Apple devices indeed have a very decent hardware. Thus, seldom will you hear of an iOS device enduring from hardware issues as many Android devices do. But having an Apple device however, doesn’t always guarantee that you won’t be dealing with any hardware problem at all. In fact, a number of iOS users have had raised such complaints about various types of problems affecting both the software and hardware aspects of certain iOS device. Emerging among the most widespread issues on an Apple iPhone device is on charging. And this remains a headache to many iPhone users at present.
Charging problems depicted by slow charging, intermittent charging or no charge symptoms may occur on later or new iOS devices and the latest iPhone XR is not exempted. If by any chance, you will get to encounter the same problem on your recently acquired XR handset and you aren’t certain of what causes it to stop charging as intended, then you can try any of the solutions outlined below. Read on to find out what to do if your iPhone XR suddenly stops charging, charge but intermittently or charging very slowly.
For those who are looking for a solution to a different problem, drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this phone. Browse through the page to find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work for you or if you still need our help, contact us anytime through our iPhone issues questionnaire.
How to troubleshoot iPhone XR that would no longer charge?
If your iPhone XR is not charging, check and ensure that the charger and charging ports are working or not damaged. To rule out incompatible charger outputs, be sure to use the Apple-supplied charger or the one that comes with your device. But if the problem persists with the original iPhone charger in use, then you can try using third-party chargers either wireless or cable chargers that are compatible with your iOS device. Doing so will help you determine whether or not the problem is with the charger you’re using. If your iPhone XR charges using other chargers, then the original charger must be at fault and therefore should be replaced. If your iPhone still refuses to charge using other chargers, then you can try these workarounds to rule out software problems.
First workaround: Force restart your iPhone while it’s connected to the charger.
If your iPhone XR was able to charge properly but then suddenly failed, then something must have interfered with its charging system. Errant apps, corrupted system data, software bugs and malware could be the possible culprits. To clear these out, performing a force restart while your iPhone XR is charging can help. Here’s how it works:
Charge your iPhone as you normally do. While plugged into charge, force restart your iPhone with these steps:
- Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
- Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears and then release it.
If your phone reacts positively and shows some signs of life from a force restart, then that’s an indication that the problem is attributed to software errors. Should that be a minor error, a force restart should handle it.
Second workaround: Keep your iPhone plugged into the charger for up to 2 hours.
The charging indicator normally appears on the display a few seconds from plugging the phone to the charger. But that is only when everything is working on both the phone and charging equipment. Otherwise, check and ensure that nothing is clogged inside your iPhone’s charging port that may block the charger from reaching the inner part of the charging port. Also ensure that the charger itself isn’t loose. Furthermore, give your device some more time to charge. If the phone still doesn’t charge after 2 hours, then you’re more likely dealing with a hardware issue. In that case, your iPhone XR needs service.
What to do if your iPhone XR is charging very slowly or intermittently?
Your iPhone may not charge as fast as expected when using third-party or non-Apple chargers. The same thing can happen when using the original (OEM) charger but charging from indirect power sources such as portable power banks or laptop USB ports. The power output from these sources may not be as much as that from the wall outlet, thus it would take your device to complete charging. In the case where the iPhone XR is charging intermittently, it could be due to a loose charger or defective charging port in use. In that case, making some adjustments to secure charging connections would be necessary.
If you’re using some protective cases especially non-Apple accessories, try removing them too as they can also cause such trouble. Some iPhone accessories may not fit well with the actual design of the phone and thus, prevent the cable from establishing full contact with the iPhone’s charging circuit.
Other possible solutions (for slow or intermittent charging)
- Update iOS to the latest version available. Also try checking for and installing new iOS update for your phone. This can help bring ultimate solutions if the problem is inflicted by system errors and random bugs. You can head straight to your iPhone Settings-> General-> Software update menu to check for new OTA updates to grab. This however could only be done when your iPhone has internet access and at least 50 percent battery life.
- Reset all settings. To clear out invalid or incorrect settings from the underlying causes, try to reset all settings on your iPhone XR. This may be necessary if you happened to customize your iPhone settings before slow or intermittent charging symptom occurs. To do this, go to Settings-> General-> Reset menu then select the option to Reset all settings. Unlike a factory reset, this doesn’t affect any saved data on the phone memory, thus creating backups aren’t necessary. Note that all settings are restored to their original values after the reset so don’t forget to enable the features you want to use on your device including Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and cellular network connections.
- Manage/delete rogue apps. If slow charging and other charging symptoms occur after installing new app, then that app must be the trigger. It’s possible that the app is glitching and the symptoms are interfering with the phone’s charging routine. In that case, installing pending update for that app can help. Otherwise, delete or reinstall the application instead.
What to do if your iPhone XR is still not charging after applying the previous charging solutions?
Resorting to wireless charging pads for your iPhone XR can also be considered an option if charging problems persist using cable chargers. Just be sure to pick the brand that works best and is supported by your iOS device.
If your iPhone XR still won’t charge after performing the above workarounds, contact your device carrier for further recommendations. Or you can also take your device to the nearest Apple service center and have it carefully assessed by an authorized technician for any indications of hardware damage. Be sure to bring the original charger with you so the technician can examine it too. Don’t forget to avail for warranties, if necessary.
- How to fix iCloud problems on Apple iPhone XR, unsupported Apple ID, authentication error [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Apple iPhone XR System Resets Guide: Soft reset, Force restart, Reset network settings, Reset all settings, Reset Location & Privacy, Factory reset
- Apple iPhone XR iOS Restore: How to perform a Recovery Mode restore, DFU Mode Restore on iPhone XR [Tutorials]
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XR that cannot send or receive emails through Mail app
- How to fix YouTube app that keeps crashing or not working properly on your Apple iPhone XR [Troubleshooting Guide]
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the Apple iPhone XR smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone XR. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.