Ever since iOS13 was released, it has offered quite a number of new features and app improvements. It has made iPhone devices much faster and exciting. One of the favorite features that Apple users like is the Personal Hotspot. It is a feature that allows you to share internet access to other devices signed into your iCloud Account without the need to enter the password. Although Personal hotspot is now a new feature with Apple devices, but with iOS 13 it is one of the features that had a significant change in terms of its functions wherein many are having difficulty using it.
There have been reports that since iOS 13 was updated on their iPhone, Personal Hotspot on their devices is working entirely different than when used with the previous iOS versions. Some reports of Apple user have experienced the feature to suddenly stopped functioning or personal hotspot continues to Turn ON all the time. And some have reported not being able to share data connection with other Apple devices that is not using the iCloud account as you. In order to fix this, head over to Settings on your iPhone, tap on Personal Hotspot and Toggle Allow Others to Join tab to enable it. This will allow users other than one of your devices to connect to your data connection.
Apple has not yet made it clear as to what causes issues with Personal Hotspot issues with connectivity, it may seem to have been connected to the problems that iOS 13 had been facing. We can always try some basic troubleshooting tips that can somehow fix the problem. Read on below to find out why
FIX PERSONAL HOTSPOT NOT WORKING
TIP 1: RESTART iPHONE
With any troubleshooting methods, this should always be the first step to take. Most of the time, a simple restart on your iPhone basically fixes any issues on your Apple devices. Restarting shutdowns all running programs on your iphone.
How to restart:
- Simultaneously press and hold the Power/sleep wake Button and Volume down button
- Wait for Slide to power off slider appears.
- Slide the command to the right to turn OFF your iPhone
- Wait for 2-3 minutes, then press the Power button to boot up.
- Try to check if Personal Hotspot issue has been fixed.
TIP 2: TURN ON BOTH CELLULAR AND BLUETOOTH, and PERSONAL HOTSPOT TABS
In order to enable your Personal Hotspot on your iPhone, make sure both the Cellular and Bluetooth tabs are both enabled as you will not be able to allow others or you cannot activate your Personal Hotspot.
How to turn on:
- Go to Settings from the home screen.
- Tap on Bluetooth, toggle ON
- Tap on Cellular, toggle ON.
- Tap on Personal Hotspot, toggle ON.
- If WiFi is not turned on, pop message appears “Wi-Fi is Off. Personal Hotspot will only be available over bluetooth and Cellular. Do you also want to enable it over Wifi? Options are Turn on WiFI or Bluetooth and USB only.
TIP 3: UPDATE THE LATEST iOS VERSIONS
Since the issue started when iPhone users updated to the new iOS 13 version, it is always recommended to update whenever a new version is available. As of this writing, the latest iOS version is now on iOS 13.2.3.
Updating to the latest software updates is very important as it does not only fixes bugs, it also improves software stability and removes features that are outdated making your iPhone experiences much better. In this issue, keeping software up to date may help resolve Personal Hotspot problem.
How to update:
- Go to Settings from the home screen
- Tap on General
- Then tap on Software Update. Apple server will now check for available updates. Results can either be your current software is up to date or there is an available software for update
- Tap on Download and Install to start the update process.
TIP 4: RESET NETWORK SETTINGS
To make Personal Hotspot to work, it uses network settings that are available on your iPhone. If there are issues or settings that are not configured correctly that may have caused the issue. It is recommended to reset network settings to set settings and preferences back to default. You can reconfigure those settings later on. Do not worry, there will be no data loss when you try this tip, but make sure to keep your WiFi password in handy you will be needing it later to log into WiFi connection.
To reset all settings:
- Go to Settings from the Home Screen
- Then, tap on General
- Scroll down from the list of options, tap on Reset
- Tap on Reset Network Settings
- Enter Passcode if required to confirm action.
- Restart your iPhone
- Input all passwords on Wifi and preferences settings
- Try using Personal Hotspot again and check if it works.
TIP 5: DEVICE IN RANGE
It is likely that the cause of Personal Hotspot is not working, it’s probably because the devices are not within range. Ideally, the recommended range between devices when using bluetooth is 25 feet to a maximum of 30 feet. Beyond that range, you will have a hard time connection to the Personal Hotspot, also there shouldn’t be any obstructions between devices connecting to each other using bluetooth.
Dropping of data connections when connected to a Personal Hotspot also occurs when devices are out of range as there could be interference between the two.