When Apple released the new iOS 13 update, it has the new and improved features that Apple users are so excited about. The new update aims to make Apple devices more efficient.
Here are a list of iOS 13 supported models:
- iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.
- iPhone SE.
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
- iPhone 8 and 8 Plus.
- iPhone X.
- iPhone XS, XS Max and XR.
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max
Let me give you a little background about the Find My app. One of the most talked about feature on iPhone running on iOS 13 is the Find My app. Its function is not really new to everyone but Apple has made it more useful and convenient. Why is that so? Simply because the Find My app on iOS 13 is the merging of two apps that were previously available on iOS namely Find my Friends and Find my iPhone. The two apps are combined into a single app called Find My. Since it is a combination of Find my Friends and Find My iPhone, its functions are still the same wherein with the new Find My app you can do both finding your friends and finding your iPhone all in one app.
With Find My Friends now in Find My app, you will be able to find your family and friends but make sure that you are authorized or they allowed you to share their location with you. You can not in any way locate your friends and family if they haven’t given you the approval to do so.
This feature can be found in the People Tab in Find My app on iPhone running on iOS13. Moreover, Find My iPhone, also on Find My app allows you to locate and look for devices using the Bluetooth Signal. You may also locate your own devices which can be found in Devices tab in Find My App.
Many are asking about how to find your iPhone when it is offline, lost, or in some instances the battery is dead or the device is powered off. Is it even possible? Yes, it is! The Find My app is regarded as the easiest method to locate an iPhone device. Losing does not necessarily mean it was stolen, it could also mean that you misplaced it somewhere and you forgot about it. Locating an iPhone when it is powered ON uses the new Bluetooth location feature that Apple designed however, with regards to locating an iPhone that is powered off or dead battery requires the use of iCloud and of course the Find My app. You will be able to locate your iPhone its last known location. It’s pretty normal to panic but lucky for you there are ways to locate that lost, battery dead or offline iPhone. Read on below to find out how.
Before you can locate your iPhone, you have to make sure that Find My iPhone feature is enabled on your iPhone. This means that Find My app needs to be set up first. Also, it is recommended to enable the Find My app all the time because we can never tell when we will be using it the most especially if it’s dead or offline. When Find My iPhone is not set up even before you need to use, you will have a great time locating your missing device.
How to Set up Find My app:
- Go to Settings from the home screen of your iPhone
- Tap on your Profile name located at the upper portion
- Then tap on Find My tab
- Toggle ON Share My Location tab
- Next, tap on Find My iPhone tab, Toggle ON. A prompt message appears “Find My iPhone allows you to locate, lock or erase your iPhone if it is lost or stolen. It will also be enabled on any paired Apple Watch or supported Accessory that uses the Apple ID you used”
- Tap on OK.
- Then, toggle ON Enable Offline Finding tab. Activating enables your device to be found when not connected to a WiFi or cellular connection.
- Toggle ON Send last location tab. This will automatically send the last known location of your iPhone for cases when the battery is critically low or dead.
FIND iPHONE THAT IS OFFLINE OR DEAD
There are three options to choose from to locate your iPhones that are dead or offline: locate using your other devices, locate using someone else’s devices and locate using your computer. We will dig deeper the ways on how to locate your iPhone that is offline or dead using the three different ways which will be discussed below.
OPTION 1: USING ANOTHER iPHONE OR iPAD
If you have two or more Apple devices that are running on iOS software, you can locate your iPhone using your other devices given that those devices are logged into the same iCloud account with the one you are trying to locate.
- Go to Find My app on your iPhone or iPad
- Tap on Devices tab
- The list of All your devices synced with other will appear.
- Then tap on the iPhone name that you are trying to locate.
- A map will appear pinning the location of the iPhone.
- Directions will also appear. Which means how far are you from the iPhone you are trying to locate with walking or driving directions on how to get there and the estimated time it takes to reach it.
- If an iPhone is Offline but not entirely dead battery, tap on Play Sound to locate your iPhone. But if the iPhone is Dead, you can choose Notify When Found. This will send notifications and its location on your other device the next time the iPhone will be turned ON or recharged.
OPTION 2: USING SOMEONE ELSE’S DEVICE
If you do not have another device synced to your lost iPhone, you can ask the help of your family and friends to locate it. This means that the iPhone you will be using this time will be someone else’s account. Make sure that you do not sign out the account of that particular someone you asked their help from.
- Launch Find My app from the home screen of your Friend’s device
- Tap on the Me tab
- Next, on the bottom you will see the Help a friend option. Tap on it. It will redirect you to the iCloud webpage. A prompt message will appear “Do you want to sign in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID? Tap and select Use Different Apple ID
- Now, log into iCloud using your iCloud ID and Password
- When a prompt will appear if you want your password to be saved, tap on Not Now.
- Then, follow the on-screen instructions on how to locate your iPhone.
- When you are done locating your iPhone, from your friend’s Find My app on their iPhone. Tap on your Profile name
- Tap on Sign out to logged out.
OPTION 3: USING THE COMPUTER
Ideally, the most common device that most users would try in finding their iPhone is with another iPhone or iPad. But it is also possible to find your lost iPhone using your computer.
So as not to be confused, as mentioned above Find My app is the new app feature that merges Find my iPhone and Find My Friends. With a computer, it is still called Find iPhone.
- Open your browser and head over to iCloud webpage
- Next, Sign in to iCloud using your correct Apple ID and password
- Then click on Find iPhone tab
- Click on All Devices at the upper center portion
- Select the iPhone name that you want to locate
- A map will display the last known location of your iPhone along with the option to Play a sound, Lost mode and erase iPhone. These options are located at the right side of the screen on your computer.
Having Issues with your iPhone or iPad? Feel free to contact us using this form. We’ll try to help.