Almost all smartphone users have the Facebook app installed on their respective devices. Needless to say, checking on Facebook news feed is now becoming part of everyone’s daily routine. Hence, it would surely cause a lot of trouble to many people if Facebook app suddenly doesn’t work as intended. Though it’s very seldom will you hear of Facebook being down, it’s not impossible to happen and in fact, already did.
Fortunately, the transpiring symptoms are only minor and can easily be remedied by some tweaks. Lined up below are suggested workarounds that are used to deal with a problem with Facebook app, which for some reason, keeps crashing or not loading properly on the new iPhone XR. Read further for more detailed solutions.
If however, you are looking for a solution to a different problem, drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already addressed the most common issues with this phone. Find problems that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work for you or if you need more help, then feel free to contact us through our iPhone issues questionnaire.
How to troubleshoot iPhone XR with Facebook app that keeps crashing
Before troubleshooting, check your Internet connection. Note that Facebook is an online application, which means that your iPhone must have strong and stable access to the Internet for the app to work as expected. Slow browsing, intermittent Wi-Fi internet, or no Internet connection at all are among the usual hindrances, so be sure to check on that first. To rule out account-related issues and errors, access your Facebook account through the main website and try logging into your account. If everything works perfectly fine and you don’t have any trouble using Facebook through website/browser, then the problem is most likely isolated to the Facebook app on your iPhone XR. At this point, you may begin to troubleshoot the app and your iPhone software to identify and resolve the underlying cause.
First solution: Quit the app then restart.
Any app will encounter random glitches regardless of how sturdy it is. And the Facebook app is no exception. Should this be just a random glitch, ending the app will likely restore its normal working state. If you’ve previously opened the app, then it could still be running or suspended among other background apps for too long and possibly had crashed. So here’s what you can try doing first:
- From the Home screen, swipe your finger up and then pause.
- Swipe right or left to navigate through apps preview.
- Then swipe up on the Facebook app preview to close it.
- If you see other suspended apps, you can clear them all by swiping up on each app preview.
Once you’re done clearing Facebook and other background apps, launch Facebook app on your iPhone XR again then see if it’s already working.
Second solution: Reboot the phone (soft reset).
If the app is still crashing or not loading properly, then it may be due to some minor software errors on the phone. To rule this out, performing a soft reset or restart on the phone can help. Here’s how it’s done:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume Up or Down buttons simultaneously and then release both buttons when the Slide to Power Off menu appears.
- Drag the power off slider to the right to turn off your iPhone completely.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Side/Power button again until the Apple logo appears.
Allow your phone to finish booting up and then launch Facebook app and see if the problem is gone. If it’s still crashing or not loading as expected, try applying the next method.
Third solution: Update Facebook app.
Keeping apps up-to-date is recommended to ensure that it’s always performing at its optimum level. Like iOS updates, app updates not only bring in new features but also offer fix patches to address existing app problems inflicted by random bugs and malwares. If you think you’ve missed some important updates for Facebook or other apps on your iPhone XR, then you can manually check with these steps:
- Tap to open the App Store from your Home screen.
- Scroll down to and then tap the Updates section. A list of apps with pending updates then shows up.
- Find Facebook app and then tap the Update button next to it.
- If you see other pending app updates, tap the Update All button on the upper-right side of the screen to update all apps simultaneously.
Your phone must have stable Internet connection, ample of storage space and battery life to ensure successful updating of all your apps.
Fourth solution: Reinstall Facebook app on your iPhone XR.
If the app is still showing the same symptoms after applying the previous workarounds, then there’s a higher chance that it has been corrupted. In that case, the app will likely no longer be able to work unless it’s reinstalled. But this also means the need to delete the problematic app from your phone beforehand. Should you wish to take chances in this method, then here’s what you can try doing next:
- From the Home screen, tap and hold on an app icon until the icons start jiggling.
- Tap the X on the Facebook app icon.
- Read the warning prompt, and then select Delete to confirm deletion of the app.
- Reboot your iPhone XR (soft reset) after deleting Facebook app.
- Then open the App Store.
- Search for and select Facebook app from the App Store search results.
- Tap the Cloud icon or Get button to download and reinstall the app on your iPhone.
Follow the rest of the onscreen commands to complete the app installation. Once the app is successfully installed, reboot/soft reset your iPhone XR to apply all recent app changes and to refresh the internal memory.
Fifth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone XR.
Any of the above procedures will likely be able to fix the problem if minor app glitches or software errors are to blame. If you’ve already tried all prior methods but to no avail, system errors like those from invalid settings or customized options on the phone are likely inflicting trouble with the Facebook app. To rule this out, try these steps to wipe all customized settings and restore the default options and original configuration on your iPhone XR:
- From the Home screen, tap on Settings.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Reset all settings.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode.
- Then tap the option to confirm all settings reset.
After the reset, your iPhone should reboot automatically and then loads the default options. To use online apps and services including Facebook, turn on Wi-Fi and then reconnect to your Wi-Fi network. Once you’re back online, launch Facebook and see if the problem is gone. If it’s still not, then the problem is likely not on your end but with the Facebook server.
Seek more help
Report the problem to Facebook Support or visit Facebook Help Center to raise your concern and gather inputs from the support team and community members. There may be some advanced settings from the Facebook app or your Facebook account that needs to be reconfigured for the app to work smoothly on the iPhone XR platform. If Facebook started to act up after installing a new iOS update and it persisted after exhausting all possible solutions, then you can escalate the problem to Apple Support for further assistance. In that case, the problem could be due to an update bug that needs a fix patch.
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XR touchscreen that’s responding very slowly, delayed touchscreen response issue [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix intermittent charging issue on your Apple iPhone XR, wireless charging interference [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Apple iPhone XR alarm system that is not working, sound alerts for alarm doesn’t work [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Bluetooth problems on Apple iPhone XR, won’t pair with Bluetooth accessory [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to fix Apple iPhone XR apps that keep freezing, closing randomly [Troubleshooting Guide]
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XR smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XR. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.