Facebook is a popular social media platform available on both Android and iOS devices. Many people utilize the platform for personal and business purposes, particularly for marketing. The fact that billions of people are using Facebook worldwide is good enough reason for the Facebook app developers to do any means to make the platform always up and running. But despite the substantial effort, random downtimes and Facebook app problems still occur. One of the most common complaints raised by iPhone owners when using Facebook app is on loading errors. Other people are also complaining about Facebook app that won’t open or keeps crashing on their respective iOS devices. If ever you’ve landed into this page while searching for additional inputs on how to deal with these issues, I’ve mapped a few simple, yet effective solutions to various types of Facebook app problems. Feel free to refer to this troubleshooting guide to deal with a problem on Facebook app that won’t open or doesn’t load up on your iPhone 5.
Before we proceed, if you’re looking for a solution to a problem with your phone, try to browse through our troubleshooting pages to see if we support your device. If your phone is in the list of our supported devices, then go to the troubleshooting page and look for similar problems. Feel free to use our solutions and workarounds. Don’t worry it’s free. But if you still need our help, then fill up our iOS issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
Troubleshooting Facebook app that won’t open on your iPhone 5
Network problems, device settings, minor firmware crashes, in-app bugs and glitches as well as faulty updates are usually the main culprits. Performing the following solutions can help eliminate each of these factors.
Before moving on, check your Internet connection. Online apps like Facebook require a fast and stable Internet access for them to work as intended. Slow internet connection, intermittent or Wi-Fi drops as well as no connectivity could therefore be the main reason why Facebook won’t work on your iPhone. To check your internet connection, open a browser app then try navigating to different websites. If there’s no problem loading websites, then that means there’s no problem with the Internet. Thus, you may proceed and determine the underlying cause.
First solution: Clear out background apps and restart Facebook app.
Apps that are left suspended or running in the background for long could eventually crash and gets corrupted. When this happens, other apps and services could also be adversely affected. To make sure this isn’t halting Facebook app from loading or working properly on your phone, clear out all background apps including Facebook. Here’s how:
- Double press the Home key to launch the recent apps screen. On this screen, you will see the previews of the apps you’ve recently used but not closed.
- Find the Facebook app preview.
- Swipe up on the Facebook app preview to close the app.
- Do the same to clear all other background apps, to prevent any of them from messing up with the Facebook application.
After clearing all background apps, retry launching Facebook and see how it works. If it still won’t open, then something else must be halting it from working. With that said, continue troubleshooting.
Second solution: Restart the phone (soft reset).
The next factors you should rule out are minor software errors and system glitches. Errors like this can occur anytime and when this happens, various symptoms could arise. To eliminate minor software glitches that caused Facebook app to stop working, soft reset or reboot your iPhone with these steps:
- Press and hold down the Power (Sleep/Wake) button on the top of the phone for a few seconds.
- Release the button when the Power Off slider appears. The iPhone will then shut down.
- After a few seconds, press and hold the Power (Sleep/Wake) button until the Apple logo appears and then release the button.
Performing a soft reset is also a handy tweak to clear out junk files and temporary data that are cached on your phone’s internal memory and system folders. It doesn’t affect any saved information so backing up files won’t be necessary.
Third solution: Install app updates, if available.
Apps updates may also embed fix patches that would eliminate in-app bugs and malwares that caused apps to act up. If you haven’t configured your apps to auto-update, chances are that you’ve missed some critical updates for Facebook and so the app has become more susceptible to errors. If this is the case, you can manually install pending app updates via App Store. Just follow these steps:
- Tap to open the App Store from your Home screen.
- From the App Store screen, scroll down to the bottom then tap the Updates tab. Doing so will open a new screen containing a list of apps with pending updates.
- To update individual apps including Facebook, tap the Update button next to the name of the application.
- To update all apps at once, tap the Update All button on the upper-right side.
Your device must have Internet connection, sufficient storage space and battery life to complete the update installation process.
After installing all app updates, reboot the phone to refresh the system and to save the recent software changes.
Fourth solution: Disable app restrictions on your phone.
Another possible reason as to why Facebook won’t open on your iPhone is because restrictions are turned on. One of the new iOS features that are designed to offer more privacy to users is the so-called Content & Privacy Restrictions. When enabled, this feature can halt certain apps and processes. To make sure that this isn’t stopping Facebook from loading up and working on your iPhone, check and manage restriction settings with these steps:
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Tap Screen Time.
- Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- If prompted, enter the correct four-digit passcode and then confirm.
- Tap the switch next to Content & Privacy to turn the feature OFF.
Reboot your iPhone after making necessary changes, and then retry loading Facebook while restrictions are disabled on your phone.
Fifth solution: Reinstall Facebook app on your phone.
The app might have been totally corrupted and is no longer functional. If this is what happens to your iPhone 5 Facebook app, then you will need to delete the corrupted app and reinstall it through the App Store. Here’s how:
- Go to the Home screen to get started.
- Tap and hold down any app icon until all apps start to shake.
- Tap the X on the top-left corner of the Facebook app icon.
- Then tap Delete to confirm that you want to delete the app.
- Tap anywhere on the screen to stop the app icons from shaking.
After deleting Facebook app, open the App Store and then find the latest version of the Facebook app to download and install on your device. Here’s how:
- Open the App Store app on your phone.
- Type Facebook app or Facebook into the search field then tap the Search (magnifying glass) icon.
- Select the correct Facebook app version for your iPhone.
- Then tap the Cloud icon or Download button to start downloading the application.
Restart your iPhone after installing Facebook and then try to see if the problem is fixed. If the newly installed Facebook app still won’t load, something on the iPhone system if not network connection is the underlying cause.
Sixth solution: Reset network settings to fix Facebook app that won’t open on your iPhone.
To clear out network-related errors that caused conflicts to online apps like Facebook, try to reset network settings on your iPhone. This will erase all your current network settings and configurations including saved Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth connections. APNs and other relevant information are likewise eliminated along with their associated errors. As a result, you will be disconnected from your Wi-Fi network as all network settings are restored to the original values. If you wish to continue, then follow these steps to reset network settings on your iPhone:
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Scroll to and tap General.
- Tap on Reset.
- Select the option to Reset network settings.
- Enter your passcode if prompted.
- Tap to confirm that you want to reset network settings on your phone.
Wait for the network reset process to complete. When it’s done, your iPhone restarts and then loads up the default network configurations. To get back online and use online apps and services, you need to set up your Wi-Fi network as new and then reconnect. Be sure to enter the correct Wi-Fi network password to connect to the Internet successfully. Then try to see if Facebook app is already working on your iPhone.
Does your iPhone 5 Facebook still won’t open?
The above solutions are usually enough to eliminate software-related factors that might have prevented the Facebook app from loading or working properly on your iPhone 5. But given that the problem isn’t fixed up to this point, the underlying cause is likely not on your end. There might be some temporary issues with the network or Facebook server. At this point, try to access the main Facebook site through a web browser. If you can access your Facebook account through Facebook’s website, then you must be dealing with complex in-app problems that require more advanced solutions. For further assistance in performing more in-depth troubleshooting with Facebook app, you can ask inputs from the Facebook Support team or from expert users from the Facebook community page.
If this happens to be a post-update issue like when the Facebook app started to fail loading from an iOS update, then a dedicated fix patch might be needed. You can escalate the problem to Apple Support in this case.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our troubleshooting page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.