This post will walk you through blocking a phone number on your iPhone running iOS 12. If you keep getting nuisance calls or text messages from an unknown number then this post will help you put an end to it. The following steps can be applied to any iPhone that runs on the iOS 12 or later platform including iPhone X, XS, XS Max, and XR.
Way back September of this year, Apple has officially rolled out its newest software update (iOS 12) for iPhones and iPads along with the unveiling of its newest products and services. This new software is packed with a number of new features and enhanced functions for security and privacy purposes. In case you’re wondering how and where to access the option to bar unwanted calls and messages on the latest iPhone platform, this post outlines the steps. Feel free to refer to this context whenever you need help.
Blocking a number from your recent calls folder
If you just received unwanted calls from an unknown number, then that number should have been registered in your recent calls directory, which can be accessed through the Phone app. This means you can block that number from that section. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap to open the Phone app from your Home screen.
- Tap on the Recents tab to view the list of recent calls including those that came from the number you want to block.
- Scroll through the list until you find the number.
- Once you find it, tap the information “i” icon next to that number. Doing so will show more details of the number you selected.
- Scroll down to and then tap on the option to Block this Caller.
The selected number will then be blocked and so you will no longer receive any calls from it. Follow the same steps to block other unwanted numbers on your iPhone.
Blocking a number from your contacts list
If the number you wish to block is saved in your contacts list, then you can also block that number through Contacts. Here’s how it’s done:
- Tap to open the Phone app from the Home screen.
- Then tap on the Contacts tab. Doing so opens the list of your saved contacts.
- Scroll through the list and find the contact number you wish to block.
- Once you found it, tap on the contact’s name from the profile page and then select the option to Block this Caller.
The contact number is now added in your blocked list.
If you change your mind and wanted to remove that contact from the blocked list, then you may do so by heading over to the Phone app settings and then access the blocked contacts list. In iOS 12, this information can be accessed through Settings-> Phone app-> Call Blocking & Identification menu then select the contact number you wish to unblock.
After you unblock the contact or phone number, all phone calls, FaceTime, and Messages from that number will be allowed on your device.
For other helpful guides and iPhone tutorials, locate your iPhone from this site’s troubleshooting page and then navigate to the tutorials section.