From the name itself, Apple Watch is designed and made for use on Apple iPhone devices. Up to date, it has become the most popular, useful and attractive smart watch almost everywhere as it works as a smart watch and a wristwatch at the same time. Since it was designed for iPhone device as its accessory hence not for iPads nor for iPods and definitely not for Android. Since then, due to its consistency and useful functions, the Apple watch has always been a must-have accessory and eye catching wearable even for Android users.
Which then came to the questions such as: Are you willing to give up your Android device to be able to use an Apple watch? Or is there a possibility in any way to use Apple Watch on an Android Phone so that you no longer have to choose between giving up or just staying with android. These questions has somehow caught the attention of Apple and they officially answered NO. It simply means that Apple watch cannot pair with an Android phone but only to an iPhone device. An Apple watch is only compatible with even selected iPhone models starting from iPhone 5 and later models. With that being said, both devices should work together using Bluetooth. So technically if you will attempt to pair your Apple watch to an Android device via bluetooth, connection request will be rejected.
But despite Apple’s quick yet simple and on-point answer, there are still speculations and even reported experiences from Apple Watch users that they were able to use the Apple Watch on an Android device. Although you can sort of, well kind-of make an Apple Watch works on an Android Device. The steps are somewhat limited and not entirely recommended but If you really want to play around and risk by experimenting, read on below for the steps that for some had worked in making Apple watch being to use on an Android Phone.
What functions can you expect after connection is successful?
While the Apple watch is connected to an Android Smartphone, the Apple watch and the installed apps on it will still be activated over a cellular connection, however there are certain apps that may not function such as health, physical fitness as well as downloading of apps.
And since the access to an iPhone was terminated at the time the sim card was removed and reinserted to an Android device, you will not be able to keep the software of the Apple watch up to date.
USE APPLE WATCH ON ANDROID SMARTPHONE
Make sure devices are to use are complete
Before you get started, the following are required for the steps in making your Apple Watch work with Android.
- Apple Watch with LTE (Unlocked)
- Android Smartphone (Unlocked)
- iPhone that supports Apple Watch, 6 or later (Unlocked)
- A tool used to remove a Sim Card
There are some cases wherein you are not sure if your iPhone or Android device is unlocked, if so, you may contact your carrier to make sure. Also, make sure that the cellular network on your devices also supports the usage of Apple watch i.e. AT & T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint.
Set up Apple Watch on iPhone
Step 1: Make sure that the Apple watch you will attempt to connect with an Android is correctly and completely configured on an iPhone by connecting it to your LTE network’s carrier.
- Launch Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Then, tap on Start Pairing. You can either choose to pair manually by selecting option “Pair your watch manually” and tapping on the Profile name in the Apple watch App or by holding the Apple watch to your iPhone’s camera.
- Enter a 6-digit code that will appear on the watch
- Tap on “Set Up as a New Apple Watch”
- Then choose your Wrist preference, either left or right.
- When at the terms and conditions appears,tap on Agree.
- Next, enter your Apple ID.
- Tap OK when you are prompted about Siri and Diagnostics as well as Location.
- Now, Create a 4-digit passcode for your watch.
- Choose from the options YES or NO on the display of your watch if an option will ask if you can unlock your Apple watch using an iPhone.
- You may set up Apple Pay and Emergency SOS when prompted. Apple pay is a feature that allows your Apple Watch to make payments through mobile, on the other hand, Emergency SOS that has been added to Series 3 that allows you to call and send alerts to contacts you’ve added as an Emergency SOS contact for emergency cases.
- Next, select on Install to start downloading Apple watch software versions of the apps that we’re already installed on your iPhone. Or you can opt to choose Later.
- Syncing of Apple Watch and iPhone device will now begin.
- You will receive a notification once Apple watch has completely set up and synced.
- Finally, connect your Apple Watch to your LTE network of your carrier.
STEP 2: Turn OFF iPhone, Android Smartphone and Apple watch
STEP 3: Remove the sim card from your iPhone using a sim card tool.
STEP 4: Insert the nano-sim to an Android device you want to connect Apple Watch.
STEP 5: Switch ON Android device and connect to cellular network
STEP 6: Switch ON Apple Watch by pressing on the button below the digital crown.
STEP 7: The Android phone will now be connected to a carrier and you will see that the Apple watch will also be connected.
To sum up everything mentioned above for a more better understanding, Apple watch and Android Smartphone are not communicating with each other and both are still not compatible. But when your Apple watch was set up with LTE, some of its functions no longer need the use or no longer need to be connected to an iPhone device. Brace yourself though because since it uses cellular connection, it is highly likely to affect battery life of your Apple Watch draining it faster and can often lead to problems with battery later on especially with the latest Apple watch wherein it has an option of Always ON.
Connecting an Apple watch to your Android is fun but if you really need a smartwatch for that matter, there are also smartwatch that are compatible with you Android device.
There’s no getting around it: if you want to activate and set up your Apple Watch, you need an iPhone. You need to use the built-in Watch app on your iPhone to activate your watch, set up things like iCloud and Apple Pay, and activate cellular connectivity if you have a watch with LTE.
There’s no way to pair an Apple Watch with an Android phone after setup, either. While it is a Bluetooth device, the Apple Watch is made explicitly to work with the iPhone.
Having Issues with your iPhone or iPad? Feel free to contact us using this form. We’’ll try to help