There are two main options for you to connect to the Internet with your new iPhone 8 Plus handset. You can activate either Cellular Data or Wi-Fi connectivity feature on your device and then go online. To avoid incurring extra charges for exceeding your data limit, it is recommended to use Wi-Fi instead. Otherwise, you may go for cellular data usage as you desire. Just be sure to contact your carrier beforehand to verify terms and conditions of using cellular data on your account.
This post explicated the basics in using the iPhone 8 Plus Wi-Fi connectivity features including the ways on how to set up a Wi-Fi network, how to scan and connect to a secure and hidden Wi-Fi network on your new iOS device. Feel free to refer to this content whenever you need help about how to set up and manage Wi-Fi settings on your Apple iPhone 8 Plus.
How To Connect iPhone 8 Plus To A Wi-Fi Network
How to enable Wi-Fi on your iPhone 8 Plus
There are different ways for you to access Wi-Fi settings on your iPhone. You can access and manage these settings through the Control Center or Settings menu on your iPhone .
To access Wi-Fi using the Control Center, slide your finger up from the bottom of any screen. Doing so will launch the Control Center. Locate the Wi-Fi icon on the Control Center and then tap on the icon to toggle Wi-Fi on or off. In this case, you will need to toggle the Wi-Fi icon to enable and use Wi-Fi connectivity on your iPhone 8.
Alternatively, you can navigate to your iPhone Settings menu to enable, scan and connect or join to a Wi-Fi network on your iPhone. Here’s how:
- Navigate to the Home screen.
- Tap Settings to open the Settings menu and manage options.
- Tap Wi-Fi to configure wireless network.
- Tap the Wi-Fi slider to turn the feature On. Doing so will allow your iPhone to automatically scan for available Wi-Fi networks to connect to.
- Scroll to and tap to connect to your preferred wireless network.
- If necessary, enter the correct password.
- Tap Join.
Wait until your iPhone successfully is connected to the network. You will know if you have successfully joined the network if you see a blue checkmark next to the network name and the Wi-Fi signal strength indicator in the upper-left corner of your iPhone screen is active. To check your Internet connection, try to open a browser and navigate to a website to see if it can connect.
How to connect your iPhone 8 Plus to a secure Wi-Fi network?
As the name implies, secure Wi-Fi networks are password-protected. An indicator that a wireless network is secured is the lock icon shown next to the network name. In order to connect to a secure network, you will need to enter the correct password. Here’s how to connect to a secure Wi-Fi network on your new iPhone:
- Tap Settings on your Home screen.
- Tap Wi-Fi. Make sure Wi-Fi is enabled or turned on.
- Tap the name of the secure Wi-Fi network you want to connect to.
- Enter the correct password for the network.
- Tap Join.
If you cannot tap Join, it means that the password you entered is incorrect. Try to enter the correct password again or contact the network administrator for further assistance.
After you have successfully joined the network, you will see a checkmark next to the network name and the Wi-Fi signal strength indicator is shown in the upper-left side of your screen.
How to connect to a hidden network on your iPhone 8 Plus
Hidden networks will not be shown in your list of available networks. Thus if you wish to connect to a hidden network, you need to know exactly the name of the network and the password (if password-protected). So here’s how to connect to a hidden network on your new iPhone:
- Navigate to your Home screen and then tap Settings.
- Tap Wi-Fi and make sure Wi-Fi is turned on.
- Tap Other under the Choose a Network section.
- Enter the exact name of the wireless network you want to join.
- Tap Security.
- Select the security type. By default, the security type is set to WPA2 Personal (AES). It is by far the strongest form of security offered by Wi-Fi products and is recommended for all uses. If you are not certain of which security type is used, contact your network administrator or service provider for further assistance.
- Tap Other Network to go back to the previous screen.
- Enter the network password in the Password field.
- Tap Join.
Wait for your device to verify your network information. Once you have successfully joined the network, you will see a checkmark next to the network name and the Wi-Fi signal strength indicator will show up in the upper-left side of your screen.
How to forget a wireless network on your iPhone 8 Plus
If you are having trouble connecting to Wi-Fi on your new iPhone after making changes to your network settings, you can either revert the changes back to the previous configuration. However, if you cannot remember exactly about which settings or options have been modified and caused you this trouble, then you can just forget the network instead and the set it up again. All your current network settings will be deleted in the process. To forget or delete wireless networks on your new iPhone, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Home screen.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap the blue “i” or information icon right next to the Wi-Fi network you want to delete or forget.
- Tap the option to Forget this Network. If prompted, tap Delete this network to confirm action.
Wait until the network has been successfully deleted then reboot your iPhone. After the reboot, turn on Wi-Fi and set up your wireless network again.
In case you will encounter problems when trying to connect to a wireless network on your iPhone 8 Plus, try to power cycle (reboot) your modem or wireless router, restart your iPhone and then try to connect to Wi-Fi on again. If you still cannot connect to Wi-Fi, try other recommended solutions in troubleshooting Wi-Fi connectivity issues on your iPhone. Forgetting or removing the Wi-Fi settings from your device may also be helpful. Doing so will prevent your device from trying to connect to your network using the old configuration.
Keep posted for our next set of tutorials on network connectivity features of the new Apple iPhone 8 Plus smartphone or check out our troubleshooting page to find out other possible solutions and workarounds to deal with various types of network issues on an iPhone.