While this may be a no-brainer to tenure iOS users, it may still be a necessity to some or most iOS newbies. Performing system resets is usually needed when dealing with different types of software-related issues in smartphones. The required reset methods may vary depending on the problem type and complexity.
How to Factory reset iPhone?
Simply follow these 3 steps to fix your iPhone with ReiBoot, No data loss, FREE
- Click to download ReiBoot to your PC or MAC
- Connect your device
- Run ReiBoot to resolve the issue
Work for iPhone 13/12/11/XS/XR/S/8/7/6/5s/5
For minor software issues, system resets that don’t involve wiping of data would usually suffice but for more complex or intricate system issues, a reset that involves full system wipe out would already be necessary. Thus learning how to carry out system reset should be among the first things to do when acquiring a new device. This walkthrough demonstrates simplified steps on how to carry out various types of system resets on the new iPhone XS device. Read on for more information.
Before we move on to our tutorials, if you found this post while trying to find a solution to a problem with your device, then visit our iPhone XS Troubleshooting page for we already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. We may have already published articles that may help you fix the problem with your phone. If you can’t find any, then feel free to contact us by filling up our iPhone issues questionnaire.
How to Soft Reset an iPhone XS
A soft reset is another term for a phone restart. It is called a soft reset because it works by clearing minor software errors and refreshing the operating system of the phone. Performing a soft reset is one of the recommended first solutions when dealing with random software problems on your phone. Here’s how a soft reset is done on the new iPhone XS device:
- Press and hold the Power button and the Volume Up button on the side of your iPhone XS.
- Release the buttons when the Slide to Power Off button appears. Doing so will turn off the phone.
- After about 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button on the side of your phone until it restarts.
- If prompted, enter your PIN or passcode then tap OK to access the Home screen and start using your phone again.
A soft reset does not affect any information saved on the internal memory of the phone. That said, creating backup won’t be necessary.
How to Force Restart an iPhone XS
An alternative method to restart a frozen iPhone is a force restart. As the name implies, it forces the phone to shutdown and then reboot. This is usually needed when your iPhone screen gets stuck or not responding to touches. A force restart on the iPhone XS is carried out this way:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Power button on the side of the phone and then release when the Apple logo appears.
Similar to a soft reset, a force restart does not affect any saved data on the phone memory. That said, you don’t have to worry of losing any personal information in the process.
How to Reset all settings on iPhone XS
Resetting all settings on your iPhone will simply delete all customized settings and does not affect critical data stored on the internal memory. It also does not erase downloaded contents and files so you still can use your apps afterward. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to and then tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset all settings.
- If prompted, enter the correct passcode for your phone.
- Then tap the option to confirm all settings reset.
Your iPhone should reboot after the reset but if it doesn’t, you need to trigger it to restart. After it restarts, default settings and original configurations are restored on your iPhone. By then you can start enabling necessary features to use them again.
How to Reset network settings on iPhone XS
A network settings reset is usually carried out when dealing with network connectivity issues affecting Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and other network-related services of your phone. It basically clears current network settings on the phone and then restores the default network configuration. Any invalid settings that caused network conflicts will then be cleared in the process. Like the previous resets, resetting network settings does not result to data as it will not affect any saved data on the phone. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap to open the Settings app from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to and then tap Reset.
- Tap to select Reset network settings style=”font-weight: 400;”> option.
- Enter your device passcode when asked.
- Then tap the option to confirm network settings reset.
Wait for the phone to finish resetting and restoring the default network options. Once the reset is finished, your iPhone restarts by itself. You will need to set up and reconnect to your Wi-Fi network so that you can use your iPhone XS internet again.
How to Factory Reset an iPhone XS through Settings
A factory reset is usually regarded among the last reset option when dealing with recurring software problems on the phone. Unlike the previous resets, a factory reset wipes everything from your iPhone system including personal information saved on the internal memory of the phone. In other words, it results data loss. Therefore, creating a backup is highly recommended beforehand. A faster way to perform a factory reset is through the settings menu. This however can only be done when your iPhone screen is responsive. Here’s how it’s done:
- Go to the Home screen then tap Settings.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Erase all content and settings.
- Enter your device passcode to continue.
- Then tap the option to confirm factory reset.
After the reset, your iPhone will restart automatically and then loads the factory default settings. By then you can proceed with the initial setup process to set up your phone as new.
How to Factory Reset an iPhone XS through iTunes
Another way to perform a factory reset on an iPhone is using iTunes. In this method, the use of a computer is required. A Windows PC or Mac computer will do for as long as it runs on a later or latest operating system and has the latest iTunes version installed. Here’s how to get started with a factory reset on the iPhone XS using iTunes:
- Plug in your iPhone XS to your computer’s USB port using the supplied USB cable or Lightning cable.
- Then open iTunes on your computer.
- When your iPhone XS is recognized in iTunes, click your iPhone icon on the left side of iTunes menu.
- Click the Restore button. You can choose to Back Up your important files from the iPhone to your computer drive.
- If prompted with iTunes to Restore the iPhone and wipe all data and settings from the device, click the Restore button to confirm.
- Then wait for iTunes to erase then download and restore the software for your iPhone. To start fresh and load factory settings, choose the option to Set Up as a New iPhone then follow the initial setup wizard to complete the process.
Do not unplug your iPhone from the computer during the process to avoid data corruption from interrupted or incomplete system reset. You will know when the reset is finished if iTunes will ask if you want to restore from backup or set up your device as new.
In case you’ll encounter some troubles when attempting to perform a system reset on your iPhone XS, visit our Troubleshooting page for some walkthroughs and potential solutions.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XS smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XS. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.