The available storage space on your Apple watch series 4 is 16GB. Most often, the storage space on the Apple Watch is not really a big deal and may not be something to worry about since most of the Apps can be downloaded on the iPhone and the apps that needs to be downloaded on the Apple watch just happens to not exceed the storage space. However, there are also times wherein an error message occurs such as “cannot update” because of a low storage space. Ideally, each update that Apple releases takes up storage space not only on Apple watches but all Apple devices as well. Luckily, there are ways on how to free storage space on Apple Watch 4 which will be discussed below.
Every now and then, Apple would release a new software update to fix bug that may cause issues or problems relating to your iOS devices. Issues such as low storage space is most common especially when updating. Your wearable device can run out of storage too and without an available storage space, Apple watch won’t be able to update and can be a problem for Apple watch owners.
Although Apple Watch 4 is equipped with 16GB storage, but by default it will not be entirely 16GB as some of the storage space will be used for features and system processes. But does not usually take up much storage, still leaving you with more storage space for your preferences as well i.e. music, apps and podcasts.
In order to check how much storage space is left on your Apple watch 4, you can do this in two different ways: on your iPhone and on the Apple watch itself. Either way, both displays your storage capacity as well as the available storage left.
To check storage using your iPhone:
- Launch Apple Watch app
- Tap on General
- Then tap on About
- You will now see the total storage capacity and the storage available
To check storage on the Apple Watch
- Press the Digital Crown to reveal the home screen
- From the home screen of your Apple watch, tap on Settings
- Tap on General
- Next, tap on About
- You will see the total storage capacity as well as the storage space available. You will also see which how many photos, songs and applications you have on your watch.
FREE STORAGE SPACE APPLE WATCH 4
Now that you are aware how much storage space is left on your watch and what features or apps is taking up much of your storage space but you need to free up because of a new software update, continue to read on below for the ways on how to free storage space on Apple watch 4.
If you’re a music lover type, the Apple watch can be the perfect companion to your iPhone as it lets you control the music from your iPhone. But even without an iPhone that’s in close range with you wearable watch, you can still add music playlist for you to listen.
How to remove music using your iPhone:
- Go to the Watch app from the home screen of your iPhone
- Tap on My Watch tab located at the lower left side
- Scroll down from the list of tabs and tap on Music
- Then tap on the Edit button, located at the upper right corner.
- On the Playlists & Album category, tap on the red button to remove music.
- Next, tap Delete to confirm action
Also, on the same menu you can see Heavy Rotation tab, it uses available space on your Apple watch for music playlists and albums. Thereby if you are on a really tight storage space on your watch make sure to Toggle OFF Heavy rotation tab.
3. Remove Podcast
If you have a podcast on your Apple watch, removing it may not be as easy as removing music. Why is that so? When you are subscribed to a podcast, the podcast app will automatically download the episodes that are new and automatically syncs them to your Apple watch. Given that, it can take of the storage space which usually depends on the number of podcasts you listened to most of the time.
Also, unlike with removing playlists and albums on your Apple music, with Podcast there it’s not the same since there isn’t any other way to remove podcasts manually.
How to remove Podcast:
- Go to Watch app from the home screen of your Apple watch
- Then tap on My Watch tab at the lower left corner of the menu bar
- Next, scroll down from the list of tab options and tap on Podcast.
- Tap on Custom. This is to select a podcast that is specific and are sync on your watch.
- Toggle the slider next to your Podcasts. The episodes that we’re not played on your Apple watch will no longer be synced.
4.Manage Apps, Delete when necessary
Managing apps that you’ve installed in your Apple watch can take up space on your watch, depending on the file size of the app. There are two different types of Apps: the third-party apps that you can download from the App Store and the First party apps are apps made or manufactured by Apple’s operating system itself and are by default placed on your device.
How to delete Third party apps:
- Press the Digital crown to reveal the home screen of the App Grid
- Tap and slightly hold the app you want to delete, the app will appear as wiggling
- Tap on the “X” icon at the upper portion of the app
- Prompt message appears “Are you sure you want to delete “Name of app”
- Tap on Delete App
Deleting first party apps basically has the same method with deleting third party apps. First party apps that can be deleted to save up some free space are Timer, Walkie Talkie, Remote, Breathe, Timer, Alarms, Now Playing, and even the camera app. You can choose which first party app you want to delete. You may delete those that you are no longer using or isn’t useful for you. That way your watch will have more space to update and to download apps that you want to use.
5. Disable Automatic Downloads
When you download an app on your iPhone, and when that app will also be made available to download on your watch, it will automatically download and can take up storage space. In order to prevent an app to take up some space without you knowing, you can disable the Automatic Download settings. That way you can only choose which app you want to download whenever it is already available for your watch.
How to disable Automatic downloads:
- Press Digital Crown to reveal App grid
- Tap on Settings
- Then tap on App Store
- Toggle OFF Automatic Downloads
When Automatic Downloads is enabled, it will automatically download new apps which also includes free apps that have already been downloaded on the devices synced with you watch.
6. Delete Old Messages
Old messages thread usually takes up storage space not only on your Apple watch but to other devices as well. It is then recommended to delete old messages that are no longer useful from time to time. Deleting old messages can be deleted directly from your Apple watch:
How to delete:
- Press the Digital Crown to reveal the App grid
- Tap on Messages app
- On the message thread that you want to delete, slide from right to left. Two icons will appear: Do not disturb icon that looks like a moon and the Delete icon that looks like a trash can.
- Tap on the Delete icon
- Next, tap on Trash
- Message will now be deleted.
7. Manage sync photos
The photos from your iPhone will automatically sync to your Apple watch. This is a default setting. Having a lot of Photos on your iPhone can take up a lot of storage space on your watch. Although you will have the option to choose which album you want it to sync, there is an easy way to avoid photos to take up your storage space. The best way to do this is to limit that number of photos you want to sync.
How to Limit Sync Photos:
- Go to Watch App from the home screen of your iPhone
- Tap on My watch tab located at the lower left corner
- Then, go to Photos tab
- Tap on Photos Limit tab
- Select from the options: 25 Photos, 100 Photos, 250 Photos and 500 Photos. It is recommended to select the lowest limit to help save your storage space.
Having Issues with your iPhone or iPad? Feel free to contact us using this form. We’ll try to help.