Smartwatches like the Apple Watch 4 also have their own operating systems or firmware and in the case of the Apple’s wearable, the firmware is called WatchOS 5. The company rolls out updates every now and then which patch some issues and fix problems reported by users. I cannot stress enough how important firmware updates are. Users should update their devices as soon as a new version of firmware is rolled out.
In this post, I will guide you on how to update your Watch 4 to the latest WatchOS version. So, if you’re one of the owners of this device, continue reading as this short tutorial post may be able to help you one way or another.
Updating Apple Watch 4 to latest version
Your Apple Watch will notify you if there’s an available update. You also have an option to update it at a later time using the Update Tonight option in the notification. You will also have to confirm it on your iPhone. At the end of the day, leave your Apple Watch and iPhone charging overnight, so the update can complete.
To check for updates manually, use these steps:
- Keep your Apple Watch on its charger until the update completes. If the device powers down while the update process is underway, there could be a problem after that so make sure it has enough battery.
- On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app, then tap the My Watch tab.
- Tap General > Software Update.
- Download the update. If asked for your iPhone passcode or Apple Watch passcode, enter it.
- Wait for the progress wheel to appear on your Apple Watch. It could take from several minutes to an hour for the update to complete.
Troubleshooting Apple Watch 4 that won’t update
If you encounter issues while updating the device, try these steps…
- Restart your Apple Watch. Press and hold the side button until you see Power Off, then drag the slider. To turn your watch on again, press and hold the side button.
- Restart your paired iPhone. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears, then drag the slider. To turn your iPhone on again, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button.
- Try to start the update again.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix the problem with your device. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!