The 3D Touch feature of #Apple iPhone 6s Plus (#iPhone6sPlus) allows you to do many things quickly, right from the Home screen. With this feature, you can press down on the screen gently or harder to access different functions in certain applications.
Indeed, the #3DTouch technology offers every user an entirely new way to interact with their new iPhone. But not everyone is having smooth experience as they’d expect from the iPhone 6s Plus 3D Touch. Some users are having trouble getting it to work while others have it only working on some apps. You can see relevant complaints posted online, including the following:
- Home button overheating
- Won’t register fingerprint unlock (Touch ID)
- 3D Touch not responding
- 3D Touch inputs delayed
Read on to learn what causes these problems to occur and how to deal with them.
The aforementioned symptoms can either be due to a software or hardware problem. Although majority of the cases are linked to a certain glitch on Apple’s 3D Touch program structure. Considering the fact that this is an advanced feature, it’s inevitable for some slight coding inconsistencies to be overlooked until end-users discover the symptoms during the first few days or weeks of hands on.
The best way to determine the culprit is to consider what happened prior to the onset of the problem. For instance, if the symptoms started after installing a new app or making changes to some settings, then the problem is more likely on the software. However, if symptoms emerged after the phone got wet or was dropped, then they could be indicators of hardware damage.
Recommended Solution and Workarounds
Software-related problems can be rectified by performing any applicable workarounds from a simple reboot down to a hard reset. And if all that have failed to fix the problem, that’s when you consider seeking professional help. Hardware-related problems would usually require an aid from authorized Apple technicians in order to get fixed. However, advanced users always have the option to fix the problem by themselves, at their own risks.
Highlighted below are possible solutions and workarounds for your iPhone 6s Plus problems with the Home button or 3D Touch.
- Take note of the error messages or prompts (if there’s any) for these can help you obtain solid fixes or workarounds to deal with them. Error prompts are generally designed to give end-users a hint of what’s wrong and what needs to be done in order to have it rectified.
Before you begin performing any of the following workarounds, be sure to check if the 3D Touch feature is enabled on your phone. Here’s how to access the 3D Touch settings on your iPhone 6s Plus:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Accessibility.
- Toggle the switch next to 3D Touch to turn the feature ON or enable it. You can also adjust some settings like the sensitivity level for press and pop functions, according to your preference.
After ensuring the feature is enabled, you may now proceed with the following solutions.
Step 1. Restart your iPhone.
First occurrence of any of the aforementioned symptoms can be rectified by a simple restart. Here’s how:
- Press and hold the Sleep/Wake (Power) button until you see the red slider.
- When the slider appears, drag it to turn the device completely off.
- Wait for a few seconds, then press and hold the Sleep/Wake button again until the Apple logo appears.
Step 2. Reset iPhone settings.
Resetting your settings can also help rectify issues caused by software inconsistencies. Here’s how:
- Navigate to your iPhone Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Reset.
- Select Reset All.
After the reset, test your device to see if the problem has been fixed. You may need to enter some settings again. If the problem occurs while using a specific application, please ensure the app is updated and then run the app at least one before using 3D Touch with it.
Step 3. Force your iPhone to restart.
Forcing the device to restart can also be helpful especially if the phone is not responding. The process will not erase the contents on your device. To force restart your device, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds until the Apple logo shows up. This is a commonly used method to deal with the iPhone Home/Touch ID button that’s too hot.
Step 4. Perform a Factory Reset.
While performing a factory reset often helps in resolving various device issues, doing so will also mean losing all of your personal contents in it. The process will erase your iPhone and revert it back to factory defaults, thereby eliminating corrupted files that are causing you troubles.
Helpful Tips to prevent Touch ID problems on your iPhone 6s Plus
- Properly calibrate your fingerprint. The proper way to calibrate fingerprint on your iPhone is to hold your phone as you’d normally do. This means, you shouldn’t hold it perfectly because that is not how you hold it in normal bases. Also, while calibrating please make sure your fingers are placed in all possible positions including your fingers edges and tips. All parts of your finger should be scanned.
- Remove any case or screen protector while attempting to register your fingerprint. Your finger must touch the metal ring around the Home button so make sure nothing is blocking the Home button as well as the surrounding ring.
- Ensure no damp screens or fingers. The Touch ID may not work properly or unable to recognize your fingerprint input if your finger is damp or the Home button has some moisture over it.
- Register more than one fingerprint. In case one of your fingerprints is damaged, you still have other backups ready for use when necessary.
- Finally, keep the phone, especially the Home button, free from dust or dirt. One of the iPhone design downsides is that the dust can easily penetrate under the Home button.
And should all these methods have failed to fix the problem, seeking for professional help is highly recommended. There’s a big possibility that the hardware or device itself is damaged. In this regard, please contact Apple Support to set up service.
Connect with us
We’ve also created a Troubleshooting Page dedicated for iPhone 6s Plus problems solutions as well as tutorial sections. Feel free to view this page when necessary. If you need further assistance in resolving other issues you may have with your iDevice(s), just fill up the form we’ve provided in the same page with necessary information. The more details you give, the more we can come up with better and more efficient solutions and recommendations.