Apps are essential attributes that make your smartphone experience utmost. Some apps come pre-installed while others require manual downloads and installation. One of the most popular and widely used apps used in Android and iOS devices is the Facebook app. In fact, most people have it installed in their respective devices. With that said, people behind Facebook’s existence are doing all means that could keep the app working and stable. But the fact that no apps is perfect makes Facebook not exempted from encountering random flaws. Tackled in this post is a common issue on the Facebook app that won’t open or not working on the iPhone 5c. Read on to find out what to do if you cannot use Facebook app on your iPhone for some reason.
Before we proceed, if you’re looking for a solution to a problem with your phone, try to browse through our troubleshooting pages to see if we support your device. If your phone is in the list of our supported devices, then go to the troubleshooting page and look for similar problems. Feel free to use our solutions and workarounds. Don’t worry it’s free. But if you still need our help, then fill up our iOS issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
Fixing Facebook app that won’t open on your iPhone 5c
Performing the following procedures will help rule out common factors that can cause problems to Facebook app. Among the underlying causes that are ruled out through these workarounds are network connectivity issues, in-app glitches, incorrect settings, and corrupted data. Don’t forget to test launch Facebook after performing each solution to determine whether or not the problem is fixed.
First solution: Restart Facebook app.
When you left your apps suspended or running in the background for long, chances are that they would crash. If that happens, they would cause other apps to act up and fail to work. To make sure this isn’t the reason why Facebook app won’t open on your iPhone, clear out background apps including Facebook with these steps:
- Double press the Home key to launch the recent apps screen. On this screen, you will see the previews of the apps you’ve recently used but not closed.
- Flip through the app previews then find Facebook.
- Swipe up on the Facebook app preview to close the app. Do the same to clear all other background apps.
Try loading Facebook after clearing all background apps to see if it’s workaround already.
Second solution: Soft reset to fix Facebook app that won’t open on your iPhone 5c.
If clearing background apps didn’t solve the problem, move on and carry out a soft reset on your iPhone. Doing so will help clear out random in-app glitches that might have barred Facebook from loading up on your device. This won’t affect any saved data on your iPhone’s internal memory, thus backing up won’t be necessary. Just refer to these steps whenever you’re ready:
- Press and hold the Power (Sleep/Wake) button on the top of the phone for a few seconds.
- Release the button when the Power Off slider appears. The iPhone will then shut down.
- After a few seconds, press and hold the Power (Sleep/Wake) button until the Apple logo appears and then release the button.
Wait for your iPhone to finish booting up then retry loading Facebook app to see if it’s now able to run.
Third solution: Disable Facebook app restrictions.
Another possible reason as to why apps won’t open or load properly on your iPhone is because the iOS restrictions feature is enabled. As the name implies, this features restricts or limits certain apps from working on your device. To rule this out, turn off restrictions on your iPhone 5c. Just follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Tap Screen Time.
- Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- If prompted, enter the correct four-digit passcode and then confirm.
- Tap the switch next to Content & Privacy to turn the feature OFF.
Restrictions are now lifted so all your apps should now be able to work as intended, without any limits.
Fourth solution: Refresh your Internet connection.
Internet problems can also cause similar problems to occur on online apps like Facebook. This is usually the case if your iPhone is experiencing random Internet connectivity issues from slow browsing to intermittent or no Internet connection at all. One of the simple solutions to these problems is to refresh your iPhone’s Internet connection.
The easiest way to refresh your Internet connection is through the Wi-Fi toggle. Here’s how it’s done:
- From your Home screen, tap Settings.
- Select Wi-Fi.
- Toggle the Wi-Fi switch to turn the feature OFF.
- After a few seconds, tap the switch again to turn Wi-Fi back on.
Another way to restart and refresh Wi-Fi and relevant services on your iPhone is through the Airplane Mode trick. Here’s how you do it:
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Select Airplane Mode.
- Then toggle the switch to turn Airplane Mode on. Doing so disables your iPhone’s wireless radios and relevant features are turned off.
- While Airplane Mode is turned on, restart/soft reset your iPhone 5c.
- After it reboots, go back to Settings-> Airplane Mode menu.
- Then toggle the Airplane Mode switch to turn Airplane Mode off again.
Enable Wi-Fi to reconnect to your Wi-Fi network and get back online. After reconnecting your iPhone to the Internet, open Facebook app to see if it’s already working.
Fifth solution: Install pending updates for Facebook.
Apps that aren’t up to date are susceptible to various types of errors and are likely to perform unstable. If you haven’t configured your apps to auto-install updates, chances are that you’ve missed some critical updates for your Facebook app. As a result, the app has become vulnerable to errors. If that’s the case, then follow these steps to manually check and update your apps via App Store:
- Tap to open the App Store from your Home screen.
- From the App Store screen, scroll down to the bottom then tap the Updates tab. Doing so will open a new screen containing a list of apps with pending updates.
- To update individual apps, particularly Facebook, tap the Update button next to the name of the application.
- To update all apps at once, tap the Update All button on the upper-right side.
Reboot your iPhone after updating your apps to apply the recent software changes and likewise, to refresh your phone’s memory.
Sixth solution: Reinstall Facebook app on your iPhone 5c.
If the Facebook app on your iPhone has become corrupted, it wouldn’t be able to load or open unless you have it reinstalled. This means the need to delete the problematic Facebook app from your phone and then install the latest version of the app through the App Store. Here’s how:
- Find the Facebook app icon from the Home screen.
- Tap and hold down the app icon until all apps start to shake.
- Tap the X on the top-left corner of the Facebook app icon.
- Then tap Delete to confirm that you want to delete the app.
- Tap anywhere on the screen to stop the app icons from shaking.
After deleting Facebook app, launch the App Store and find the latest version of the app to download and install on your device. Here’s how:
- Open the App Store app on your phone.
- Type Facebook app or Facebook into the search field then tap the Search icon.
- Select the correct Facebook app version for your iPhone 5c.
- Then tap the Cloud icon or Download button to start downloading the app.
Wait until the app is completely installed then restart your iPhone to dump junk files from caches. Then try to see if that solves the problem with Facebook app.
Seventh solution: Reset network settings on your iPhone 5c.
Reinstalling the app is usually enough to deal with in-app glitches. Having said that, the Facebook app should already be working as intended and loading up properly on your iPhone after carrying out the previous solution. But if your iPhone Facebook app still won’t open, then you should rule out other factors including network errors. And this is when performing a network settings reset is recommended. This will erase all your current network configurations along with any associated errors. Before you do, take note of your Wi-Fi password because you will need to login to your network again after the reset. You may start whenever you’re all set:
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Scroll to and tap General.
- Tap on Reset.
- Select the option to Reset network settings.
- Enter your passcode if prompted.
- Tap to confirm that you want to reset network settings on your phone.
Your iPhone restarts automatically when the reset is finished and then loads up the original network values and options. To get back online and use online apps, particularly Facebook, enable Wi-Fi and reconnect to your Wi-Fi network.
Still can’t open or load Facebook app on your iPhone 5c?
The problem is likely not rectifiable by end-users, thus you still cannot open and use Facebook app on your iPhone 5c. There might be some complex issues with the Facebook server that are currently taken care of by Facebook engineers. If that’s the case, then there’s not much can be done on your end but to wait until it’s back up and running properly again. You can also report the problem to the Facebook Help Center and gather some inputs from the Facebook Community to resolve the issue with any applicable user-defined fixes.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our troubleshooting page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.