Messenger emerges among the most popular and widely used apps by smartphone users around the world. That is why if something goes wrong and the app suddenly malfunctions, it would be a major inconvenience. Nevertheless, just like any other apps, the Messenger app is also not free from flaws. While it may be programmed to be sturdy and stable, it’s not exempted from errors. That said, it is but inevitable for the app to succumb into sudden crashes and malfunctions. Should this happens then, you have no choice but to try and do something to fix the problem and get the Messenger app back up and running smoothly again.. To give you additional inputs, I have outlined a few potential solutions you can try on as you troubleshoot. Read on and find out what to do if the Messenger app suddenly crashes or stops working on your iPhone 7 Plus.
Before going any further though, if you have other concerns with your new iPhone, make sure you drop by our iPhone 7 troubleshooting page for we have already started supporting the device. Moreover, if you need further assistance, you can always contact us by completing our iPhone issues questionnaire and providing us with sufficient information about the problem.
First solution: Force close Messenger.
Just like other apps, the Messenger app can also bump into random issues when triggered by certain factors like network errors, malware, or corrupt data. Any of these can cause the app to crash and stop working the way it should. As first solution, try to force the Messenger app to close on your iPhone 7 Plus. Here’s how you do it:
- Quickly press the Home button twice. Doing so will show up a list of your recently used apps on the Apps Preview screen.
- Navigate to and then swipe up on the Messenger app to clear it.
Clearing app recent apps running in the background can also help fix the problem. Some of these background apps can crash at some point and when this happens may cause other apps including Facebook Messenger to malfunction. Just swipe up on the app’s previews to close and remove them off from the background. After doing so, relaunch the Messenger app and test to see if it’s already working stable.
Second solution: Restart your iPhone (soft reset).
The simplest troubleshooting method when Messenger is not working properly or keeps crashing on your iPhone is a soft reset or device restart. Minor software bugs and glitches that could be causing the Messenger app to malfunction are usually fixed by a soft reset. And here’s how it’s done:
- Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds until the Slide to Power off menu appears.
- Drag the slider from left to right to turn your iPhone completely off.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button again until the Apple logo appears.
Wait for your iPhone to boot up completely then open the Messenger app to test and see if it’s now working fine and stable.
Third solution: Update Messenger or Facebook app
Updates are periodically released to keep the optimized and free from bugs. Just like iOS, apps updates also contain fix patches for certain bugs affecting the app’s functions. If the problem on your Messenger app is inflicted by some bugs, then installing an update will likely fix it.
Follow these steps to update Messenger app on your iPhone 7 Plus:
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen.
- On the App Store screen, tap the Updates icon at the bottom right.
- To update individual apps including Messenger, tap the Update button next to the app.
- To update all apps at once, tap the Update All button. This button shows up if multiple apps updates are available to install.
- Wait until the apps are successfully updated.
- Reboot your iPhone.
Then open the Messenger app to see if the update has fixed the problem.
Fourth solution: Update iPhone to the latest iOS version.
Updating the iPhone software can also be the key to fixing the problem with Messenger especially it it’s triggered by some bugs dwelling in the iPhone system. In that case, the Messenger couldn’t get to work properly because a system bug interferes with its normal routine. And the only way to get the Messenger app to stabilize is to rid of the bug. This can be accomplished by installing an iOS update. Aside from new features, fix patches are also contained in a software update and so the moment the update is implemented on the device, any bugs in the system structure will be obliterated.
To check for available update on your iPhone 7 Plus, go to Settings-> General-> Software Update menu. An update notification will pop up if an update is available.
Before you download and install an update, be sure to back up your iPhone data for safekeeping. Some updates automatically override the current settings on the iPhone so it’s possible to lose any customized options.
Fifth solution: Uninstall then reinstall Messenger.
Cache or temporary files on the Messenger app can also cause the same trouble if any of these files crashes or gets corrupted. This is the main reason why it is recommended to clear apps cache and data regularly. Unlike Android smartphones, there is no other option to clear cache and data on an iOS app but by uninstalling it. After the app is removed, you can have it re-installed. Here’s how it’s done on your iPhone 7 Plus:
- Tap and hold on any apps icon from the Home screen.
- When the icons start to jiggle, tap the X in the top corner or the Messenger app icon to uninstall it.
- Tap Delete to confirm.
After the Messenger app is successfully removed, restart your iPhone then head back to the App Store to download and install the latest version of Messenger app for your iPhone 7 Plus. This should give you a clean fresh start with Facebook Messenger.
Other options for you to consider
- Reset or restore your iPhone. While this may not be a feasible option, a system reset can still be a potential solution especially if the Messenger problem is caused by more intricate iOS errors on the iPhone. Just don’t forget to create a backup of all your important data before you start with the reset as you will lose them in the process. You may opt for a factory reset through the settings menu on your iPhone 7 Plus or using iTunes on a computer. If you would prefer the latter method, be sure to use the latest version of iTunes software to avoid system conflicts.
- Escalate the problem to Facebook Help Desk. Messenger is also included in Facebook’s scope of support. That said, you can contact the Facebook help desk for further assistance in troubleshooting problems with the Messenger app as well. Doing so will let them be aware of the issue and have them tag it among other priority problems to fix as soon as possible.
- Use other alternative messaging platforms. If all prior workarounds failed to fix the problem and the Messenger app is still crashing on your iPhone 7 Plus, then you can try other platforms to use while waiting for Facebook to rule out the required fix patch.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 7 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 7. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to read:
- Apple iPhone 7 Overheating Issue: Why does my iPhone 7 get very hot? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an unresponsive iPhone 7 (black screen, no power, no boot) [troubleshooting guide]
- What to do when iPhone 7 is showing Temperature: iPhone needs to cool down error, other issues
- What to do if faced with iPhone 7 battery drain problem after installing iOS 11, other issues
- iPhone 7 won’t turn on, screen stays black, overheating after repair, other issues