to power.
- Make sure that your Bluetooth accessory is in pairing mode.
- Restart your Bluetooth accessory by turning it off and then on again1.
- Update your device to the latest version of software. See how to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- If your Bluetooth accessory has upgradable firmware, check to see that you have the latest version
If the problem still persists then do the following
- Move your iOS device closer to the Bluetooth accessory.
- Position your iOS device and Bluetooth accessory in direct line of sight of each other. For example, move the Bluetooth accessory and iOS device to the same side of your body.
- Remove any case, stand, or other accessories from your iOS device and see if performance improves.
- Check for sources of potential interference and move both the iOS device and the Bluetooth accessory away from other electronic devices.
- Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
iPhone 5S Screen Unresponsive
Problem: My 5S screen faded when I turned it on and now is unresponsive. When I turned it on it showed the picture then all of the sudden went black with hoizontal lines with different colors then faded and has not responded after that. I have tried to restart it by holding the top button and home button for 20 seconds and also have tried charging it for 20 min and then trying the restart with no luck.
Solution: Try toggling the ringer button and check if you can feel any vibrations. If it vibrates then your device is getting power but does not display any images.
Try restarting your device by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button again until you see the Apple logo. If that does not work then you can try to reset your device. Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
If you can see a low battery screen then charge your iPhone first.
If all else fails then contact Apple support as this may already be a hardware issue.
iPhone 5S How To Spot If It Is Genuine
Problem: I have purchased new 5s from local dealer how do i check its genuinty online plz help
Solution: Apple has an online service where you can input the hardware serial number of your device online to check its warranty status. This is a good indication that tells you if your device is the real deal or not.
The serial number of your device can be found at
- On the surface of the product
- In iTunes (for products that sync with iTunes)
- On the original product packaging
- On the original product receipt (or invoice)
Once you have your serial number just enter it in this website https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do
iPhone 5S Recovering Accidentally Deleted Photos
Problem: Hi, I accidentally deleted photos from my photo stream, causing them to disappear from my camera roll as well. I am desperate to get these photos back. Is there any way I can recover them? Thanks
Solution: If you have a backup of your photos on iCloud or iTunes then you will be able to restore them.
Restoring from iCloud
- Follow the initial steps in the iOS Setup Assistant (select your language, and so on).
- Select Restore from iCloud Backup when the assistant asks you to set up your iPhone (or other iOS device).
- Select the backup you created earlier.
- You can restore a backup only by using the iOS Setup Assistant.
Restoring from iTunes
- Connect your iOS device to the computer that has your backup.
- Make sure this computer has the latest version of iTunes.
- Choose File > Devices > Restore from Back up.
- If you’re using iTunes 10.7 or earlier, right-click the device from the list and choose Restore from Backup.
iPhone 5S Always Says Memory Is Full
Problem: My iPhone 5s is constantly saying its memory is full. It’s been happening for awhile now but I’m just now getting around to trying to fix it. I’ve added up my usage I should have over half my memory left But yet it says it’s full and i can’t download apps, take pictures, update the phone…I’ve tried reseting it and restoring it and it seems to free up a little space but after a couple pictures or a app download it says it’s full again. Deleting picture and apps doesn’t seem to affect my total usage. Please help!
Solution: One of the main concerns of the iPhone is that there is no way to add an external SD card which can be a problem for people who have lots of content to store. The usual storage hogs are photos and videos although other forms of data may also eat up storage space.
Here’s what you need to do to free up some space on your device.
- Before deleting stuff on your device it’s best to check on how much space you are actually using. This could be done by going to Settings -> General -> Usage then head to Storage. This will show you data on how much space is being used by your photos, videos, app, etc.
- One of the biggest storage hogs are videos. From usage go ahead and click Videos which will then bring a list of all the videos available on your device. Delete those that aren’t important to you anymore. You can either slide to the right to delete a particular video or click on edit on the top right portion then click on delete.
- When you have had your phone for quite some time you may have installed some apps in it that you don’t really need anymore. It’s time to get rid of those apps. Just tap on the app that you don’t need and hit on Delete App twice. This deletes the app and all its documents and data from your phone.
Wipe Your Device & Start Over (Last Resort)
- One of the best ways to reclaim storage space is to start new. Once you have made a backup of your data then go to Settings -> General -> Reset and Erase All Contents and Settings.
iPhone 5S Does Not Charge
Problem: hey there, My iPhone 5s (bought September 2013) blacked out and gave me the apple logo like it was booting. Later it blacked out again and said the battery is dead. Since i took it from the charger an hour before, it seems like something else is the problem. Now it’s on the charger for a wile and still says to be empty. Can someone help me?
Solution: First make sure that you are using the original charger and plug it straight to a power outlet. If it is still not charging then follow the troubleshooting steps below
Inspect the connector at the bottom of the phone
- Make sure that there are no bent pins in the connector.
- Make sure that the connector is free from debris.
- If there are bent pins or debris, please contact Apple Support.
- Otherwise, continue troubleshooting.
Make sure that the outlet you’re using works.
Make sure that the Apple USB cable and Apple USB power adapter work.
Plug the device in to power and let it charge until your device turns on. This could take between 10 and 30 minutes. If you don’t have an Apple USB power adapter, try connecting to a computer’s high-power USB 2.0 port (not a keyboard). The computer must be on.
If the device still exhibits an issue, try turning your device off and then on again while connected to power.
If the issue persists, please contact Apple Support.
iPhone 5S Can’t Hear Caller
Problem: I just got an iPhone 5S and I’m having issues with it. When people call me I can’t hear them
Solution: Follow the troubleshooting steps below to resolve this issue
- Restart the iPhone.
- Make sure your software is updated
- Increase the volume during the call.
- Make sure nothing is blocking the receiver. If you’re using a protective case or display film, remove it and try again.
- Make sure nothing is plugged into the headphone jack or the dock connector.
- Check the receiver opening to see if it is clogged with debris. If necessary, clean it with a clean, small, dry, soft-bristled brush.
- Try another location with better signal. If the audio issue happens only when on a call, it could be due to the location.
- If the iPhone is paired with a Bluetooth headset or a car kit, try turning off Bluetooth on your device.
- If the issue still exists then contact Apple Support.
iPhone 5S Touch ID Forgets Fingerprint
Problem: My I phone 5S Touch ID is forgetting my fingerprint and is doing the same thing on my mums I phone 5S too? Is there a way of stopping this? We both only have one finger assigned to the phone each and the I phone is still not recognizing the fingerprint on either phone, I have restarted my phone to try and start fresh but it makes no difference please help, we got the i phones new and not long ago either Hope you can help.
Solution: If you are having a problem with the Touch ID of your device then make sure that your phone is using the latest software first. Make sure that the Home button and your fingers are clean and dry. If you are using a screen protector or a protective case make sure that it does not cover the Home button and its surrounding ring.
Try doing the following
- Tap Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and verify that: iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on, You enrolled one or more fingerprints.
- Try enrolling a different finger.
- If you can’t enroll any of your fingers, take your iPhone 5s to an Apple Retail Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact AppleCare for further assistance.
Engage with us
If you have any concerns regarding your iPhone feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org . We will provide you with free technical support regarding the issue you are facing with your device. Just make sure to provide as much detail as possible so that we can make an accurate diagnosis.