Apple has finally rolled out the iOS 11.4.1 update after two months of thorough testing. It’s a minor update and likely the final iOS 11 version that includes bug fixes and security enhancements for the receiving iPhones and iPads. This update is specifically intended fix an issue with Find My iPhone that prevented users from viewing the last known location of their AirPods. It’s also pushed to enhance reliability of syncing mail, notes and contacts with Exchange accounts.
However, it was later found that the new iOS version had caused troubles to some iPhone 7 owners. It turned out that some third-party/downloaded apps have gone rogue after the iOS update installation. Among the affected apps is Instagram. If you’re experiencing the same issue when using Instagram on your iPhone 7, I’ve mapped out a few simple solutions for you to try on.
But before anything else, if you have another issue with your phone, drop by our troubleshooting page as we have already addressed hundreds of issues reported by the owners. Odds are that there are already existing solutions on our website or at least, there are similar problems we already fixed. So, try to find ones that are similar or related to your problem. If you need further assistance, however, feel free to contact us by filling up our iPhone issues questionnaire.
How to troubleshoot iPhone 7 with Instagram app that keeps crashing
Before you begin to troubleshoot, check and ensure that your iPhone has stable Internet connection. Intermittent connectivity or no Internet connection could be the main reason why Instagram isn’t working properly. In that case, you will need to deal with network connectivity issues on your iPhone first and once you’ve fixed that, all online or web-based apps should be back up and running smoothly. If your network connection is good but Instagram still doesn’t load properly or keeps crashing, then you may go ahead and troubleshoot your iPhone with the following walkthroughs.
First solution: Clear Instagram and other apps.
It’s inevitable for some apps to go rogue after a new platform transition. Some apps may crashed or stopped working unless they’re refreshed. As resolution, a force stop on the app will likely clear the error and get the app to start smoothly. That said, try to force close Instagram on your iPhone 7 with these steps:
- Press the Home button twice quickly. Doing so will launch a new screen containing a list of recently used apps that aren’t closed.
- Swipe up on the Instagram app preview to clear/quit it.
Do the same to clear the rest of the background apps. Clearing background apps will help prevent other running apps from causing conflict with Instagram especially when any of them crashed. After clearing all background apps, open Instagram and see if it’s already working properly.
Second solution: Restart your iPhone 7 (soft reset).
Continue to troubleshoot if the force closing Instagram and background apps failed to solve the problem. The problem may be more complex and therefore requires a system restart. And this is where a soft reset plays a key role. Cache and temporary data that might have crashed following the system transition are going to be dumped in the process, thus any trouble they may have caused to Instagram will likewise be cleared. To give it a shot, follow these steps to soft reset your iPhone 7:
- Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds until the Slide to Power Off command appears.
- Then drag the power off slider to the right to shut down your iPhone completely.
- After 30 seconds, press the Power button again until the Apple logo appears.
After the phone reboots, launch Instagram and see if the problem is solved.
Third solution: Update Instagram and other apps (if applicable).
Installing app updates, particularly for Instagram may also be the key solution if the problem is attributed to system conflicts. App developers also pushed minor updates before or after a new iOS version is released. This is to ensure that their apps would still meet the minimum system requirements and continue to carry out their designed functions. To check for any pending app updates to install, follow these steps:
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen.
- From the App Store main screen, tap the Updates icon at the bottom right. A list of apps with pending updates then shows up on the screen.
- Find Instagram from the list then tap the Update button next to it. Doing so will install pending update for Instagram app.
- If you see multiple app updates, then you can update all apps simultaneously instead. Just hit the Update All button on the upper right of the screen.
Reboot your iPhone when all app updates are completely installed. Doing so will ensure that all new app changes are properly implemented and prevent apps from acting weird.
Fourth solution: Delete the app and then reinstall it from the App Store.
Clearing app cache and data in iOS is done by deleting and reinstalling the application. This is usually needed to deal with complex application errors that could not be remedied by the basic workarounds. This can be the key to fixing the problem if Instagram has become totally corrupted. Here’s how to uninstall and reinstall Instagram on your iPhone 7:
- Tap and hold on any app icon from the Home screen.
- When the icons start to wiggle, tap the X on the corner of the Instagram icon to uninstall the app.
- If prompted, confirm action by tapping Delete.
- After deleting the app, restart your iPhone then head over to the App Store to search for, download, and install Instagram app on your device.
Restart your iPhone after deleting Instagram app and then download the latest version of the app from the App Store. Make sure you download the app version that’s compatible with the current iOS version of your device. Here’s how:
- Open the App Store.
- While on the App Store main screen, tap the Search icon (magnifying glass).
- Navigate to the Search tab and then type Instagram app for iPhone or Instagram in the search bar.
- Find and select the Instagram app from the search results.
- To download the app, tap Get and Install. You may need to enter your Apple ID password to authorize and confirm app download and installation.
Follow the rest of the onscreen instructions to complete the app installation and then reboot your iPhone. Instagram should be working properly by then. If not, then you’re likely dealing with more intricate system issues on your phone. At this point, you may continue to troubleshoot your iPhone software.
Fifth solution: Reset network settings on your iPhone 7.
Performing a network settings reset may be necessary especially if the new update may have bobbled the phone’s network configurations. As a result, network errors occurred and are thereby afflicting network functions and online apps including Instagram. To rule this out, follow these steps to reset network settings on your iPhone 7 and restore the default settings and original options:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select Reset network settings from the given options.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode to continue.
- Then tap to confirm settings reset.
Your iPhone will restart automatically when the reset is finished. After the restart, set up and connect to your Wi-Fi network to use Internet services on your device. To find out if that fixes the problem with Instagram, launch the app and see how it works.
Seek more help
For other options and recommendations, you can reach out to Instagram Support or visit the Instagram Help Center. There may be some advanced app settings that need to be modified to make the app work with the newly installed platform. Relay any error messages or codes you see as they would serve as clues on what has probably gone wrong with the application and how to make it work properly again. Or you can also escalate the issue to your device carrier or Apple Support, so they can make further assessments and if necessary, develop a fix patch to address the problem.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone 7 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 7. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to read:
- Apple iPhone 7 Overheating Issue: Why does my iPhone 7 get very hot? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- What to do when your iPhone 7 shows liquid has been detected warning (easy steps)
- How to fix an iPhone 7 that is charging very slowly after installing an iOS update (easy steps)
- How to fix an iPhone 7 that is overheating after installing new iOS update (easy steps)
- How to fix an iPhone 7 that keeps crashing and freezing after installing new iOS update (easy steps)