Another well-known eReader manufacturer turned tablet maker, Kobo has announced its latest 7 inch Android operating tablet for Canada, the United Kingdom and France. Kobo Arc is already available in Canada and the U.K but those in France will have to wait till Monday to get their hands on this new device.
While competing against other 7 inch tablets such as the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7, Kobo Arc has a distinct advantage in terms of space. Besides the iPad mini, this is the only major 7 inch tablet that is available in the 64GB config. But do not expect cellular connectivity.
In Canada Kobo Arc is available for $200, $250 and $300 for the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB models respectively, while in the U.K at present just the 16GB and 32GB models are listed, for £160 and £190 respectively. In France the prices are €200, €250 and €300 for the respective models.
Kobo Arc can be purchased from Chapters-Indigo,Bestbuy.ca and Futureshop.com in Canada. WHSmith is the only retailer selling it in the U.K rights at present, and Fnac will provide it in France.
Device specifications and details are as follows:
- The highly responsive Kobo Arc is driven by a 1.5GHz OMAP 4470 dual-core processor to deliver more processing power
- It retains more than 10 hours of battery life in a single charge, giving consumers a highly responsive and long-lasting multimedia experience.
- Its 7″ high-definition display with 178 degree viewing angles, 215 pixels/inch and 1280×800 resolution with 16-million colours bring video and pictures to life.
- In Kobo’s laboratory drop-tests, the Kobo Arc’s ultra-durable glass proved more resistant to damage than any other tablet currently available in the market.
- Only 364 grams, the Kobo Arc is also one of the lightest 7″ tablets available and with the new storage configurations, consumers will relish in their ability to store as many songs, movies, eBooks, and pictures as they desire.
- Front-facing stereo speakers with SRS TruMedia® sound to bring music to life as well as a 1.3 MegaPixel front-facing camera, built-in microphone, and 802.11 WiFi to easily connect to the web without an expensive data plan.
- The fully customizable Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) operating system allows consumers to configure and modify the Kobo Arc and Kobo is already working toward an Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) upgrade.
- The Kobo Arc comes with Google Play to provide hours of entertainment through the Google Play Store’s 600,000 apps including Gmail and YouTube in addition to pre-loaded apps like Facebook®, Twitter®, Rdio®, Zinio® and PressReader®.
- The tablet comes in black and white and interchangeable SnapBacks in blue and purple.