Do you have an Instagram that keeps crashing and is preventing you to enjoy its features such as sharing photos or reacting to your followed friends and celebrities? Worry no more as you can find simple yet effective solutions that could the problem by reading further.
Instagram started as a photo editing app but has evolved into one of the most used social media apps. It allows you to share your photos and post comments to your peers. But it recently faced some issues on iPhone XS Max users. Some reported that Instagram is constantly crashing.
To help out those affected users, I’ve mapped out some basic workarounds that could cure the problem. If you happen to be one of those iPhone XS Max users with Instagram that keeps crashing, find out to rectify the issue below.
Also read: Common fixes to different Apps that keep crashing on iPhone XS Max after iOS 13.2 update [An Overview]
Troubleshoot iPhone XS Max with Instagram that keeps crashing
Occurrence of different issues after a software update may seem normal these days as random bugs kept on affecting the phone’s performance. This could either affect the apps or some features on your device. To cure software-related issues like Instagram that keeps crashing on iPhone XS Max, follow the steps laid out below.
First solution: Quit all background apps then reboot your iPhone XS Max
Closing all background apps on your iPhone XS Max may help in removing glitches that may cause certain apps to malfunction like Instagram that keeps crashing. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Swipe your finger up and then pause from the Home screen.
- Swipe left or right to navigate through the apps preview.
- Then swipe up on each app’s preview to close individual background apps.
Restarting the device has been proven effective in removing software glitches that may attack the system after installing an update. Doing so will remove conflicts on the Instagram app and improve system stability by applying unimplemented changes from the recent software update. You can perform a soft reset to reboot your iPhone XS Max with these steps:
- Press and hold the Power/Side button and either of the Volume buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release both buttons once Slide to Power off prompt appears on the screen.
- Drag the Power off slider to the right to turn off your phone.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power/Side button again until you see the Apple logo.
Performing a force restart is another way for you to reboot your device. It provides the same benefits as the soft reset. This can also further close erratic apps that’s dwelling on your phone and affecting normal apps to function properly. Here’s how it’s done:
- Press and release the Volume Up button quickly.
- Press and release the Volume Down button quickly.
- Lastly, press and hold the Side button for a few seconds until you see the Apple logo.
After rebooting your device, relaunch the Instagram app and monitor if it still crashes or not anymore.
Second solution: Clear app cache on your iPhone XS Max
Removing old cache files on your phone’s app will allow newer files to be stored and also remove erratic data from the old ones. This process has been proven effective in dealing with issues caused by erratic apps. If the Instagram that keeps crashing has been related to rogue cache data, then this process should help you out. To perform this method, execute these steps carefully:
- Access Settings from the Home screen.
- Select General.
- Tap on iPhone Storage.
- Tap on Manage Storage.
- Select a file in Documents and Data.
- Drag unwanted files to the left and click on Delete.
- Tap on Edit, then select Delete All option to wipe out all of the app’s data.
You may reboot your device after clearing the app cache to refresh the system and stabilize its performance.
Third solution: Check and install pending app updates on your iPhone XS Max
Aside from clearing the app’s cache, updating your apps can also remove in-app bugs and may remove conflicts on the Instagram app. This might enhance your phone’s performance and could fix the app that keeps crashing. Here’s how you can update the apps on your iPhone XS Max:
- From the Home screen, tap on App Store to open it.
- Tap on Today tab at the bottom.
- Then tap on the user profile icon on the top right corner of the screen.
- You should see the account details.
- Scroll down to the Available Updates section.
- Tap on Update next to the app to update individual apps.
- Tap on Update All to update all apps simultaneously.
After installing all app updates, reboot your device to implement necessary changes and refresh the phone’s system.
Fourth solution: Reset network settings to fix Instagram that keeps crashing
If the previous methods fail in fixing the problem, then you there might be some incorrect network settings that’s causing the error. Invalid or incorrect network settings could affect online app performance like Instagram and may cause it to keep on crashing. Performing reset network settings will remove all customized network settings including those affected with iOS overrides and revert them to their default values and options. If you wish to try your luck, here’s how:
- Access Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to and then select Reset.
- Tap the Reset Network Settings option.
- Enter your device passcode once prompted.
- Then tap to confirm network settings reset.
Automatic reboot will be initiated by your device once the reset is completed. After the reboot process, open Instagram and use it as normal to see if the issue has been fixed.
Fifth solution: Uninstall then reinstall Instagram app on your iPhone XS Max
Your last resort that could help in fixing the Instagram problem is to uninstall then reinstall the app. If the app got corrupted due to random bugs inflicted by the recent software update, it might not be fixable with the aforementioned solutions and you’ll need to get a new one. Doing so allows you to install it again and remove those glitches that might be affecting the app to provide its full potential. To execute this method, refer to the process below:
- From the Home screen, tap and hold on an app icon until the icons start jiggling.
- Tap the X on the app you want to delete.
- Select Delete to confirm the deletion of the selected app.
- Perform a restart on your iPhone.
- After the reboot process is done, open the App store from the Home screen.
- Tap on your profile icon then tap on Purchased.
- Tap the Not on This iPhone tab.
- Select the app that you want to reinstall on your device.
- If you don’t see the app from the selected tab, try switching to All tab.
After installing the app on your device, ensure that your phone is getting proper internet connection then open Instagram to verify if the issue has been rectified.
Still have an Instagram that keeps crashing on your iPhone XS Max
Advanced solutions such as factory reset, recovery mode restore or DFU mode restore may do the trick if the preceding procedures failed in fixing the problem. They could handle issues caused by complex system error and giving them a try might help you. It will wipe out the important files on your device but you can always create backups via iTunes or iCloud so you can restore them after the process.
Reporting this matter to both Instagram app support and Apple support could be beneficial in getting a long term fix for the concern. They can provide you with additional information as well as official recommendations on how to fix Instagram that keeps crashing on iPhone XS Max.