This post will walk you through utilizing an iOS feature that helps you speed up typing texts on your iPhone 14 with text replacement shortcuts. Here’s a quick guide to add new text replacements on the Apple iPhone 14 series.
Estimate Cost : 0
Time Needed : 5 minutes
Outlined below are the steps depicting the actual process of adding a text replacement like a word or phrase and its associated shortcut text on the new iPhone 14 device. Feel free to refer to this guide when needed.
1. To begin, launch the iOS Settings app menu by tapping on the gear-shaped icon from the Home screen of your iPhone.
You can also access the Settings app shortcut on the App Library.
2. While in the iOS settings menu, scroll to find then tap General.
Another screen launches with a list of all preloaded settings and services for system management.
3. Find Keyboard from the given items to proceed.
Another menu opens with features associated with the iOS keyboards.
4. To continue, find Text Replacement then tap on it.
On the succeeding menu, you will see all text replacement shortcuts and phrases saved on the iOS Keyboard dictionary.
5. To add a new text replacement, tap the Plus (+) icon located on the top-right corner of the screen.
On the following screen, you will see the fields where you can enter the Phrase and shortcut.
6. Type in the word or phrase that you'd like to create a shortcut.
Just tap on the provided text field the type in the desired word or phrase.
7. After typing the phrase and its associated shortcut, tap Save.
Doing so will update the Keyboard dictionary and add the recent phrase and shortcut you added.
- Apple iPhone 14
Repeat the same steps to add another phrase and shortcut. You can view all new added words, phrases and shortcuts on the Text Replacement menu.
To check and see how it actually works, open Messages or any other text-based apps on your iPhone. While in the app, type in any of the shortcuts that you recently added.
As you type in the shortcut, you should see the associated word or phrase suggestion beneath it. Simply tap to use the correct suggestion so that you don’t have to type the entire phrase. It truly makes you finish typing messages or documents faster.
Deleting a Text Replacement Shortcut and Phrase
Deleting a text replacement on the iPhone 14 is pretty straightforward. All you have to do is access the Text Replacement settings menu on your device.
While on the Text Replacement menu, find the text replacement that you’d like to delete then continue with these subsequent instructions.
- To remove a text replacement, just tap Edit at the bottom of the Text Replacement menu. Doing so switches the screen to edit mode with the minus sign appearing right before each shortcut.
- Find the shortcut that you’d like to delete then tap the Minus (-) before it. A delete button will appear right next to the associated phrase.
- Tap the Delete button to delete the word/shortcut. The selected shortcut and phrase will then be removed from the list.
Repeat the same steps to remove another shortcut and phrase from your iPhone’s text replacement directory.
And that’s all about adding a new text replacement on the Apple iPhone 14 series. This method is also applicable to other iPhones running on iOS 16 or later versions. Actual user interface may slightly vary between carriers and device models.