If you own an Apple device, having an Apple ID is a requisite. An Apple ID serves a primary key for you to access various Apple services including iCloud, iTunes Store, Apple Books, Apple TV App, Apple Podcasts, Apple Music or the App Store. The Apple ID comprises of the email address and password you use to sign in and all the contact, payment and security details that you will use across Apple services. Thus, creating an Apple ID must be among the first things you should do when acquiring a new iPhone. If you’re new to the Apple platform, then this post will walk you through the entire process of creating an Apple ID and get started to make the most out of your new iOS device. Read further for more details.
Creating an Apple ID during initial setup
You will be prompted to enter your Apple ID and password when you set up your new iPhone or other Apple devices. In that case, you can proceed and create a new one by tapping on the Create a Free Apple ID option. Here’s how it works:
- Start with and follow the setup wizard until you reach the Apple ID screen.
- On the Apple ID screen, tap the Forgot password or Don’t have an Apple ID option.
- Tap Create a Free Apple ID.
- Enter the required information on the provided fields then tap Next.
- Tap the option to Use your current email address if you wanted to use your current email for your Apple ID. Otherwise, tap the option to Get a free iCloud email address.
Follow the rest of the onscreen prompts to complete the entire process until your Apple ID is created.
Creating an Apple ID through settings.
If you opted to create an Apple ID later when asked during the initial setup, you can navigate to your iPhone settings and get this done. Here’s how to create an Apple ID through settings:
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Tap the option to Sign in to your iPhone located at the top of the screen.
- Tap the Don’t have an Apple ID or forgot it?
- Tap Create Apple ID when prompted.
- Enter a birth date then tap Next.
- Enter your first and last name then tap Next.
- Select your current email address or get a new iCloud email address, if you prefer.
- Enter your email address on the provided field.
- Create a desired password. Be sure to take note of that password.
- Verify your password.
- Select a security question then type in your answer. You may have to repeat that two or three times.
- Then agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- To sync iCloud data from Safari, reminders, contacts, and calendars, tap the option to Merge. Otherwise, select Don’t Merge.
- To confirm Find My iPhone is turned on, tap OK.
Your Apple ID will then be created.
If your iPhone is running on iOS 11 and later platforms, you can use the Keychain password feature in the keyboard suggestion box to add your Apple ID and password.
Creating new Apple ID through the App Store
Alternatively, you can set up or create a new Apple ID using the App Store on your iPhone. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open the App Store then tap on the Apple ID profile icon.
- Tap the option to Create New Apple ID. If this option isn’t available, check and ensure that you’re signed out of iCloud.
- Enter your email, password, and select the country or region. The information should match the billing address for your payment method. The email address you provided will then be used as your new Apple ID.
- Tap Next to proceed, then enter further details including your name and birthday.
- Tap the option to subscribe to Apple Updates if you would prefer to stay updated with the latest news, software, products and Apple services.
- Tap Next then enter other details asked.
- Confirm your phone number to verify your identity and recover your account if necessary then tap Next.
- Open your email then read the verification email from Apple. On that email, you will be provided with the steps to verify your email address.
After verifying your email address, you are all set to use your Apple ID to sign into iTunes, App Store, iCloud, and other Apple services.
If you’re having trouble creating a new Apple ID on your iPhone, make sure your Internet connection is working fine and stable. Take note of any error message you see because that will serve as hint for you to determine what went wrong and how to fix it. Or you can also contact Apple Support for further assistance.
I hope that this how-to post has helped you one way or another. Please help us spread the word by sharing this post to your friends or people who may also have similar problems. Thanks for reading!