Location services play a vital role in some people’s lives, particularly travelers who rely much on mobile devices to get to their destinations. These services incorporate with other resources such as cellular data, cell tower location data, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS to provide accurate locations and directions. Modern smartphones have built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radio transmitters that utilize low power and often transmit data within short distances.
GPS on the other hand, can provide reliable location information especially when you are within the visible horizon of a GPS satellite. This enables smartphones to receive and show the most accurate locations and directions based on your current location.
This tutorial will walk you through enabling this service on your iPhone XR handsets. Read further for more information. But before that, if you found this post while looking for a solution to a different problem, then visit our iPhone XR troubleshooting page for we have already fixed some of the most common issues with this phone. Find issues that are similar with yours and feel free to use our solutions. If you need more help, you may contact us by filling up our questionnaire.
Turning Location Services On or Off from your iPhone XR handset
In iOS 12 devices like the iPhone XR, this feature and other relevant settings can be managed through the phone’s Privacy menu. Here’s how to access it:
- From the Home screen, tap to open Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on Privacy.
- Select Location Services.
- Toggle the switch to turn the feature ON. If the switch is disabled or grayed out, check and ensure that this isn’t restricted. You can view this information by heading to your iPhone’s Restrictions menu. Just refer to the outlined steps below to access the Restrictions menu and manage settings on your iPhone XR.
- Once it is enabled, select which app you want to share location services for. You can find location-enabled apps under Share My Location.
- Tap to select your preferred location access.
- After you select the preferred app in the list, you will be prompted with several Location services options including the following:
- Never – disables Location Services for the chosen app
- While Using – Location Services is only active when the chosen app is open
- Always – Allows Location Services at all times, but is only limited to selected background apps like Weather, Apple Maps
- Just tap to select your desired option.
- Once finished, swipe the screen upward to go back to the Home screen.
When the service is turned ON, your current location information will be determined through GPS.
How to setup the Call Forwarding feature on your Apple iPhone XR
What to do if your iPhone XR Location Services indicator is disabled?
As mentioned earlier, you won’t be able to enable the feature on your iPhone XR if the button is grayed out due to some activated restrictions. In that case, you will need to manage your iPhone restrictions for it. Here’s how to access and manage this feature:
- From the Home Screen, select Settings.
- Tap General.
- Then, select Restrictions. When Restrictions are on, you will be asked to provide the restrictions code. If you don’t remember setting up a Restrictions code, most manufacturers use default codes 1111 or 0000. If both these codes don’t work and you have quite forgotten your Restrictions code, your only option to reset it is by restoring your iOS device via iTunes. Don’t forget to back up your phone before doing the process.
- Swipe downwards and tap Location Settings under the Privacy section.
- Tap Allow Changes to enable your Location Services.
- The tap the indicator to turn on the Location Services.
GPS and Location Services in contemporary devices
In prior years, GPS on mobile phones was only designed for 911 emergency calls. Nowadays, GPS is now utilized by location-enabled applications such as navigation, weather updates and the like. These apps will have access to your location when the Location Services is turned on.
Turning on the Location Services on your iPhone XR will let the main server acquire your current location information and share it to third-party apps whenever needed. You can manage which apps you would grant access to your phone’s current location.
Apple iPhone XR Factory Reset Guide: How Reset your iPhone
What happens when it is turned off?
Most of the apps are reliant on Location Services. The Apple Maps won’t be able to provide accurate directions when the Location Services is off and Find My iPhone is unusable. Meanwhile, third- party apps that need your location are also worthless when the it is off. A notification will pop up once you launched an app that requires GPS and you will be asked to turn your location services on. But there is one exception though. When using emergency services like 911, Apple can still access your location even if the service is off.
If you’re having trouble setting up or enabling this service on your iPhone XR, toggling the Airplane Mode switch can help. Doing so gives a quick refresh to your iPhone’s wireless radios and thereby eliminates random flaws. Hope this helps.
I hope that this how-to post has helped you one way or another. Please help us spread the word by sharing this post to your friends or people who may also have similar problems. Thanks for reading!