This post will walk you through the entire process of changing or your Apple ID or creating a new Apple ID on your iPhone. Read on to learn how to make these crucial account changes on your iOS device.
What’s an Apple ID and how does it work?
The key to access Apple services including iTunes, iMessage, FaceTime, and App Store, you will need to use a valid Apple ID and password. In other words, the Apple ID is your login for these Apple services. Your Apple ID must be linked to a valid and active email address. You can use a third-party email address or any of Apple’s addresses or email addresses that are ending with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com for your iPhone’s Apple ID. Through this email address, you can stay up to date with the important emails from Apple. In addition, you will also receive an email for every purchase you’ve made from iTunes including Apps and iBooks. You will also receive other important notifications for every new transaction and activity that involves the use of your Apple ID including Apple ID password change, Find My iPhone activities, or set up of the same Apple ID on a new device. All these demonstrate the important of your Apple ID. Hence, your Apple ID serves as the primary key to access and take benefits of all these services through your iPhone or other Apple devices.
Before we jump to the main topic on how to change or create a new Apple ID on your iPhone, it’s important to start reviewing the Apple ID setup process. Doing so will help ensure that you’re doing the right thing. So let’s get started with the Apple ID setup.
How to set up an Apple ID on your iPhone?
One of the first things that you should the moment you get a hold of a new Apple device like iPad or iPhone is to set up or create a new Apple ID on it. If you’re new to the iOS platform, then you will need to sign up for an Apple ID first. And here’s how it’s done:
- Tap to open Settings from your Home screen.
- Next, tap the option to Sign in to your iPhone located at the top of the screen.
- If prompted, select the option that says, “Don’t have an Apple ID or forgot it?“
- Then tap Create Apple ID from the pop-up screen.
- Enter all the required information such as your birthdate, first and last name then tap Next to proceed.
- Then select your current/existing email address if you want to use it as your Apple ID. Otherwise, you can create a new iCloud email address from scratch instead.
- Enter all necessary email information including your complete email address and password.
NOTE: Typically, you will be asked to create a password for your Apple ID account. The password for your Apple ID is different from that of your email account. While it’s ideal to use different password for your email account and Apple ID, you still can set up the same password if that’s what you wanted. Just be sure to take note of this information as you will need to use it later when downloading apps from the App Store or using iTunes, FaceTime or iMessage on your iPhone.
- To finish the setup, Agree to the Terms and Conditions then choose how you’d want to sync your iCloud data from Safari, contacts, calendars and reminders. When asked to confirm Find My iPhone is enabled, tap OK.
And with that, your Apple ID is now set up and ready for use on your iPhone.
ALSO READ: How to create a new Apple ID
What to do after setting up your Apple ID on your iPhone?
Now that you already have signed up for an Apple ID, you can use it to sign into iCloud using your device. Assuming that you haven’t done so yet, here’s what you should do next:
- Open Settings from your Home screen.
- Tap the option to Sign into your iPhone, located at the top of the screen.
- Next, enter the email address and password that are linked to your Apple ID.
- Then tap Sign In to continue.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode.
Wait until the sign in process is finished. By then, you’re all set to use that Apple ID to avail Apple services through your iPhone.
So let’s say that you’re already signed into your Apple ID on your iPhone and that you’ve already used it to download apps from the App Store, to update your phone software through iTunes as well as when setting up FaceTime and iMessage.
But later on, you realized that you would want to use a different email address as your Apple ID. This is when you need to change your Apple ID on your iPhone. Read further to learn how it’s done.
So you’ve just changed your mind and that you would want to change your Apple ID or use a different email address for your Apple ID on your iPhone. If that is so, then you will need to sign out of every Apple service and device wherein your existing/active Apple ID is being used. However, you will need to stay signed in to your Apple ID on the device that you want to use when changing your Apple ID. For example, if you want to use your iPhone to change your Apple ID, then you have to stay signed to your current Apple ID on that iPhone.
The process of changing your Apple ID may vary depending on what type of email you’re using and the steps are demonstrated below:
If you’re using a third-party email address for your Apple ID, sign out of every Apple service (iTunes, App Store, iCloud) and device that uses that Apple ID, then continue with these steps to change your Apple ID using your iPhone:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings.
- Tap your Apple ID header (Your Name) on the top of the screen,
- Then tap Name, Phone Numbers, Email.
- Navigate to the Reachable At section.
- Then tap Edit to continue.
- Delete your current Apple ID.
- Tap Continue then enter the new Apple ID that you want to use.
- Tap Next then follow the rest of the onscreen instructions to finish adding your new Apple ID credentials.
Alternatively, you can change your Apple ID by navigating to appleid.apple.com on your other device. Once you get to this website, proceed with these steps to edit your Apple ID information:
- Click the Sign In button.
- Enter your previous/existing Apple ID and password.
- Navigate to the Account section then click on Edit.
- Click the option to Change Apple ID under your Apple ID.
- Then enter the new Apple ID that you want to use.
- Click Continue. A list of emails will then be shown.
- Select your preferred email type.
- Select the email that you want to use as your Apple ID.
Important note: If the Apple ID that you want to change has @icloud.com domain and was created within 30 days, you may be asked to try again later.
What to do after changing/creating your new Apple ID on your iPhone?
After changing your Apple ID or password, you will need to update your sign-in information with any Apple services that you’re using.
So here’s what you should do then:
- On your iPhone, tap Settings from your Home screen.
- Tap on your Apple ID label (Your Name) on the top of the screen.
- Select iTunes & App Store.
- Enter your updated Apple ID and password, if you are already signed out.
But if you are still signed in with your previous Apple ID, then tap on your Apple ID then select the option to Sign Out. After signing out, enter your updated or new Apple ID and password to sign into iCloud, iTunes, and App Store on your iPhone using the new Apple ID.
Aside from entering the updated Apple ID and password on your iPhone, you will also need to update your Apple ID and password information when signing into the Apple Support website and Apple Support Communities.
You will also need to update your Apple ID and password on your iPhone for FaceTime. To do so, go to Settings-> FaceTime menu, then continue with any of these options:
- Tap “Use your Apple ID for FaceTime” and enter your updated Apple ID and password, if you’re already signed out on your iPhone or enter your updated Apple ID and password on your iPad.
- Tap your Apple ID (Your Name) then tap Sign Out, if you’re still signed in with your previous Apple ID on your iPhone or iPod touch and then tap “Use your Apple ID for FaceTime” and enter your updated Apple ID and password to sign in. If you’re using an iPad, just enter your updated Apple ID and password and you should be all set to use Apple services on your device again.
Besides FaceTime, you also need to update your Apple ID and password set for Find My iPhone app on your iPhone. So this is what you should do to update your Apple ID credentials for the Find My iPhone app:
- Sign out from iCloud/iTunes/App Store. If you’re already signed out, enter your updated Apple ID and password.
- If you’re still signed in with your previous Apple ID, tap on your Apple ID header (Your Name) then select the option to Sign Out.
- If prompted, tap Sign Out again to confirm that you want to sign out of your Apple ID.
After signing out, enter your new or updated Apple ID and password to sign into your new Apple ID account for use to operate Find My iPhone app on your device.
What to do if you can’t change your Apple ID on your iPhone?
An Apple ID that is associated with an email address ending with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com can’t be changed to a third-party email address or emails ending with @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, etc. The Change Apple ID option is also not available on your account page, thus giving you no option to delete your existing email from your iPhone.
Contact Apple Support or your email provider’s technical support and ask them to walk you through the correct procedure in changing or creating new Apple ID associated with your email address based on the type of email you’re using and would want to use as new Apple ID.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix the problem with your device. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!