Instagram is continually releasing new versions of its app with interface changes, bug fixes, and features. Sometimes a recent Instagram update may negatively impact your experience, so downgrading to an older working version can help. While not straightforward, it is possible to downgrade and install previous versions of Instagram on an iPhone.
Understanding App Downgrading
Typically, apps can only be updated to newer versions through the App Store. However, downgrading involves:
– Using app archives or IPA files to obtain old app versions.
– Utilizing enterprise signing certificates to allow installation.
– Bypassing the App Store limitations to revert.
Downgrading requires some technical work compared to updating but delivers the stability of a proven older app release.
Why Downgrade App?
App downgrading is the process of installing an older version of an app on your device. This can be done for various reasons, such as if you’re experiencing problems with the latest version of the app or if you want to restore an app to a previous version you liked better.
You’ll need to find the older version of the app’s APK file to downgrade an app. APK files are the installation files for Android apps, and they can be found online. Once you have the APK file, you can install it on your device using a file manager app.
Here are some of the reasons why you might need to downgrade an app:
- The latest version of the app is causing problems. If you’re experiencing problems with the latest version of an app, such as crashes or bugs, you can downgrade to an older version to see if that fixes the problem.
- You want to restore an app to a previous version. If you liked a previous version of an app better than the latest version, you can downgrade to the previous version to get the features and functionality you miss.
- You need to use an app no longer available in the app store. If an app is no longer available in the app store, you may find an older version of the app’s APK file online.
Here are some of the steps on how to downgrade an app:
- Find the older version of the app’s APK file. You can find APK files online, such as on websites like APKMirror.
- Install a file manager app on your device. A file manager app will allow you to access and install APK files on your device.
- Copy the APK file to your device. You can do this by downloading the file from your computer and then transferring it to your device using a USB cable.
- Open the file manager app and locate the APK file.
- Could you tap on the APK file to install it?
Once you’ve installed the older version of the app, you should be able to use it as you normally would.
It’s important to note that downgrading an app can sometimes be risky. If you downgrade to an app that is no longer supported by the developer, you may not be able to receive security updates or bug fixes. Additionally, if you downgrade to an app that is incompatible with your device’s operating system, the app may not work properly.
For these reasons, it’s important to weigh the risks and benefits before downgrading an app. If you need to decide whether or not you should downgrade an app, it’s best to contact the app’s developer for advice.
Steps to Downgrade Instagram App on iPhone
If ever you find the need to downgrade Instagram, refer to these outlined steps.
Step 1: Back Up Your Data
– Ensure Instagram media, settings, etc., are backed up to Instagram’s servers.
– Consider backing up your iPhone locally through iTunes or iCloud as an extra precaution.
– Logging into your Instagram account after downgrading will restore your data.
This protects your profile information, photos, messages, and other account content.
Step 2: Finding an Older IPA File
To downgrade, you’ll need the IPA file for the desired version:
– Check websites that archive old iOS app files, like AppDB.
– Do a search for the Instagram version you want.
– Download the associated IPA file to your computer.
– Ensure the file is from a trustworthy source.
The IPA contains the actual Instagram app code for installing the target version.
Step 3: Sideloading with AltStore (Easier)
AltStore allows easier sideloading of IPAs with a free developer account:
1. Install AltStore on your computer and iPhone.
2. Connect them and transfer the Instagram IPA file to AltStore.
3. Use AltStore to install the older Instagram version on your iPhone.
This method works great for apps like Instagram with free developer accounts.
Step 4: Sideloading with Certificate (Advanced)
You can also use a paid Apple developer enterprise certificate for sideloading:
1. Obtain the certificate and convert the Instagram IPA for enterprise distribution.
2. Install the certificate configuration profile on your iPhone.
3. Transfer the enterprise IPA and trust the developer when installing.
This approach provides more flexibility but requires more complex tools like Cydia Impactor.
Step 5: Verifying the Downgrade
Once the older version of Instagram is installed:
– Open Settings to confirm the correct app version number.
– Check that expected features are present and issues are resolved.
– Log into your account to restore your profile, images, DMs, etc.
Downgrading Instagram on an iPhone takes some effort but provides you with much-needed app stability and control over the experience.
Downgrading Instagram on iPhone FAQs
Q: Why would I want to downgrade Instagram on my iPhone?
A: If a recent Instagram update introduces bugs or removes features you like, downgrading allows you to go back to a previous stable version of the app.
Q: What do I need to downgrade Instagram on an iPhone?
A: You’ll need the IPA file for your desired Instagram app version. You can find these archived IPA files on certain websites.
Q: What risks are involved in downgrading Instagram for iPhone?
A: Potential issues include temporary loss of data, like messages until you log in again, and instability if using a very outdated version. Downgrade with care.
Q: What are the easiest tools for downgrading Instagram on iPhone?
A: AltStore allows sideloading older IPA versions of Instagram using a free developer account. This provides an easier downgrade method.
Q: How can I verify Instagram was downgraded properly on my iPhone?
A: Check the Instagram app version in Settings, confirm expected features are present or issues fixed, and log in to your account to restore your profile data.