When Apple released the final version of macOS Catalina last October 7,2019 almost all Mac users are too excited and eager to update their Mac devices. However, there are many reports that they are having macOS Catalina problems with download receiving an error such as “macOS Catalina download has failed” or “The network connection was lost” when trying to download.
There can be a few reasons why Mac Users are getting this errors when updating and downloading macOS Catalina. Perhaps Apple server is having some technical issues, or maybe you do not have enough storage space on your Mac to accommodate the update file. Another reason would be because you are having problems with your connection. Download problems can also be caused by download of Catalina was corrupted.
If you own an Apple macOS or iPhone or any other Apple products, we will be glad to assist you with any concerns that you may have with your device. Feel free to contact us using this form. This is a free service that we are offering. We asked however, that when you do contact us, please try to be as detailed as possible about your concern so that we can accurately assess your concern and able to give appropriate solutions.
BELOW ARE THE LIST OF THE POTENTIAL SOLUTIONS WITH macOS CATALINA: PROBLEMS WITH DOWNLOAD AND HOW TO FIX IT
How to download macOS Catalina:
1: Check Device Compatibility: Before you download and update your Mac to macOS Catalina, make sure to check if your Mac device is compatible with Catalina to be able to run its software. Since not all Mac models supports and is able to run Catalina. Below are the list of compatible Mac models for macOS Catalina:
- MacBook Pro (mid 2012 onward)
- MacBook Air (mid 2012 onward)
- 12-inch MacBook (early 2015 onward)
- iMac Pro (2017 onward)
- iMac (late 2012 onward)
- Mac Mini (late 2012 onward)
- Mac Pro (late 2013 onward)
- Backup your Mac Device: the final version of macOS Catalina is considered to be a major update. Hence will all major update on Apple products, it can be risky. That is why before downloading and updating to the latest macOS Catalina, it is highly recommended to Back up your device. This is to prevent unexpected losses of data and files incase errors should occur during the entire download process. With your backed up files and data, it is then easier for you to restore them if you need to.
- Download macOS Catalina from the App Store: To download macOS Catalina, go to the App Store on your Mac, type on the Search Tab ‘macOS Catalina’ ‘then press Enter afterwards. Click on the Install option to start the download process of macOS Catalina on your Mac device.
Now that you’ve started the download process, it cannot be prevented that the download will have some interruptions and errors will occur. The problems with macOS Catalina and possible solutions on how to fix them will be discussed below.
Solution 1: Check Apple Server status
Apple users are being provided by Apple support page where you can check a real-time status for every apps, services and iCloud. You will also see if a system is experiencing an error or a problem. If everything is green, it means it is available and everything is working perfectly on Apple’s end.
Solution 2: Not Enough Storage Space
Perhaps the reason why macOS Catalina Download may fail is because of not having enough storage space available on your Mac Device. To check for storage availability, open the Apple Menu and click on “About this Mac” option. Click on Storage to see what is the available storage space . ensure at least 15 GB to 20 GB of storage space available to avoid errors while downloading macOS Catalina. Otherwise, you will need to manage and free some space by deleting some contents.
Solution 3: Check Network Connection
At times, an error ‘The Network Connection was lost’ would appear when trying to download or during the download process of macOS Catalina on your Mac Device. You have to make sure that you are getting a strong signal from your network connection to avoid disturbing the download.
Before trying again to download Catalina after getting the prompt on the screen, you have to make sure that you are connected to a strong and reliable WiFi Connection. Having a weak and unreliable signal strength could affect the download of macOS Catalina. To check network status, follow these simple steps:
- Check the router you are using at home or at work, making sure it is turned ON and is working properly.
- Switch OFF your router at least 5-10 minutes.
- Then Switch ON the router and connect your Mac to the WiFi Connection.
- Once Mac Device is successfully connected, try to update again simply by: Going to App Store on your Mac>On the Search Tab, type ‘macOS Catalina”>Click on “Install” to try downloading again.
If the above steps didn’t work and the problem still persists, another easy option is to directly connect your Mac device by plugging in the Ethernet cable via an adapter instead of using the WiFi. This can solve download problems as this method can speed up slow downloads caused by slow network connection.
Solution 4: Delete Partially Downloaded macOS Catalina file.
Try to find the partially-downloaded macOS Catalina file if you are still having problems finishing the download of macOS Catalina. Sometimes download files can be corrupted or downloaded only partially. On your hard drive, you will find a file named “Install macOS 10.15”. Delete that file and reboot your Mac. After reboot, try to re-download macOS Catalina again.
Even after the solutions mentioned above and still the download problems is still there, open up the App Store on your Mac, Click on the View my Account option and check on the Unfinished Download Section. From there, you can try to restart the download of macOS Catalina to your Mac Device.
Still having problems after macOS Catalina update, connect with us:
If you have any questions & concerns regarding your macOS or iPhone , feel free to connect with us using this form. We will be of help and will provide you with a free technical support. Just make sure to provide us with the details as possible for us to make an accurate assessment and provide you appropriate intervention. Also, do let us know your experience along the way. I look forward to hearing from you.