Whether you just want to temporarily stop getting message notifications from a friend for a while, doing an important chore or task at the moment, or if you’re at an important meeting and don’t want to be distracted, there’s an easy way to stop your #iPhoneX from disturbing you. Whatever your reason is, turning on Do Not Disturb can be a good one-stop shop if you want stop receiving notifications in a hurry. You can mute the device for one specific contact only, or you can do it for everything. There’s also an option for you to activate it for only a specific time range. If you’re wondering how to do it, continue reading this guide.
Before we proceed let us remind you that you can contact us by using the link provided at the bottom of this page. When describing your issue, please be as detailed as possible so we can easily pinpoint a relevant solution. If you can, kindly include the exact error messages you are getting to give us an idea where to start. If you have already tried some troubleshooting steps before emailing us, make sure to mention them so we can skip them in our answers.
How to set Do Not Disturb for one specific contact only on your iPhone X
Setting up Do Not Disturb for one contact is easy. This option comes in handy if you don’t want to stop receiving notifications from the rest of your friends or contacts. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Messages app and tap on the conversation thread that you want to set Do Not Disturb for.
- Tap on the blue circle with an “i” on the upper right.
- Move the slider for Hide Alerts to the right to enable Do Not Disturb feature for this contact.
- Tap Done.
Afterwards, you should not be able to receive any notifications from this contact unless you toggle Hide Alerts option off. Alternatively, you can simply swipe left on the conversation thread in Messages and select Show Alerts to attain the same result.
How to enable Do Not Disturb for all calls and notifications
If you want to completely silent all incoming notifications and alerts on your phone, you can do so by enabling Do Not Disturb for a specific period of time. Just like setting it up for a single contact, the process is easy. You can also set your phone to continue giving you notifications for exempted contacts if you wish so. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Settings app.
- Tap Do Not Disturb.
- Press the indicator next to Do Not Disturb to turn the function on or off.
- Press the indicator next to Scheduled and follow the instructions on the screen to select the required period for Do Not Disturb. This is where you can set what time your phone can make alerts and notifications, even if Do Not Disturb is active.
- If you want to set your iPhone to silent mode for good, tap Always. Should you want to activate silent mode only after you’ve locked the screen, tap While iPhone is locked.
- If you wish that some select contacts can continue to contact you even if Do Not Disturb is active, tap Allow Calls From and select the required option. To go back to the main Do Not Disturb screen, press the left arrow at the top.
- Press the indicator next to “Repeated Calls” to turn the function on or off.
If you want to turn on Do Not Disturb While Driving, you can configure it by doing the following steps:
- While still in the Do Not Disturb main menu, scroll down to Do Not Disturb While Driving section and tap on Activate.
- Select which option is best for you — Automatically, When connected to Car Bluetooth, or Manually.
- Press arrow left.
- Press Auto-Reply To.
- Press the required setting to select which contacts should automatically be notified that Do Not Disturb While Driving is turned on.
- Press arrow left.
- Press Auto-Reply and follow the instructions on the display to edit the automatic message that Do Not Disturb While Driving is turned on.
- To return to the Home screen, just slide your finger upwards starting from the bottom of the screen.
That’s it! You’ve finished setting up Do Not Disturb on your iphone x. Don’t forget to turn this feature off if you won’t need it anymore.
Engage with us
If you happen to have a problem with your own iPhone, let us know about it and we will do our best to post them and their solutions in our upcoming articles. You can use this link to contact us for assistance. We can’t guarantee an answer to every question but rest assured that we will exhaust everything on our end to help you.
Be as detailed as possible when describing your problem to help us diagnose your issue easily. If you can include error messages, popups, attempted troubleshooting steps, and circumstances leading to the problem, that would be very helpful.