There are two main reasons why the microphone is not working on your iPhone 8 Plus. Either the microphone is busted due to hardware damage or just couldn’t get to work as intended because of software glitches. For the first possible reason, you’ve got no other option but to have your iPhone checked and/or repaired by a technician. However, the microphone issue you are dealing with is attributed to a software glitch, you still have a chance of getting it fixed at home. All you need is to try performing some applicable workarounds to troubleshoot software problems that caused the microphone functions to fail at the moment. Read on and get some inputs on how to deal with this problem on your iPhone 8 Plus.
Drop by our iPhone 8 Plus troubleshooting page if you have other issues with your phone as we’ve already addressed the most common problems. If you need more help, fill up our iPhone issues questionnaire and hit submit to contact us.
How to troubleshoot iPhone 8 Plus with a microphone that’s not working
Before you troubleshoot, test and check your iPhone’s microphone. Your iPhone has three microphones, the rear microphone, front/receiver microphone, and the bottom microphone.
- To test the front and rear microphones, shoot two quick videos. Use the front camera to take the first shot and the rear camera for the second shot. Afterwards, play them back. If you hear audio in the videos taken by the front and rear camera, the video’s respective microphone is working fine.
- To test the bottom microphone, open the Voice Memos app and then record a new memo by pressing the large red button in the middle of the screen. Play the memo back then see if you hear the audio. If it’s audible, the bottom microphone is working.
If any of the microphone tests failed, then your iPhone needs service. Else, you need to deal with audio/sound problem that is attributed to a software error on your iPhone 8 Plus. At this point, you may start to troubleshoot software issues with the following workarounds.
Clean the microphone
Aside from software glitches, there are also other factors that can cause similar issue in which you might think that your iPhone 8 Plus microphone is not working. Dirt and dust that are stuck in the microphone slot can cause such an issue. This is usually the case if your iPhone’s microphones sounds are muffled or have no sound at all. To rule this out, simply clean the microphone using a dry, unused toothbrush. Brush to clean the microphone grill at the bottom of your iPhone and the small black dot on the rear-facing camera. To dislodge any stuck dirt, dust, and pocket lint, slide the toothbrush over the microphones.
After cleaning, test the microphones again and see if they are already working. If still not working, then move on the next applicable workarounds.
Reset all settings on your iPhone 8 Plus
Incorrect settings or erroneous system configuration may inflict trouble to certain functions of your iPhones. If the issue on the microphone instigated after making some changes to your iPhone settings, then a settings error is likely to blame. You can revert the recent changes you’ve made back to its prior configuration to fix the problem. But if you couldn’t remember exactly of what has changed or which from among the modified settings has caused the microphone problem to stop working, then you can just reset all settings on your iPhone 8 Plus instead. This will erase all your current settings and restore them to defaults without affecting any data you have stored on the internal memory of your iPhone. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down then tap Reset.
- Tap to select the Reset All Settings option.
All your settings are reset and then your iPhone will reboot.
After the reboot, test to see if the microphones are already working properly. If the problem persists, try the next workaround.
Update iOS to the latest version available
Software updates also contain bug fixes aside from new features. If the microphone problem is triggered by some bugs, installing the latest iOS version will like fix it. If you haven’t already, check for available software update you can install over-the-air or wirelessly. Be sure to back up all your important data before you do so. Here’s how to check for available software update on your iPhone 8 Plus:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Tap Software Update.
If a new software update is available, you will see an update notification. Before you proceed to download and install the latest iOS version for your device, create a backup of all your data for safekeeping. Once you’re all set, follow the onscreen instructions to implement the new firmware version.
To install OTA updates, a stable Wi-Fi connection and sufficient battery life on your iPhone would be necessary in order to proceed.
Factory reset/master reset your iPhone 8 Plus
As your last resort, you may resort to a factory reset or master reset if all else failed to fix the problem and that you’re certain that the microphones are working based on prior tests. Perhaps some tough bugs messed up the audio system of your iPhone and so none of the microphones are working as a result. However you will also lose your personal information along with other important data you have stored on your device in the process. That being said, creating a backup is recommended. Should you wish to proceed, follow these steps to factory reset your iPhone 8 Plus through the Settings menu:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select the option to Erase All Content and Settings.
- If prompted, enter the passcode for your iPhone.
- Tap the option to confirm master reset.
Wait until the reset is finished and your iPhone reboots. Complete the initial setup and use your device as you usually do. Test the microphone to see if the problem is already fixed.
- Remove any accessory that is plugged into the headset jack. Sometimes, this may cause conflict with certain audio functions.
- Make sure the microphone and iSight mic aren’t blocked with your fingers while holding the phone or recording a video.
- If you are using screen protectors, films or cases especially non-Apple made, try to remove them. There’s a chance that any of these accessories can cover the microphone, iSight mic, or iPhone receiver, thus disrupting audio output.
- If the microphone doesn’t work only when using FaceTime, verify and ensure that FaceTime is available in your location.
Seek more help
Contact Apple Support or visit an Apple-authorized service center nearby if your iPhone 8 Plus microphone is still not working after performing all prior workarounds. It is possible that your iPhone has obtained some sort of physical or liquid damage that caused the microphone system to get busted. At this point, your next best hope to get the microphone working again is service. Don’t forget to avail for warranties if your device is still eligible. It can help you save some dollars of service charge.
Connect with us
If you need more help with the use of certain functions and features of the new Apple iPhone 8 smartphone, feel free to visit our Tutorial Page. There you can find a list of how-to contents, step-by-step tutorials, as well as answers to FAQs regarding iPhone 8. If you have other concerns or encountered some troubles while using the phone, you can reach us through this form. Just be sure to tell us more details of the problem or device issue(s) you may have and we will be more than happy to assist you further.
Posts you may also like to read:
- How to fix Apple iPhone 8 Plus that cannot connect to Wi-Fi, having Wi-Fi connectivity problems [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Apple iPhone 8 Plus Charging Issues: What to do if your iPhone 8 Plus won’t charge or charges very slowly? [Troubleshooting Guide]
- How to deal with quick battery draining issue on your iPhone 8 Plus [Troubleshooting Guide]