Have you experienced trying to update your iPhone using iTunes and getting error “iTunes has an invalid signature’? This is related to the Digital signatures. These are used to authenticate users to protect them from viruses whenever they try to download an application or program. In this case, an error message appears when your computer is not able to detect the digital signature. It may seem that Windows are having some technical difficulties with iTunes update and showing the error message every single time you are trying to update a software.
You will find below a few potential solutions that may help resolve error message ‘Itune has an invalid signature”, read on.
HOW TO FIX ERROR “iTUNES HAS AN INVALID SIGNATURE”
SOLUTION 1: Repair Apple Software Update
There is a possibility that an Apple Software Update might have been corrupted. It is the main application that basically manages all updates for all apps installed.
Repairing Apple Software Update is perhaps the easiest way to fix this issue and this solution only repairs problems that are only related to Apple Software Update.
How to repair Apple Software Update, follow the steps below:
- On your windows computer, press Windows + R. (R means RUN)
- On the ‘Open” space, type in appwiz.cpl then press Enter
- Choose Apple Software Update from the list of options
- Right click on Apple Software Update and click on the Repair option
- Windows will start the repair.
- Manually restart your computer by turning it OFF and then back ON.
- Try to check if error message has been resolved.
SOLUTION 2: Change Security Settings
Ideally, all downloads from applications are being screened and checked by Windows just before they are downloaded. This is where Digital Signatures (As mentioned above) are being verified and carefully checked. The download will not proceed when there is something wrong with the digital signature, say outdated or invalid, causing the error message to pop up.
You may need to change the security settings to help fix the problem, wherein downloading an application is possible even when digital signatures are invalid.
One important thing to remember though is that there is a possibility that when changing the security settings to allow downloads even when digital signature is invalid poses a threat to your computer since this means that you are allowing all downloads without passing through verifications and checks. Make sure to change the security settings back to prevent problems to arise later on.
Here’s how to change security settings:
- On your windows computer, press Windows + R (Run).
- Type in inetcpl.cpl then press Enter
- In the internet options category, click on the Advanced tab
- Scroll down from the list of options and click on Security
- Put a check on the option ‘Allow Software to run or install even if the signature is invalid’
- Click on Apply to confirm action and to save the changes made.
- Restart your personal computer
- Once your computer has completely restarted, open iTunes, log into your account.
- Now click on ‘Help’ tab
- Then click on ‘Check for Updates” to see if the solution mentioned resolved the issue.
Solution 3: Manually download the update
If after the solutions mentioned above, and still the issue still persist you may to consider manually downloading the software update from the official website of Apple. To be able to do this, iTunes should be uninstalled and install a new version. Also make sure to have a backup of all data and have your login details come in handy to be used later on.
How to manually download the update:
- Press Windows +R (Run)
- Type in app.wiz.cpl on the dialogue box, then press Enter
- A list of all the programs installed on your computer will appear. Uninstall these programs in this particular order below:
- Apple Software Update
- Apple Mobile Support
- Apple Application Support 32-bit
- Apple Application Support 64-bit
5. There are some instances wherein iTunes may not be completely uninstalled, wherein some files may be left which can cause problems with the newer version later on. Make sure to completely delete those files by.
- Press Windows + R
- On the dialogue box, type in %programsfiles5
- Press Enter
- Delete folders if they even exists:
6. Next, head over to ‘Common Files’ Then Apple
7. Now delete the folders if they exist:
- Mobile Device Support
- Apple Application Support
Note: if you are on a 64-bit windows running on your computer, head over to Program Files (x86) and perform the steps above to delete the program and common files.
8. To completely remove Apple components from your computer, make sure to Empty your Recycle Bin
9. Install the latest version of iTunes on the website to your computer.
- Go to Apple’s Official Website
- Download the latest iTunes
- Make sure to check the correct version. I.e. choose 32-bit if you are running on a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit if you are running on a 64-bit operating system
- Once the download is complete, right click and select Run as Administrator.
- For installation to complete, just follow the instructions on-screen.
Having Issues with your iPhone or iPad? Feel free to contact us using this form. We’’ll try to help