This content demonstrates a step-by-step guide on how to check the software version and iOS updates to download and install on an Apple iPhone XR. While this may be a no-brainer to loyal iOS users, those who are new to the iOS platform, particularly the iOS 12 interface will likely need this quick walkthrough. If you’re among the target audience, then feel free to use this context as reference. Read further to learn how to view the current software version and available firmware updates for your iPhone XR handset.
If however, you are looking for a solution to a problem, drop by our troubleshooting page for we have already addressed the most common issues with this phone. Find problems that are similar with yours and use the solutions we suggested. If they don’t work for you or if you need more help, then feel free to contact us through our iPhone issues questionnaire.
Why is it necessary to update your iPhone XR?
Smartphone manufacturers like Apple regularly roll out software updates to keep iOS devices secured and free from software bugs. Updates are also pushed to provide additional on-demand features and services for specific devices. It is therefore highly recommended to keep your phone updated as multiple issues such as freezing apps, network connectivity and other feature concerns are likely to occur on outdated devices. Some firmware updates are automatically implemented while others require manual installation. If your iPhone XR is set to automatic updates, new updates will be installed and the system changes are automatically applied into your phone. Meanwhile, if you haven’t configured your phone to auto-update, you will receive a notification about the available update along with the instructions to download and install it.
However, your phone may not be able to notify you of an update if notifications aren’t turned on. This is when viewing the current software version is necessary. If an update is available, then that’s the time when you implement it.
How to check your iPhone XR’s current software version?
Below are the steps on how to check the current software of your iPhone XR or other iOS devices running on the iOS 12 platform:
- From the Home screen, select the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Select About.
- The software version of your phone is displayed next to Version.
- To return to the Home screen, slide your finger upwards.
If the software version of your iPhone XR is not the latest, then you may have to consider updating it. The latest iOS version available for the iPhone XR is iOS 12.2. If your device is still running on earlier versions, check and see if the new update is already up for grabs.
How to check for new iOS updates on your iPhone XR?
Below are the steps for you to view new firmware updates available for your iPhone XR:
- From the Home screen, tap on Settings.
- Tap General.
- Then tap Software Update.
An update notification will show up if a new firmware version is available. The update can downloaded and installed wirelessly or over-the-air (OTA).
Before you start updating though, be sure to back up all your important files from your iPhone for safekeeping. You must also consider reviewing the following pre-update requirements:
- Your iPhone XR must have at least 50% battery life as the update may take quite some time to complete.
- Your iPhone must be connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Your iPhone must have sufficient memory space to allocate the update file. If necessary, delete all unwanted apps and contents to free up some space of your iPhone memory.
- If you opt to update your iPhone XR using iTunes, be sure to use the latest version of iTunes on your computer.
Once you’ve met all these requisites, you can proceed with the update process. Just follow the onscreen instructions to complete the entire downloading and installation process.
How to Enable Automatic Updates on your iPhone XR
Getting automatic updates for the software version of your phone will save you time than updating manually. If you would like to go for automatic software updates, then simply enable Automatic Updates from the settings menu of your device. Here’s how it’s done:
- From the Home screen, go to Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Select Software Update.
- Toggle the switch indicator to enable Automatic Updates.
Once you have successfully enabled the Automatic Updates, you will be notified whenever available software update is out.
The moment that you are prompted for available software update, make sure that your phone has enough battery life and is connected to a Wi-Fi network. If the battery is drained, then you need to connect it to the charger before you proceed. You can review terms and conditions of the new software version before you do the software update, or you can right away tap download and install.
Meanwhile, if you don’t want automatic updates to be enabled on your phone for security reasons, you can either do the update through iTunes.
How to Update Software Version of your iPhone XR via iTunes
If an new iOS version is available for your iPhone XR but you cannot download and install it wirelessly, then you can use iTunes as alternative. To get started, you will need to secure a computer (Mac or Windows) that runs the latest OS and has the latest version of iTunes app installed. The computer must also be connected to the Internet either through Wi-Fi or LAN. Then follow these steps whenever you’re all set to begin:
- From the computer, launch the iTunes app.
- Using the supplied USB cable, connect your iPhone XR to the computer.
- Wait for iTunes to check for available software updates. When prompted with a new iOS version for your iPhone XR, tap Download and Update.
- Then, click Next.
- Review the software details and click Agree.
- Allow iTunes to instigate downloading the software update which will be right away applied to your iPhone XR once completed.
Your iPhone XR will reboot when the update is done. If it doesn’t, then you need to restart it manually (soft reset) to ensure that all new system changes are properly implemented. Restarting the phone after updating also refreshes apps and system services, thus preventing them from acting up following the recent platform transition.
After you have successfully updated the software version of your iPhone XR, you should be able to make use of the additional and enhanced features the new iOS version offers as well as its security patches.
And that covers everything in this guide. Keep posted for more comprehensive tutorials on the latest iPhone and iPad devices to populate soon on this site’s tutorials section. You can also contact our support team, in case you need help fixing a problem with your iPhone XR or any other iOS device. Just visit this site’s troubleshooting page for more detailed instructions on how to get help.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix the problem with your device. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!
- How to fix Apple iPhone XR that stops sending messages after iOS update
- How to Turn Personal Hotspot on or off for the Apple iPhone XR
- What to do if your new Apple iPhone XR won’t charge, charging very slowly or intermittently [Troubleshooting Guide and Charging Tips]