Want to take a break from Instagram? Deleting your account on iPhone is easy once you know how.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through how to permanently delete or temporarily disable your Instagram account on iPhone.
Steps to Permanently Delete Instagram Account on iPhone
Here are the steps to delete your Instagram account from your iPhone permanently:
- Open the Instagram app on your iPhone.
- Tap on your profile picture in the bottom right corner.
- Tap on the 3 lines (hamburger menu) in the top right corner.
- Select ‘Settings’ from the menu.
- Tap on ‘Account’.
- Scroll down and select ‘Delete Account’.
- Tap on ‘Delete Account’ again (not deactivate).
- Select a reason for deleting your account from the dropdown menu.
- Re-enter your Instagram password.
- Tap ‘Delete’ to permanently erase your account
Once you complete these steps, your Instagram account will be permanently deleted within 30 days. There is no way to recover it after this time period.
How to Temporarily Disable Instagram Account on iPhone
If you want to take a short break from Instagram, you can temporarily disable your account on iPhone:
- Open Instagram and tap your profile picture.
- Tap the 3 lines menu and choose ‘Settings’.
- Select ‘Account’.
- Scroll down and tap ‘Temporarily disable account’.
- Choose a reason for disabling your account from the menu.
- Re-enter your Instagram password.
- Tap ‘Temporarily Disable Account’.
Your account will now be hidden until you log back in. Your photos, followers and all account information will be waiting when you reactivate it.
Backup Instagram Data Before Deleting
Before deleting your Instagram account permanently, consider downloading a copy of your data:
- This lets you save your photos, videos, messages and other content.
- To do this, login to Instagram on a web browser and visit the Download Data page in your account settings.
- Request a download of your information, then save it to your computer.
Should You Delete or Disable Your Instagram Account?
- Permanently erases your profile, photos, followers and messages.
- Can only recover account within 30 days by logging back in.
- Use when you want to permanently leave Instagram.
- Temporarily hides your account, photos and information.
- You can reactivate whenever you want by logging back in.
- Use for taking a short break from Instagram.
Either way, take time to consider if deleting is the right option for you. While Instagram can be overwhelming for some, it still provides a way to stay connected with friends and family.
How to Delete Instagram Account on iPhone via Website
You can also delete your Instagram account from a desktop web browser:
- Login to Instagram.com in your browser.
- Go to: https://www.instagram.com/accounts/remove/request/permanent/
- Select reason for deleting and re-enter password.
- Click ‘Permanently delete my account’.
- Confirm deletion.
Your account will be erased within 30 days. This is permanent just like deleting via the app.
Delete Instagram App Without Deleting Account
f you want to take a break from mindless scrolling but don’t want to delete your account, simply remove the Instagram app from your iPhone:
- Find the Instagram app icon on your iPhone home screen.
- Press and hold the Instagram app icon until it starts wiggling.
- Tap the ‘X’ that appears in the top corner.
This removes Instagram from your phone without deleting your account. You can redownload it later if you choose.
While Instagram can be an enjoyable way to share photos and connect with others, it’s completely understandable if you need to step away for mental health reasons or simply to reprioritize your time.
By following the steps above, you now know how to delete or disable your Instagram account directly from your iPhone. Just be certain before proceeding, as the deletion process is permanent after 30 days.
If you found this guide helpful, consider sharing it with others who may also be looking to delete Instagram from their lives!