In this troubleshooting guide, we will show you what to do if Facebook Messenger keeps crashing on your iPhone 12 or just stops working for no apparent reason. App crashes are actually among the most common issues you may encounter regardless of the smartphone you’re using. Read on to learn how to fix it.
App crashes are common but they’re not really a serious problem. In fact you may be able to fix them by doing one or a couple of procedures. Most of the time, an app crashes if there’s a minor issue with it, although it can also be due to other factors. If you’re one of the iPhone 12 users that keep dealing with Messenger crashes, then here’s what you should do:
First solution: Make sure you have Internet connection
Many users have encountered app crashes due to unstable or no connectivity. It often occurs on apps that need to be constantly connected to their servers, including Messenger. That might be the reason why it’s crashing on your iPhone.
So the first thing you have to do is make sure your device has a stable connection. Check if it’s connected to the correct network, regardless of whether you’re using mobile data or Wi-Fi. One thing to make sure you have a stable connection is to restart your router to refresh the connection between your devices.
You may also do a simple speed test to know how fast your connection is.
If the Messenger still crashes even if you have a stable connection, then move on to the next solution.
Second solution: Close Messenger and do the Forced restart
After making sure your Internet’s good, the next thing you have to do is force close Messenger and then refresh your iPhone’s memory. You can do so by doing the Forced Restart. This procedure is a simulated battery pull that has been proven to be effective against minor issues. Here’s how:
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen and stop at the middle. This will show you all app previews.
- Swipe up on each preview to close them.
- To force restart your iPhone, quickly press and release the volume up button and then the Volume down button.
- Immediately after that, press and hold the Power key for 10 seconds. This will trigger your device to shut down and power back up.
- Once the logo shows, release the Power key and wait until it’s finished.
After the restart, open Messenger and see if it still crashes.
Third solution: Check if Messenger is down
Sometimes, one of the reasons why an app starts to crash is when its servers are down. That’s why if such a problem occurred without apparent reason, you also have to check its status.
Log on to DownDetector.com to find out if it’s down or something. If there are 50 reports or more, then it’s possible that the servers are down and if that’s the case, there’s nothing else you can do but wait until Facebook fixes the problem.
More often, server-related issues get fixed in an hour or two. So just wait it out and you should be able to use the app again after a few hours.
However, if the servers are all running and Messenger still keeps crashing, then try the next solution.
Fourth solution: Uninstall and reinstall Messenger
After doing the first three solutions and Messenger is still not working properly, then it’s possible that the problem is with the app. At this point, it’s best to just uninstall it to remove all its installation files. Then reinstall it to make sure you’re using the latest version. Here’s how:
- Go to the screen where the Messenger app is located.
- Tap and hold on the icon until the options show.
- Tap Remove app, and then tap Delete app.
- Tap Delete to confirm you want to remove it.
- Once the app is successfully uninstalled, launch the App Store.
- Search for messenger.
- Tap the Install icon and wait until it’s successfully installed.
Once the installation is finished, launch Messenger and see if the problem is fixed.
Fifth solution: Factory reset your iPhone
If Messenger still keeps crashing even after reinstalling it, then you have no other choice but to reset your iPhone. It’s a possible firmware issue, especially if there are other apps that also crash when you open them. But before the reset, back up your important files as they will be deleted. When ready, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Find and tap General.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen, and then touch Reset.
- Tap Erase All Contents and Settings.
- Tap Erase Now.
- If prompted, enter your security lock.
- Tap Erase iPhone at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Erase iPhone again to proceed.
- Now enter your Apple ID password, and then tap Erase to proceed with the reset.
- Wait until your iPhone has finished the reset, and then set it up as a new device.
The problem should be fixed by now.
And that’s what you need to do if Messenger crashes on iPhone 12. We hope that this guide can help you one way or the other.
If you find this troubleshooting guide helpful, please consider supporting us by subscribing to our YouTube channel. We need your support so that we can continue creating helpful contents in the future.