Every new iOS update released by Apple has negative outcomes. Although updates are generally intended to serve good purpose, it is inevitable for them to embed some bugs that can trigger various types of post-update issues. Update bugs may affect certain apps and features as well as system services. Oftentimes, post-update issues are minor and therefore easily be resolved by performing basic workarounds. But there are also post-updates that are tough enough to withstand the initial workarounds.
Tackled in this post is one of the post-update problems encountered by random owners of iPhone XS handset. It’s about the Visual Voicemail feature that suddenly stopped working after installing iOS version 12.1.4 update on their respective devices. If you happened to be one of the affected users, then this post may be able to help you out as well. Read on to learn what to do if your iPhone XS Visual Voicemail suddenly stops working after updating iOS.
For those who are looking for a solution to a different problem, drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this phone. Browse through the page to find issues that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work for you or if you still need our help, contact us anytime through our iPhone issues questionnaire.
How to troubleshoot iPhone XS with Visual Voicemail issue?
Before troubleshooting, make sure that your carrier supports Visual Voicemail services. Not all carriers offer the service so confirm it with your carrier first-hand. If your carrier support Visual Voicemail but you couldn’t get it to work on your iPhone XS, verify and ensure that it’s properly set up on your Phone app. The update might have ruined or deleted your previous voicemail configuration and therefore it needs to be set up again. Here’s how to set up Visual Voicemail on your iPhone XS:
- Open the Phone app.
- Tap the Voicemail icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Select the option to Set Up Now.
- Create a voicemail password then tap Done.
- Re-type the password to confirm then tap Done to save it.
- If prompted to select from Custom or Default, select Custom to record a new greeting. Otherwise, choose Default to use the default visual voicemail greeting.
- Finally, tap Done to save your greeting.
After setting up your Visual Voicemail, try to place a phone call to your iPhone XS using another phone and then see if visual voicemail is already working. If it still doesn’t work, then you can proceed and try any of these subsequent solutions.
First solution: Refresh your cellular network connection.
Cellular network connection is one of the key requisites for Visual Voicemail to work on your device. If your phone has an unstable connection to cellular network, then that is likely the main reason as to why Visual Voicemail isn’t working at the moment. In that case, try to refresh your cellular network connection first. One of the most effective ways to refresh network connection and other iOS functions is to soft reset or restart the phone with these steps:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons when the Slide to Power Off command appears and then drag the power off slider to the right.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power/Side button again until the phone reboots.
If that doesn’t solve the problem and your iPhone is still having an unstable connection to your cellular network, try to change or switch to a different network mode. Here’s how:
- Tap Settings from the home screen.
- Scroll down then tap Mobile Data.
- Next, tap Mobile Data options.
- Select the option to Enable 4G.
- Then tap to select other options like Voice & Data, Data Only or Off.
Test your phone after you configured it for use of 4G networks and see if that fixes the problem. If not, then try other applicable solutions.
Second solution: Toggle Airplane Mode ON and OFF.
Performing the Airplane mode trick has been proven effective when dealing with different problems affecting wireless radios and network functions of the phone. If the problem is tied to bug-inflicted network connectivity errors, then this trick will like be able to fix your Visual Voicemail too. Should you wish to take a chance, then here’s how the Airplane mode trick is done:
- Tap Settings from your Home screen.
- Then tap Airplane Mode.
- Toggle the switch to turn Airplane Mode ON. Doing so will disable the phone’s wireless radios.
- While Airplane Mode is turned ON, restart or soft reset your iPhone.
- After the phone reboots, go back to Settings-> Airplane Mode menu.
- Then toggle the switch to turn Airplane Mode OFF again.
To get back online, set up and reconnect to your Wi-Fi network. Wait for your phone to re-establish connection to cellular network. When the network signal becomes stable,
Third solution: Update carrier settings on your phone.
Carriers also pushed periodic updates to ensure optimum network performance on every device. Like iOS updates, carrier updates also contain fix patches to get rid of network bugs and fix network-related errors that ruined the phone’s network functions. Some carrier updates rolled out as mandatory update hence, automatically installed on a device. Other carrier updates do require manual installation.
- To check for carrier updates on your iPhone XS, go to Settings-> General-> About menu. After a few seconds, the Carrier section will be populated with notification if an update is available. Read the update details then follow the onscreen instructions to download and install it on your device.
Restart the phone when the update is installed. This will refresh the phone system and ensure that all new changes to your carrier settings are properly saved and implemented.
Fourth solution: Reset network settings on your phone.
Network problems that could not be resolved by the previous methods are usually inflicted by some tough triggers like stubborn bugs and incorrect network settings. This can happen if your previous network configuration has been overridden by the update and resulted to an error. To clear out such errors, resetting the phone’s network settings would be necessary. This reset will erase network-related information and settings including Bluetooth connections, Wi-Fi networks, APNs and the like. If you wish to proceed and go for this reset, follow these steps:
- From your Home screen, tap on Settings.
- Select General.
- Scroll down to and then tap on Reset.
- Select the option to Reset network settings.
- If prompted, enter your passcode then follow the onscreen instructions to confirm network settings reset.
The phone should restart automatically when the reset is finished. By the time it boots up, you can set up your wireless network to reconnect to Wi-Fi and re-enable Bluetooth connections, if needed. Wait for the phone to re-establish cellular network connection then place a test call using a different phone to see if Visual Voicemail is back up and working on your iPhone XS again.
Fifth solution: Restore your iPhone.
If the problem isn’t solved by the network settings reset, then you may have to carry out full system resets including factory reset or iOS restore. To rule out possible stubborn iOS bug that crushed the network system of your phone, go for an iOS restore either recovery mode or DFU mode. You can restore your iPhone from a previous back up or set it up as new through iTunes. But before you do so, don’t forget to back up all important data from your iPhone XS to iCloud or iTunes drive. Performing system restore often leads to resolving major issues as well as permanent data loss.
Should you wish to proceed, start with a recovery mode restore to put your device in a recovery state and erase the system. Then you can use a previous iOS backup to restore from or set up your device as new. If that still failed, then performing a DFU mode restore would be your last option and possible solution. You can refer to a step-by-step guide on how to carry out a recovery mode restore and DFU mode restore on the iPhone XS tutorials section of this site.
Seek more help
Escalate the problem to your carrier or Apple Support for further assistance if none of the above solutions is able to solve the problem. Let them know exactly about how and when your iPhone XS ended up with a non-working Visual Voicemail feature. Should this be confirmed a cellular bug from the iOS 12.1.4, then Apple would be obliged to develop and push a dedicated fix patch.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix the problem with your device. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!