Among the most common issues transpiring in new devices are on errant apps. Issues are mostly transpiring on third-party applications than stock apps and can be attributed to many different factors. Tackled in this post is one of the prevalent problems with apps raised by several owners of the new iPhone X. It’s about the Instagram application that keeps crashing or not working properly on their iPhone. Apparently, it’s a software-related issue and therefore rectifiable by some workarounds. To give you more inputs on how to deal with problem on apps crashes, I have mapped out a few generic solutions you can try on. If you think this context is substantial, then you should read on.
But before anything else, if you have other concerns with your iPhone 7 Plus, make sure you drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most commonly reported issues with this new iPhone. If you need further assistance or if you can’t find what you’re looking for in that page, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit. Don’t worry, it’s a free consultation service so you don’t have to worry about anything. Just give us more information about the problem and we’ll do our best to help you fix it.
First solution: Disconnect and reconnect to Wi-Fi.
Instagram is a server-based app, which means it requires Internet connection to carry out its tasks like Facebook app does. Now if your iPhone is having some wireless connectivity issues like intermittent Wi-Fi internet, chances are that server-based apps including Instagram will become erratic or unstable too. Should this be the underlying cause, turning Wi-Fi off and on shortly will likely be able to fix it. So here’s what you should try doing first:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Then toggle the Wi-Fi switch to turn off Wi-Fi.
- After about 30 seconds, tap the switch again to turn Wi-Fi back on.
Reboot your iPhone to refresh its network system and at the same time clears any minor software glitches. Then try to launch Instagram and see if it’s already working fine and stable.
- How to fix an iPhone X that cannot access Internet even if connected to Wi-Fi network? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Messenger that keeps crashing or stops working on your iPhone X after installing a new iOS update (easy steps)
- How to fix YouTube that keeps crashing, stops working, showing errors on your iPhone X (easy steps)
- How to fix Twitter that keeps crashing, not working stable on your Apple iPhone X (easy steps)
- How to fix Netflix that keeps crashing or not working on your iPhone X (easy steps)
Second solution: Clear the app and reboot your iPhone X.
Clearing the app is also another way to clear the app from minor glitches that triggered it to misbehave. It likewise refreshes the application to make it run smoothly and works properly. Having said that, try clearing Instagram and other apps on your iPhone X then follow it up with a soft reset. Here’s how it’s done:
- Swipe up from the bottom to the middle of your Home screen and then hold until the App Switcher appears. The app switcher contains previews of your recently used applications.
- Swipe left or right to locate Instagram from the apps preview.
- Firmly touch and hold the Instagram app icon then tap the minus sign (-) in a red circle.
- Alternatively, you can swipe up to close the app as soon as the minus sign appears.
After clearing apps, reboot your iPhone X with these steps:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume button until the Slide to Power Off is displayed.
- Drag the slider to turn your iPhone completely off.
- After about 30 seconds, press and hold the Side/Power button again until the Apple logo appears.
Allow your device to complete booting up and then open Instagram again to see if it’s already fixed.
Third solution: Install app update (if available).
Updating apps is likely the required solution if your Instagram app keeps crashing due to some malware or software bugs. Updates usually contain fix patches for security enhancements and get rid of any bug that’s making the app erratic. To check for available app updates on your iPhone X, follow these steps:
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen.
- Tap the Updates icon at the bottom right side of the App Store main screen.
- Tap the Update button next to Instagram and/or other app to install individual update.
- Otherwise, tap the Update All button to install multiple app updates at once.
Wait until all app updates are completely installed then reset your iPhone to apply the new changes.
Fourth solution: Reset network settings on your iPhone X.
Network errors that might have caused problems to your online apps including Instagram can likely be eliminated by performing a network settings reset. It’s also a recommended solution when dealing with network connectivity issues attributed to network settings errors or invalid network configurations. Should you wish to take a chance in this workaround, just follow these steps:
- Navigate to Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset network settings. This will erase your current network settings including Wi-Fi networks and passwords.
- Enter your device passcode, if prompted.
- Tap the option to confirm network settings reset.
When the reset is finished, your iPhone will restart automatically. After the restart, you will need to set up and reconnect to your Wi-Fi network. With your iPhone connected to Wi-Fi, open Instagram and see if it is already working properly.
Fifth solution: Delete and reinstall Instagram.
Your Instagram app might have been totally corrupted and therefore no longer working on your device. This is likely the case if the app is afflicted by some malware or complex bugs. To fix the problem, you will need to delete or uninstall the corrupted Instagram app then download and install the latest version of the app on your iPhone. Here’s how to get this done:
- Tap and hold on any app icon from the Home screen.
- When the icons start to jiggle, tap the X in the corner of the Instagram app icon.
- Finally, tap Delete to confirm deletion of the selected application.
- Restart your iPhone X afterwards then head back to the App Store to download and install the latest version of Instagram app for your iPhone X.
In case you will encounter problems when installing the app like when your iPhone X says Double Click To Install but you got nowhere to tap, just double-click the Side/Power button to activate FaceID. You can use FaceID to confirm the installation of the app instead.
Alternatively, you can close and reopen the App Store to clear any software glitch from within the App Store system that might have prevented you from updating, downloading or installing applications.
Seek more help
You may reach out to Instagram Support or visit Instagram help site to report the issue you have with your iPhone X Instagram app if it persisted after exhausting all prior methods. There might be some complex in-app errors that require more advanced troubleshooting procedures using a dedicated tool or software. You may then request further assistance and official recommendations on what to do next as temporary and/or ultimate solution.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to check out:
- How to fix unresponsive display problem on iPhone X? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an iPhone X that is responding to touch inputs very slowly, delayed touchscreen response [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix the iPhone X microphone that is not working (easy steps)
- How to fix an iPhone X that suddenly lost sound or no audio outputs (easy steps)
- Why does my iPhone X unable to connect to Wi-Fi, no Internet access and how to fix it? [Troubleshooting Guide]