Owning a later Android smartphone or iPhone is like having a hotspot in your pocket simply because these devices already come with built-in mobile hotspot functions. All you need is a tap to enable the mobile hotspot feature and then you can start sharing that connection with your other nearby devices like tablets, game consoles, laptops or other devices that are Wi-Fi capable. This is indeed a very good alternative to a Wi-Fi Internet from wireless access points through routers and modem at home or in public places.
This post will walk you through a simple process of setting up or using your new iPhone XS Max handset as mobile hotspot. Read on for more information.
Most mobile hotspots already integrate a full suite of security tools such as WPA encryption and WEP. This makes your mobile hotspot safe from any unauthorized users and hackers. To make this happen, setting up a strong password is recommended.
A maximum of five mobile devices can connect to a mobile hotspot on a 3G phone and up to 10 devices on a 4G LTE smartphone. The latter applies to the iPhone XS Max basing on its Internet specs. The data used by each connected devices will be deducted from the total amount of data you chosen in your current plan.
Setting up and using the iPhone XS Max Mobile Hotspot functions
The following steps will help you set up and share Internet connection from your iPhone XS Max via Mobile hotspot or Wi-Fi hotspot. Start whenever you’re all set.
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Go to General.
- Tap About.
- Tap Name and then change the name of your iPhone’s personal hotspot as you desired.
- After naming your iPhone’s personal hotspot, navigate to About-> General-> Settings menu to go back to the main list of settings.
- Tap to select Personal Hotspot. If this option is missing, tap Carrier instead. Personal Hotspot should be in that menu.
- Then toggle the Personal Hotspot switch to enable the feature.
- To create or change the Wi-Fi password, tap on Wi-Fi Password and then enter the required information. Be sure to use a strong password for your Mobile Hotspot. As recommended, the password must be comprised of an eight ASCII characters (numbers, letters, and punctuations combined). Be sure to take note of your password too.
- Allow your iPhone XS Max to set up Mobile Hotspot connection based on the information you provided.
Once the Wi-Fi/mobile hotspot is successfully set up, you may begin sharing data connection from your iPhone XS Max to all other connected devices. Just make sure your iPhone has enough power to last longer.
How to connect other Wi-Fi enabled devices to your iPhone XS Max Mobile hotspot?
After you’ve activated Mobile Hotspot or Personal Hotspot on your iPhone XS Max, try to connect your other devices to see if Internet sharing works as intended. Here’s how it’s done:
- Enable or turn on Wi-Fi feature on your other device(s).
- Then scroll to the list of available Wi-Fi networks.
- Select your iPhone XS Max Mobile Hotspot by simply tapping on the name of your hotspot.
- Enter the correct Wi-Fi hotspot password when asked. It should be the same information you’ve entered when you set up the password for your iPhone XS Max Wi-Fi hotspot.
Wait for your other device to establish connection from your iPhone’s hotspot and then try browsing the Internet.
If you’re having trouble connecting to the Internet, soft reset your iPhone XS Max and then retry to connect your other device. If that doesn’t help, then you can perform a network settings reset and then set up Mobile Hotspot on your iPhone XS Max again.
When and how to turn off Personal Hotspot on your iPhone XS Max?
To prevent wasting data connection and incurring extra data charges, be sure to disable Personal Hotspot on your iPhone XS Max if you no longer need it. Here’s how to do so:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap Personal Hotspot or go to Carrier-> Personal Hotspot.
- Then tap the Personal Hotspot switch to turn the feature OFF.
For more information about getting the right data plan for mobile data services on your account, contact your network service provider/carrier. Exceeding the monthly mobile hotspot allowance for your account also means extra charges.
Feel free to visit our iPhone XS Max Troubleshooting page to view more advanced tutorials and troubleshooting guides.
I hope that this how-to post has helped you one way or another. Please help us spread the word by sharing this post to your friends or people who may also have similar problems. Thanks for reading!