“No service, SOS only, Searching…” are the usual labels that appear on the status bar of an iPhone whenever it fails to establish network signal. When this happens, you won’t be able to make or receive phone calls, SMS/text messages, or connect to the Internet through cellular data. Given that it affects the core functions of your iPhone, finding quick solution is crucial.
However, there is no definite solution to network-related problems, thus you will need to troubleshoot until you find the most effective workaround. Outlined below are suggested workarounds to deal with a relevant issue on the new iPhone XS Max handset. Feel free to refer to these walkthrough whenever you find the need to troubleshoot your iPhone XS Max network signal that is constantly dropping or disconnecting.
Now, before anything else, if you have other issues with your phone, make sure you drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already provided solutions to hundreds of problems reported by our readers. Odds are that we may have already provided a solution to the problem you currently have so try to find issues that are similar with yours on that page and feel free to use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work or if you need further assistance, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
How to troubleshoot iPhone XS Max that keeps losing signal?
Before troubleshooting, verify your account status with your carrier and make sure it’s not suspended. Some carriers automatically suspend customers’ accounts for various reasons including suspected fraudulent activities or unsettled overdue bills. So be sure to rule that out first. If nothing is wrong with your account and yet you’re still experiencing signal drops or getting No service on your iPhone XS Max, then it’s time to look into your iPhone software.
First solution: Reboot your iPhone XS Max (Soft reset).
Random signal drops are usually inflicted by random network glitches on the phone system. And the simple solution to this is a soft reset or restart on the phone. Aside from clearing junk files from the internal memory, a soft reset also fixes minor software errors on the phone including those that are affecting the network functions. It’s a safe process to begin with since it doesn’t affect any information stored on the phone memory. And here’s how it’s done:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume button for a few seconds and then release when the Slide to Power Off menu.
- Drag the slider to the right to turn your iPhone completely off.
- After 30 seconds, press the Side/Power button again until you see the Apple logo and then release.
You can also do the alternative method by going to Settings-> General-> Shut Down menu. This option is available since the iOS 11 platform and you can use it to turn off your iPhone from the settings menu.
Second solution: Update carrier settings on your iPhone XS Max.
Carrier settings update are updates rolled out by your carrier to maintain and enhanced your iPhone’s cellular network connectivity and performance. If your iPhone can connect to Wi-Fi internet, check for a carrier settings update to download and install. Here’s how:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Tap About.
Stay on this page for a few seconds. A new screen should pop up if an update is available. To update your carrier settings, simply follow the onscreen instructions.
Downloading the carrier settings for your new carrier is necessary if you insert a new SIM card into your iPhone XS Max.
Third solution: Install the latest iOS update available for your iPhone XS Max.
Updating your iPhone software to the latest iOS version available may also fix the problem if it’s attributed to some random bugs affecting the network functions of your iPhone. Apple typically rolls out periodic iOS updates to add new features or system enhancements, and likewise to offer bug fixes. To manually check for new iOS update on your iPhone XS Max, refer to these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Tap Software Update.
Fourth solution: Check and manage cellular settings on your iPhone XS Max.
Making some adjustments to your phone’s cellular settings can also help like restarting your iPhone’s cellular data options or modifying your carrier selection. So here’s what you can try next:
- Tap Settings from then Home screen.
- Select Cellular Data.
Make sure that the cellular data switch turned on. If the switch is turned on already, then turn it off and on again.
Also consider turning automatic carrier selection off and select network carrier manually.
- To do this, go to Settings-> Carriers menu, then select network carrier from the given options.
Restart your iPhone XS Max after making these changes then see if that fixes the signal problem. If not, then move on and try other applicable solutions.
Fifth solution: Reset network settings on your iPhone XS Max.
Most network issues on the iPhone that persist after performing the previous methods are dealt with by resetting the network settings. This reset will erase your current network settings and then restores the default or original network configuration on the phone. This therefore clears any network settings errors that may have caused unstable signal or frequent network drops. Be sure to take note of your Wi-Fi passwords because your Wi-Fi networks will also be deleted in the process and so you need to reconnect afterwards.
- Tap on Settings from the Home screen.
- Next, tap General.
- Scroll down to and then tap Reset to continue.
- Select the option to Reset Network Settings.
- If prompted, enter the correct passcode for your device.
- Then tap the option to confirm network settings reset.
When the reset is finished, your iPhone reboots by itself. Allow it to boot up and then reconnect to Wi-Fi or cellular data. Network problems attributed to network settings errors or system issues including signal drops should be gone by now.
If your iPhone XS Max is still showing the same symptom and its network signal is still dropping, then you’re most likely dealing with a more complex network problem or worst, hardware damage.
- Remove and reinstall your SIM card. Problems like this can also be attributed to the SIM card. And a quick solution is to remove and reinstall the SIM card on your phone. Before removing the SIM card, be sure to turn off your device. This is recommended to prevent causing any sort of damage to both hardware and software. Also check your SIM card for any trace of liquid damage. If you suspect that the SIM card is damaged, ask your network service provider/carrier for a new SIM card replacement that is provisioned with the same services indicated in your current plan.
- Restore your iPhone XS Max in iTunes. The last possible solution to try if the problem continues is an iOS restore. You’re likely dealing with a complex network error, which requires more advanced solution. In that case, restoring your iPhone XS Max in recovery mode or performing a DFU mode restore can be regarded among the last-ditch solutions. And you will need to use iTunes (preferably the latest version) on a Windows or Mac computer to get these done.
- Service/Repair. This can be regarded a hardware issue if it’s not resolved after applying prior workarounds, hence your iPhone needs service. Visit the nearest Apple-authorized service center in your place and ask an iPhone technician to examine your device. Don’t forget to avail for service warranty.
If none of that helps, contact your network service provider to check for temporary outages that may be affecting network services in your area. Also make sure that your device isn’t restricted from getting cellular services and that it’s set up with the correct data plan. Otherwise, escalate the problem to Apple Support for further assistance and recommendations.
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XS Max that won’t pair or connect to third-party Bluetooth device [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XS Max that has no Internet access even if connected to Wi-Fi network [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix an iPhone XS Max with blurry camera issue
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XS Max smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XS Max. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.